W&D Training Diary - Now PASSED! YAY!

Guys thanks for the congratulations…I’m pleased to say that i’m still as high as a kite now as when i heard those magically words earlier today.

So some 13 hours after passing i figure i had better put an account of what happened today on here.

I arrived at the yard nice and early…6AM! Who knew it was still dark at that time? :laughing: I’m then told…I was going to ring you about cancelling your test, the lights on the trailer we had a problem with earlier in the week, until the lecky came out and fixed it last night. However it is still tempermental on the power pack. Do you want to cancel it?
Lets run the risk :exclamation: At least, worse case senerio, i will be able to have a reverse and braking exercise practice at the test centre.
So off we leave, in the dark, lights on. I must admit that this journey has found me discovering a hightened level of respect for HGV drivers but after this morning, those that do night driving…well its just a total new experience. :smiling_imp:
Anyway, we leave Hednesford and head off to do the Stafford run. However, this doesnt materialise due to us being being concerned about the light. Thankfully, as it turned out it didnt matter anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

We get up to the reverse pad and on the drive up to it we decide that we will knock out three reverses and leave it there, weather they be good or bad. Thankfully all three go well and end up being in first time no shunt. I’m happy that i didnt leave there on a bad one otherwise who would have known how it would have gone at test. We spend about 10 mins just having a natter and relaxing. We then leave and get up to test centre and arrive 20 mins early…heck better than being late.
I’m first on test this morning and i’m greeted by the examiner. Lovely chap, who breaks everything down and explains everything after noting down my details.
First up is the braking exercise. Thankfully everything i have been taught this week and also with the rigid comes flooding back and i’m soon going 3rd to 4th, checking the speed, cones approach quickly and brakes applied. Handbrake, neautral…Thank you very much Ben, now if you would like to follow it round and stop just short of the entrance into the bay.
It is here that we do the questions…
‘Can you please tell me the safety issues that should be taken into account when loading the vehicle?’
Can you show me how you would insert a tachograph properly please?

Both of which i take my time and give a complete answer with all the detail i can remember in my head. The tacho one i was told to reinsert the tacho that i had already filled out this morning.

The examiner then jumps out and begins to set up the reverse pad before signalling me to enter the pad and allign myself up for the reverse. I take it nice and steady on entering the pad, remembering that it was here on the rigid i caught a kerb, and allign myself up as straight and turn as possible. He then signals for me to begin. I take it nice and slow, making sure that everything i do is required for the ultimate goal…getting into that bay. As i say i take my time and eneter the bay first time and align myself up, before applying the handbrake, stopping the engine and getting out to check…spot on! :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: :stuck_out_tongue: PHEW!!!
If you would like to pull forward somewhere about 3/4 the length of the reverse pad and then stop…No problem and i pull down.

‘Right Ben I would like you to uncouple the vehicle and reverse back alongside and then wait for my next request.’
Jump out, handbrake on the trailer, Legs, Walk round take the rear number plate, disconect the airlines and lift the pin. Pull forward and reverse back along side before pulling up.
‘Now i would like you to recouple back on to the same trailer, however, i would like you to treat it as thou you have never used it before’
I hop out, check the brake is still applied and begin a daily check routine of the trailer. As i walk round checking everything off i replace the number plate and end up eventually back where i began. Jump back in the cab and pull forward before reversing back and finishing just short, as to leave the eye under the rear bumper. Back out and lower the pin ready and check the height of the trailer. Everything looks good so back into the cab and reverse back with a little umph. Do this and go for the tug test…pull straight back out :angry: :angry: The trailer didnt take…DO NOT PANIC!! :open_mouth: Back out lift and lower the pin…Right Second time. This time i’m pleased to say it took. :unamused: :smiley: Complete the rest of the tasks (pin indicator, legs, brakes) and then the dreaded words i had feared all morning…Can you check my lights please?
All lights on and i get the thumbs up :unamused: :sunglasses: :grimacing: and the examiner rejoins me back in the cab.
‘Right Ben it is now time for the on road segment of the test.’

I must admit i breathed a sigh of relief at this point as the light must have held… :stuck_out_tongue: From the test centre we leave by turning right and right again along the bouncy road up towards the Stone Island. It is here we are mid natter when he has me pull up facing down hill. Thankfully not a problem and i must have done everything by the book. Line of traffic on coming when prevents the cars behind over taking… check mirrors, cars still behind, indicator on, check blindspot, check mirrors again and away we go. Down towards the Stone Island which during the off peak hours is bad so you can imagine it during the school run. It is here we turn left…not a problem dont cut both lanes as you can get round. Ahhhhhh road works have shut inside lane…let the unit run past before squeezing thru and then build speed. Not much space between the trailer tyres and the cones i will say but not touching :laughing: We then head up towards Tittensor (same route as my rigid) and im careful with speed as i pass the road men. Eventually following this route you come to an island on top of an island and it here that my major major fault occured and i knew that it would as i entered the island. I’m told to turn right at the first island, back towards Stone. Looking back i should have pinched the right and middle lane to allow myself room to come round. However, for some stupid reason i took the right only. As i pulled up i knew i had done wrong but do you announce it and draw attention to it or hope fore the best. Anyway as we came round the read trailer tyres mount the kerb of the island :blush: …BUGGER!!! :imp: :imp: But will not panic…i’ve failed right? so i might as well drive to the death and then pick myself up.
We head back towards Stone and past Morrisons. I love it up here cos you have to take the middle of the road otherwise people will come up either side of you and catch you out. From here we head back towards Stone Island. Then its left at the island once again, this time back towards Stafford along the dual carriageway. We enter the outskirt of Stafford and turn right into Holmcroft Road. It is at the end of here i pick up an undue hesitation. I could have made it, however, decide not to chop someone up and complete mess up the test and sit and wait. Eventually there is space after a kind lady flashes me out. From here it is a nice simple ride back down the Eccleshall Road back to test. Simply checking everything off in the mirror and slowing down for anything big coming the otherway, even stopped a few times as it was really tight.
We pull back into the test centre and i pull back into the spot i had taken when we arrived this morning.

‘Ok Ben when you are ready if you would like to switch off you engine…

I’m pleased to tell you, you have passed!!’

:open_mouth:

Now my actual wording is slightly lost but i think it was something along the lines of

‘Really??’

:grimacing: :unamused: :grimacing:
thoughts SHUT UP YOU IDIOT!! :blush:

We have a quick debrief where im naturally told i’ve picked up a minor for the kerb and three others.

To be honest i knew i had messed up when i got to that island. Sameway any other day, any other examiner, any other test centre and lady lucky might not have shined so bright for me. However, i would like to think that as the rest of the drive was decent that stood me in good stead and i had the benieft of the doubt overall.
Once again i cant recommend Grants enough! Even more so considering as i booked both Classes there i’m given 7hrs CPC free of Charge :wink:
:laughing:
Now the hard yards and the ‘real’ learning begins. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: