Dangerous goods advice- UK regs and ADR

Copied from here: ADR + driving licence counterpart? - SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTE - Trucknet UK

thedeerhunter270:

My boss tells me, its law, I must carry both parts of my driving licence when carrying hazardous goods?

I can’t see why - but there you go.

Hi thedeerhunter270, the regulations for carrying dangerous goods come in several ‘layers,’ depending on the method of packaging and/or the total amount carried.

If you’re carrying Limited Quantities, Excepted Quantities, or a load that’s below the relevant ADR transport category threshold for the goods, then you’ll not need an ADR certificate.

If the load you’re carrying is in excess of the relevant ADR threshold for the transport category of the goods, you need the extinguishers, orange boards, documentation, ADR licence etc.

What I think your boss might mean is that when you’re carrying a load that’s in excess of the ADR threshold, you need a form of photographic ID ALSO. BTW, this has been the case since 2005 in the UK. I imagine that your boss thinks it’s easier for him to require you to carry your photocard driving licence in order to meet that requirement.

To answer your original question as you wrote it, there’s no requirement as such to carry both parts of your driving licence when carrying dangerous goods. :smiley: