Personal Question

Met my wife in 1978, married in 1981 and started driving in 1984. Only did locals at first but started doing 4 - 5 nights out in 1987 on UK work and since 1989 I have been away 4 - 5 nights virtually every week going over the water. Still married and everything is fine, had the odd moment or two in the past 26 years were it wasn’t always perfect but then that is only to be expected and none of the problems were down to the job.

One thing I have found over the years is that my wife and children have there routines during the week and I have to fit in with them when I come home, I can’t expect them to alter it just because I am there. You also tend to make the best of the time you have together.

I also hear drivers complaining about wanting to be home with their families yet when they get home they spend all there time down the pub etc with their mates so see less of their family than I do of mine.

Prior to starting driving my wife and I worked together in the catering trade and we were together almost 24 hours a day 365 days a year and that is a lot worse than the way it is now. Spending that much time together you have nothing to talk about and the smallest disagreements become major arguments lasting several days.