Blood, Sweat and Broken China (the Removals thread)

Ray Smyth:
I found these adverts for removal firms in the Bootle History Forum. NMPs.
Ray.

I thought it was only me who enjoyed reading Yellow Pages. Wherever I went in the country staying in hotels I always picked up the local yellow pages and read the pages & about the removal contractors working in the area. In those days they were the best form of advertising, and the example you show, Ray, was average. It was a costly business For Spennymoor, because of our location we had half a page in Durham area, Newcastle area, Northumberland, & Middlesbrough, with adverts also in later days in Sheffield area, Wellingborough and about & about 4 directories that covered London.

I forget where me & my ex-wife were staying many, many years ago and we were lounging in the room with her watching TV & me reading Yellow pages and she asked ‘Shall I nip down to the bar & get us a drink each?’ So off she went to order two brandy & gingers and about to bring them back into the room when the waiter said ‘I’ll carry those up for you madam’ 'No ’ she replied ‘I can manage’ ‘It would be more than my jobs worth, if I let you’ So into the lift they went and when she opened the room door entering with a waiter in uniform carrying a tray was me laid on the bed totally naked with just Yellow pages to protect my modesty.