Trying to find night trunking work as a new pass

The-Snowman:
Not to sound harsh but if you spent ages trying to reverse in the daytime on an assesment then night trunks might not be a good idea.
Many times with night trunks you arrive at a place and it can be a madhouse with trucks and shunters moving about everywhere, not to mention itll be dark and the possibility of it raining. You also have the 5,000,000 watt spotlights and maybe a blindside reverse onto a bay.

Course you might also just do a simple trailer swap at a services but they arent all like that. Im not having a go or anything because up till a few years ago I was lucky if I was still in the right yard after id finished reversing!

Can I ask why you want night trunks specifically?

That’s not harsh, it’s a fair point. To add a bit more colour to the assessment reverse, I’d done all my lessons and test with a slightly shorter trailer that had only two axles and a 4x2 tractor unit (it was the only configuration the school had and I’d got on well with the instructors during my class 2 so I didn’t think to look elsewhere for class 1), so the assessment was my first time driving a triaxle trailer with the tailswing, and a 6x2 unit, and my nerves keep getting to me under test conditions so I was really pressuring myself to not screw up (and avoid wrecking anything in the yard) :cry: When the assessor then asked me to do a blindside reverse into a yard bay after the ten minute benny hill warehouse bay reverse, I nailed the blindside in one brief attempt which surprised the both of us, I think it was a bit like when you feel like you’ve surely already failed something the pressure then vanishes (but made failing the assessment all the more frustrating because I felt like I’d at least demonstrated potential especially since they knew it was my first time properly reversing :frowning: )

I was mainly focusing on night trunks because I’m quite nocturnal and really don’t mind the then-quieter repetitive bland trunk roads, so I felt like it may be less overall pressure (self-inflicted or otherwise) as an initial job to get me fully accustomed with regularly driving a large vehicle (I’m not implying I’m a danger on the roads, I just don’t have a very confident personality in general cause I’ve always been introverted and am still fairly young to this game called life :laughing: )