Insecure load? REALLY?

cav551:
Both pallets look to be moderately heavy, the front one clearly has shsrp edges and the rear one looks as if the conents can roll. Putting a strap over either pallet is hardly going to do much.

So I blame the driver who collected it. He should have refused the goods as unsuitable for carriage as packed. ‘That’s not going on my wagon like that mate’.

Why’s this so hard? I used to work as a porter for a removals company. We carried everything in box vans, obviously, but individual items still had to be restrained to stop them toppling and causing damage.

Everything that was a potential risk was strapped. If the item could damage the strap, or the strap could damage the item, then it had a blanket or two put over it before it was strapped. We never broke anything due to a fall in the van. Yes it takes a (short) time, but there’s no point in delivering something that you’ve damaged.

Officially, ordinary curtainsides are not a means of load restraint or containment. So if the item can’t be restrained, then it can’t go in a curtainsider, and needs repacking. I’ve sent a car engine by pallet network. We scrounged an old pallet, strapped the engine on it, and then knocked together a timber frame to hold it all in place. The driver who picked it up complimented us on our packing.