Astran / Middle East Drivers

ERF-NGC-European:

bluenosebulls:

ERF-NGC-European:

bluenosebulls:
What are the views on ERF C or E series and Foden fleetmasters on M/E work?

Can’t think of any ERF C-series, E-series or Foden Fleetmasters that went down there off hand; but loads of ERF B-series did! Many of them had LHD. Some companies like Trans Arabia, Caravan, Star Commercial, CAMEL and Taseco ran ‘internal’ fleets of them out in the Gulf and thought highly of them (see the Trans Arabia thread). Taseco ran hundreds of them, including C-series. Companies and O/Ds that ran B-series ERFs overland included Manadient, Beresford, Eric Vick, Peter the Plod, Duxbury, Richard Read, Nick Bull, John Hallaway and CVH. There were others, of course. To be fair on the E-series, Middles-East work was fast drying up by the time they became popular. Hope that helps. Robert

Thank you Robert thats very helpful, i did see a post of a foden fleetmaster but cant remember who it was running for.

How about Leyland roadtrains/ marathons or Bedford TM’s? Ive watched destination Doha, and read the Astran book, they say the marathon was unreliable.

Yes, later Marathon 2s were much improved. Hardly any Roadtrains that I know of, but a few Italian-spec TMs with Detroit 400s did. I suggest you scroll back through the threads and find the series of threads I started on British LHD lorries on long-haul work. Here are the titles of the ones that included Middle-East stuff (as far as I remember) Oh, and don’t forget the ERF ‘European’ 1975 thread.
12. Long-haul Cab Packs
34. Left-Hand Drive B-series ERFs
35. LHD Leyland Roadtrains
42. LHD Bedford TMs
44. LHD Leyland Marathons
45. LHD Ford Transcontinentals
46. LHD Seddon-Atkinson 400s
57. Best ‘70s Middle-East unit
59. Guy Big-Js on long-haul work

Oh and there’s the LHD Foden 4000 thread too; here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=118481

Hope that helps too!