ERF 'European' (1975)

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:
As an aside to my ^^^above reply re 8MW cabs, I would point out that there is almost certainly no danger that one of our known NGCs will turn out to be a re-cabbed non-NGC which used to have a 4MW / 6MW cab. I say this because I know of no 4x2 units with that cab that was sold in UK or Europe (all 6x4s). The only single example of a 4x2 4MW that I can find went to NZ, and as that was a wrecker even that one may have been a cut down 6x4. Robert

Wouldn’t that premise logically translate as 8 MW being mainly meant as a factory identifier and referring specifically to loose 7MW cabs provided with a factory made mounting kit which made them 8 MW by default ?.Which might answer the question as to the mounting kits all being factory designed if not also fabricated specifically for their respective applications.Which then raises the question of loose 7 MW cabs and mounting kits also being provided for odd number retrospective use in addition to 8 MW.So it’s quite possible that odd number MW’s could also have been retrospectively modified with loose 7 MW cabs just as even number types could.I’d guess that the Cauvas unit might fall into that category ?.IE retrospective fit of a loose 7 MW cab using factory supplied mounting kit ?.

Yes indeed. To sum up, it seems probable that 7MW cabs could be retro-fitted to chassis previously bearing 5MW cabs; and that 8MW cabs could be retro-fitted to chassis previously bearing 4MW / 6MW cabs. I think what you are suggesting is that if that is the case, then some of our so-called NGCs might turn out to be MGCs with later-fitted 7MW cabs. That could put a spanner in the works! However, there is a quick test: the NGC chassis was waisted behind the cab, so the fuel tank appears at a slight angle on the chassis rail and you can see the difference using the rear mudguard as a reference point.

A word of caution though, we know of no rumoured or documented examples of 7MWs replacing 5MW cabs. We also know of only one documented 7/8MW cab replacing a 6MW cab and as that was RHD the issue is clouded. It seems we’re on the right track but in sore need of evidence. Robert

Robert,remember the chap i spoke to who put the new cab on Pountains motor at Cossington’s.He said that
they had to put some sort of kit on that one so the cab could tilt.

To be honest, I’ve always regarded that as a bit of a one-off job as they had either to convert the cab to RHD first, or perhaps use only the outer shell. Robert