Ferry crossing and driving/rest hours

barrykam:
No disrespect to any of you but as there still seems to be conflicting answers I did abit of digging and found the following which rings a bell as to what I was taught:

i. The daily rest period may be interrupted, but only twice, allowing the vehicle to be driven on to a ferry and off at the end of the sea crossing. However, this will depend on the length of the ferry crossing
ii. Any interruption in rest must be as short as possible and must exceed no more than 1 hour
iii. Where the rest period is interrupted in this way, the total accumulated rest period must still be 11 hours.
iv. During the rest period, the driver(s) must have access to a bunk or couchette
v. Time spent on a ferryboat or train which is not treated as daily rest can be treated as a break

Can’t see how you are confused ■■

pierrot 14:
Arrive at port , get ticket etc and park up, lets say 10.45. Put it on break.
Start to move to board at 12.15, that gives you 1hr30 break so far. :::::::::::::1.30
On board put it back to break and switch to ferry mode, now 12.30.
Called back to vehicle on arrival start to move at 20.30, another 8 hrs.:::::::::::8.00

You’ve done 9hrs30 so far, so now you have to go park up in the port and put it on break for another 1hr30.

Don’t forget you are allowed only 2 movements within that eleven hour period and it must not be more than one hour. Your first movement was 15 minutes, so if it isn’t possible to park up in the port, you have maximum of 45 minutes to go find somewhere to park up.

tachograph:

barrykam:
Gents, forgive me if it’s a stupid question but my transport manager has just confused the hell out of me. I have a ferry tomorrow from Poland to Sweden. The ferry departs at 1300 and is due to arrive at 2015. I will arrive at the port at approx 1030 and will put my tacho straight onto the Ferry setting. I will board the ferry and say that will take 20 minutes, getting off the ferry probably another 20 minutes.
Am I correct in saying that I should then go and park up until 2130 to give me my 11 hour daily rest or should I park up until 2130 + the 40 minutes for me moving to get on and off the ferry?
Thanks for any advice.

The part I’ve coloured blue is the correct answer :wink:

You must have 11 hours rest on top of the movements onto and off the ferry, so if you start the daily rest period when you reach the port at 10:30 and spend a total of 40 minutes getting on and off the ferry you will can’t start the next shift until 22:10.

In other words the interruptions to the daily rest period cannot be counted as part of the daily rest period.