Middle East - Not Astran!

bullitt:

mushroomman:
David Duxbury from Chorley ran a well equipped tidy fleet in the 70s/80s in similar colours to Davis Turner.

Photo courtesy of Trucker Ash.

Great picture that Steve, definitely makes a statement. :wink:

Yes Rick, that photo is one of my all time favourites and David had some good lads working for him. I remember running with a lad called Mick Benn who used to work for him and he told me that David was a gaffer who wasn’t scared of getting his hands dirty and that he was an excellent mechanic. When David packed up, Mick bought himself a red coloured second hand Volvo 89 and starting running down to the Middle East with it and about six months ago a Long Distance Diary was posted on one of the threads on Trucknet with a story about Mick on a trip to somewhere. If anybody can find it could they try and post it on this thread please.
If you remember Alan Sleight R.I.P. (Trucknet member Big Al) we used to correspond quite a lot and David Duxbury’s son who had his own truck a few years ago used to go into Alan’s yard now and again. Big Al asked him on my behalf if he had any old photos of his dad’s old wagons and he said that he would call in and see his mum to see if she could find any. This was a few years ago and sadly as you know, Alan passed away a couple of months later and that was the last that I heard about of David Duxbury.
When I first joined Trucknet, Trucker Ash very kindly sent me a few old Middle East photos that haven’t been seen on here for quite a while. That David Duxbery White was one of them along with this D.A.F. called Super Simon which I.I.R.C. Ash drove this down to Istanbul.
So credit for the photos go to Trucker Ash who I hope doesn’t mind me reshowing them.