Electronic logs

Pat Hasler:
What I am saying is that you don’t actually need to take a full 10 hours off duty before starting again and therefore the 14 hour rule does not apply.
I can give you a recent example of how the 8 hours sleeper worked… On Wednesday I had a 23.00 appointment at Ben & Jerry’s in St Albans VT, I left Yonkers at 14.00 giving myself 9 hours to take my time and get there, I had it worked out to deliver then go home, which is 2 hours south of St Albans and take 10 hours, after getting to about 70 miles up I-87 I got a call saying they had full tanks and could I deliver at 06.00 next day, after getting the call I had thought of stopping on the way up instead but at my house the snow and ice would mean there was a chance of getting stuck and waking people up at 2.30am didn’t appeal to me so I went all the way up, I arrived in St Albans at 21.00 and went in sleeper mode meaning I could start again at 05.00 and get the 8 hours in, I started after the 8 and drove round to B&J’s, although this was way over the 14 hours without a full 10 hours off, it gave me 4.5 hours driving and 5.5 hours duty, I left B&J’s and went home, instead of taking 2 hours I then took the full 10 off.
My point is that using this method you can actually just have 8 hours off provided you start the 8 hours with time still available. I didn’t need to take just the 2 hours.

It’s easy to explain, a break of 8 hrs extends your 14 hrs work window, each break less than 8 hrs does not. If you take the 8 hrs break you will have the remaining on duty and drive hrs available till your 14 hrs window ends.
You have always only 14 hrs plus 8 hour break is 22 hrs total, than you have to take another 2 hrs (or more), this will move your new starting point to the end of your first break (end of the 8 hour break). You can take more than 8 hrs to extend your 14, as soon as you have 10 hrs completed a new 14 hrs window starts.
If you take the 2 hrs (or more) break first it doesn’t extend your 14 but after another 8 hrs break it will move your new starting point of the 14 to the end of the 2 hr (or more) break.
The 8+2 rule is not the same as a 10 hr break!
An example:
Left my home last week on Monday
on duty and driving at 13:22
off duty at the shipper at 19:37
on duty again at 01:11 (break of 5:04)
off duty and sleeper at 03:32
on duty and driving again at 11:41 (break of 8:09)
off duty and sleeper at 22:55 (had still about 15 minutes on duty left)
took then a 10 hr break and was back to a normal schedule
I don’t like driving in the night at these times, but so I could leave Los Angeles in the night and avoided the big mess in the morning. I didn’t need my full 14 and 11 for the next day so I started after the 8 hr break.
I’m glad that the e-log did the math :laughing:
(Forgot to mention, my e-log is on Central Time, the actual (local) times were 2 hrs earlier)