Driving hours records exemptions

Hello all,

First post on truck net, and it starts with a question.
Hypothetically speaking, under the exemptions of recording driving hours ( saying that the vehicles will be over 3.5t) if your vehicles were used for managing traffic, installing temporary traffic signals and motorway lane closures etc. Does that come under the exceptions under ‘vehicles used in connection with road maintenance and control’ ?and wouldn’t require drivers to record their hours?

Many thanks in advance

Jimmy

Use a drivers logbook

Thanks Matt,

appreciate your help

could also be driver cpc exempt as from what was posted it seems the driving is not the main activity

the exemption isn’t for the need not to make / keep driving records. it’s an exemption from the EU rules. if you’re exempt from the EU rules then you’ll come under GB domestic. that gives you the option to record your hours on either your digi card / wax chart like normal, or in a log book. personally i wouldn’t get too inventive with a log book as the digi tacho unit in the truck will still be making a record! i personally always just put my card in when running on domestic, even when i don’t need to make a record.

on domestic, any day you don’t drive for more than 4 hours and don’t go out of a 50km radius from the operating centre, then no records are required for that day

Personally i think the drivers should record their working and driving hours regardless.

Sometime the guys could be doing 14 hours days, but only 5 hours driving (to and from a site)
Nights shifts in the truck could be 12 hours, but only 2 hours driving to the job, but part of that job involves driving for a couple of hours too, how would that fit with night time working rules?

It all seems a bit of a mine field to me.

As for driver CPC, im not ure we need that as, the vehicles that would need a cpc would only go to one job site, set up then go park up untill it is ready for removal. does that need a cpc?

Jimmy-P88:
Personally i think the drivers should record their working and driving hours regardless.

Sometime the guys could be doing 14 hours days, but only 5 hours driving (to and from a site)
Nights shifts in the truck could be 12 hours, but only 2 hours driving to the job, but part of that job involves driving for a couple of hours too, how would that fit with night time working rules?

It all seems a bit of a mine field to me.

As for driver CPC, im not ure we need that as, the vehicles that would need a cpc would only go to one job site, set up then go park up untill it is ready for removal. does that need a cpc?

the night time working rule doesn’t apply to domestic hours, like most of the wtd doesn’t! this is all that does apply - you are entitled to health checks as a night worker. 48 hour average working week, but you can opt out of that. 5.6 weeks holiday pay. an entitlement to adequate rest

also on domestic, you can only ‘work’ (not shift length) 11 hours in following 24 hours from when you start. unless you don’t drive over 4 hours each day of the week, in which case there’s no limit