Electronic logs

Pat Hasler:
Exactly… This is a way around the 'no driving after 14 hours law, I love it, I wouldn’t have ha the nerve to try that before.

What way? Russ is talking about Canadian HOS regs and you’re talking about US regs so how is your elog letting you drive after the 14 hours in the US? I fully understand the 2+8 rules on a rolling 24 hour period (if my example below is correct, it may not be) in the US but what is this driving after the 14 hours rule your elog is allowing for? Or are you talking about Canadian HOS rules with regards your forays north?
Sorry, just confused as to whats been said here. As far as I’m aware, no driving may be permitted after 14 hours in the US, though you can remain on duty beyond 14 hours. In Canada you may not be on duty beyond the 16th hour or the 14th hour if the conditions Newmercman described above are not met.
Its my understanding that in the US, the 2+8 rule on the rolling 24 is as follows for an example. Log on duty at 6am, go off duty/sleeper berth at 12 noon until 2pm (must be a block of 2 hours minimum, unlike Canada) and then log off no later than 8pm, which is 14 hours, no extensions allowed. The next day you can choose to start after 8 hours due to the 2 hours the day before, so that gives a starting time 4am and due to the rolling 24 hour period and the requirement to show 10 hours off in any 24 hour period, you must log off duty/sleeper berth at or before 12 noon so that your 2 hour break commences no later than 24 hours prior to the matching period the day before. None of this however gets around the 14 hour duty period.