ADR question

oh this had me scratching my head for a hour or so today…

if a loaded fuel tanker (for instance) breaks down, and is recovered does the recovery driver need the relevant adr qualifications?

just curious.

This question came up when I was on recovery. As I at the time held my tanker ADR (since lapsed) it was a moot point, but I remember the answer being along the lines of if it was recovering a tanker to a place of safety then lack of ADR would be overlooked, especially considering that the tanker driver would probably accompany the recovery driver.

If however a long recovery was required then the recovery driver would need to be suitably qualified.

That’s my understanding anyway.

qwakers:
oh this had me scratching my head for a hour or so today…

if a loaded fuel tanker (for instance) breaks down, and is recovered does the recovery driver need the relevant adr qualifications?

just curious.

Hi quackers,

The short answer to your question is, YES a recovery driver needs an ADR licence if an ‘in-scope’ vehicle is to be recovered.

However, there is provision in ADR for an emergency situation.

Here’s chapter and verse on what ADR has to say about emergencies:

ADR 1.1.3.1(d)
The carriage undertaken by the competent authorities for the emergency response or under their supervision, insofar as such carriage is necessary in relation to the emergency response, in particular carriage undertaken:

• by breakdown vehicles carrying vehicles which have been involved in accidents or have broken down and contain dangerous goods; or

• to contain and recover the dangerous goods involved in an incident or accident and move them to the nearest appropriate safe place;

To give that some context, I’d say that the situation has to be a ‘proper’ emergency, and the transport of the stricken vehicle has to be a part of the emergency response, whilst not forgetting the word ‘supervision’ in the quote. Oh, and the journey won’t be covering much distance.

As long as the quoted part above is complied with, then ADR doesn’t apply to that journey in those circumstances.

I’d go as far as to say that the decision is NOT one that’s made by a recovery driver, or even the recovery driver’s boss.

Now to deal with the brew room fairy story that often gets a mention… :wink:

It matters not whether the driver of the stricken vehicle happens to be a passenger in the recovery vehicle during the recovery operation because:

ADR 8.2.1.1
Drivers of vehicles carrying dangerous goods shall hold a certificate issued by the competent authority stating that they have participated in a training course and passed an examination on the particular requirements that have to be met during carriage of dangerous goods.

In other words, the recovery DRIVER has to have an appropriate ADR card if the vehicle being recovered is ‘in-scope’ of ADR, unless the exemption at 1.1.3.1(d) applies.

Those who imagine that the driver of the vehicle being recovered being carried as a passenger on board the recovery vehicle will make any difference are possibly confusing the rules concerning the supervising of a learner driver with what’s in ADR. ADR doesn’t contain a mix-and-match option.

:bulb: Scratch your head no longer mate. :smiley:

good answer :slight_smile: it was a good brain teaser and nice to have expanded my knowledge even if it is just on a small section of driving. :laughing:

Could the recovery driver just have ADR awareness if the driver of the broken down lorry was a passenger :question:

ROG:
Could the recovery driver just have ADR awareness if the driver of the broken down lorry was a passenger :question:

Sorry ROG, but ADR 8.2.1.1 above takes care of that.

The ‘supervision’ is to do with the emergency services and the emergency response.
That’s in 1.1.3.1(d) and quite separate to any other provisions contained in ADR, because if one is compliant with 1.1.3.1(d) then nothing else in ADR applies.

These are two completely different parts of ADR, and there’s no mix-and-match option. :smiley:

Thanks DD