ADR on tow.

Random question.
I saw a calor gas wagon today fully laden with 100’s of gas bottles being towed.
It got me thinking, does the tow truck driver need to be ADR trained and does the towing vehicle have to show the orange HAZ plate?

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

Common sense tells me that the ‘combination’ will be the same as if it was just the ‘vehicle’ but I defer to a definitive answer from DD

I agree with the common sense statement but the tow truck wasn’t displaying any orange HAZ board.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

If the recovery driver has the appropriate ADR then they can recover it alone.

If not then the ADR qualified driver of the vehicle being recovered must travel with the vehicle.

Not sure on the plates but all markings would already be on the vehicle veing recovered.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The tow truck driver doesn’t require ADR but only so far as to recover it to a safe place.

^^^

What he said.

If the driver has been “hospitailised”, the vehicle would have to be moved to a “Place of Safety”

So basically having your ADR is a load of b******* because Wayne from your local recovery firm could technically deliver your gas bottles to a “safe place”

Road2ruin:
The tow truck driver doesn’t require ADR but only so far as to recover it to a safe place.

OK so far, but there’s a bit more in ADR to this exemption…

The carriage undertaken by the competent authorities for the emergency response or under their supervision, insofar as such carriage is necessary in relation to the emergency response, in particular carriage undertaken:

• by breakdown vehicles carrying vehicles which have been involved in accidents or have broken down and contain dangerous goods; or

• to contain and recover the dangerous goods involved in an incident or accident and move them to the nearest appropriate safe place;

SouthEastCashew:
So basically having your ADR is a load of b******* because Wayne from your local recovery firm could technically deliver your gas bottles to a “safe place”

To the nearest place of safety, not to your preferred place of safety in this case I would guess. So Wayne is OK to drag it out of the roadworks to a layby but he has to either be ADR qualified himself or accompanied by an ADR driver and display all necessary markings to recover the vehicle from that place of safety to the companies yard.

nsmith1180:

SouthEastCashew:

To the nearest place of safety, not to your preferred place of safety in this case I would guess. So Wayne is OK to drag it out of the roadworks to a layby but he has to either be ADR qualified himself or accompanied by an ADR driver and display all necessary markings to recover the vehicle from that place of safety to the companies yard.

The recovery firm I drive for have just put us through an ADR awareness course (7 hours towards your DCPC)

We wanted to know as recovery drivers how we stood with this scenario.

If we get to a broken down ADR vehicle & the driver is present, they are carried in our recovery lorry cab & classed as the ADR attendant.

If we get to an ADR vehicle where the driver has been hospitalised we are to take instruction off the police or fire brigade on scene or the safety advisor for that load as to where the “Nearest safe place” is. Depending on the nature of the load the nearest safe place could be the other end of the country if that is the only premises capable of dealing with or storing that load.

The police or fire brigade can then ■■■■■■ a non ADR qualified recovery driver to the designated safe place.

The recovery lorry must display the relevant markings but all the equipment required E.G. spill kits, fire extinguishers etc. will be on the vehicle being towed.

So you need an ADR to recover some old bloody tanker?
What a load of bollox
What the hell do they “teach” you on an ADR course?
Sod all but give us the money.
The wrecker man probably knows more about ADR than the monkey driving the truck.

Bking:
What a load of bollox
The wrecker man probably knows more about ADR than the monkey driving the truck.

I’ll address each line in turn.

Yes, you would need ADR to recover ‘some old bloody tanker’.

No, it isn’t a load of bollox.

Quite a lot actually, have you ever done one? If not, how are you fit to judge?

Whilst more money is involved in ADR, which is why most of us ADR licenced drivers did it in the first place, You also get a licence to carry dangerous goods. This is important because:

It doesn’t matter how much the wrecker man knows. It doesn’t matter if he holds every qualification under the sun except ADR because its the law of the land. If you have dangerous goods and don’t have that little card from Scotland, (or the paper part) then you cant carry it.

nsmith1180:

Bking:
What a load of bollox

Whilst more money is involved in ADR, which is why most of us ADR licenced drivers did it in the first place, You also get a licence to carry dangerous goods. This is important because:

It doesn’t matter how much the wrecker man knows. It doesn’t matter if he holds every qualification under the sun except ADR because its the law of the land. If you have dangerous goods and don’t have that little card from Scotland, (or the paper part) then you cant carry it.

I’ve often heard “bollox” from the ignorant at the start of a course, the favourite being along the lines of “it’s bollox, because it comes from the EU,” or some other such nonsense.

Whilst it’s true that ADR might appear to the ignorant that it comes from the EU, the simple fact is that it DOESN’T.

ADR actually comes from UNECE, which is far bigger than the EU.
As an organisation, UNECE facilitates international trade (amongst many other things) so the basic idea is that there is a single international agreement between approx. 50 countries that they will move dangerous goods internationally by an agreed set of rules.
:bulb: That saves international drivers from having to learn the vagaries of differing national rules covering the transporting of dangerous goods when they do international work. On an ADR course, drivers learn a standardised set of rules for international work plus a couple of other ‘national’ bits and bobs.

:bulb: If Bking could only realise that the notion of ADR can be likened to a MAC or a TAC in his chosen field, because the intent of the lawmakers to standardise things is the same. :wink:

The next question is (given that ADR covers international journeys) how come it’s needed for a national journey from Birmingham to London? (A very good question.)

Each member country of ADR is therefore still free to make their own national rules (for national transport) within their territory, and the UK is no exception to this. This includes penalties for breaches, because ADR doesn’t set any penalties. It’s therefore important to realise that breaches of ADR are handled and dealt with very differently in the various member countries.

So the answer is an easy one, and the answer is… Because the UK Parliament and HM the Queen said so!

We’ll start with The Health and Safety at Work (etc) Act 1974 (which Bking might have heard of.) :wink:

The 1974 Act gives rise to a set of UK Regulations called The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2009, which we shorten to CDG 2009 but only because the full title is a bit of a mouthful.

Of that whole set of Regulations, Reg.5 is the most important because it tells us that in most instances, we should do most things as per ADR.
The rest of the Regs in the set (and a couple of other lawbooks) tell us what we are to do differently and in what circumstances it should be done differently.

So Bking, it IS the law of the land and you will usually need an ADR licence to “recover some old bloody tanker” quite simply because the UK Parliament and HM the Queen said so!

So getting back to the original question as it seems that it is being answered by NON ADR holders and ADR holders. I’m obviously going to be believing the ADR holders as these gents are going to know more than the RDC rumour mongs.
So the calor gas wagon (broken down) was being towed and as far as I could see there was a person in the passenger seat which may of may not of been the driver of the calor gas wagon. Now I don’t know if the gas bottles were full of empty but as far as I am aware you have to be showing orange warning plates if they are empty or full. But the tow truck was not displaying any orange warning plates. So regardless of what type of ADR load is on the towed truck. What does the tow truck driver need to hold and do before he tows it. I know common sense says yes to ADR and yes to ORANGE WARNING PLATES but I would like to know the real answer without everyone getting their knickers in a twist.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4

SWEDISH BLUE:
^^^

What he said.

If the driver has been “hospitailised”, the vehicle would have to be moved to a “Place of Safety”

SORRY, I should have said " the NEAREST place of safety"

dieseldave:

nsmith1180:

Bking:
What a load of bollox

I’ve often heard “bollox” from the ignorant at the start of a course, the favourite being along the lines of “it’s bollox, because it comes from the EU,” or some other such nonsense.

Whilst it’s true that ADR might appear to the ignorant that it comes from the EU, the simple fact is that it DOESN’T.

ADR actually comes from UNECE, which is far bigger than the EU.
As an organisation, UNECE facilitates international trade (amongst many other things) so the basic idea is that there is a single international agreement between approx. 50 countries that they will move dangerous goods internationally by an agreed set of rules.
:bulb: That saves international drivers from having to learn the vagaries of differing national rules covering the transporting of dangerous goods when they do international work. On an ADR course, drivers learn a standardised set of rules for international work plus a couple of other ‘national’ bits and bobs.

:bulb: If Bking could only realise that the notion of ADR can be likened to a MAC or a TAC in his chosen field, because the intent of the lawmakers to standardise things is the same. :wink:

The next question is (given that ADR covers international journeys) how come it’s needed for a national journey from Birmingham to London? (A very good question.)

Each member country of ADR is therefore still free to make their own national rules (for national transport) within their territory, and the UK is no exception to this. This includes penalties for breaches, because ADR doesn’t set any penalties. It’s therefore important to realise that breaches of ADR are handled and dealt with very differently in the various member countries.

So the answer is an easy one, and the answer is… Because the UK Parliament and HM the Queen said so!

We’ll start with The Health and Safety at Work (etc) Act 1974 (which Bking might have heard of.) :wink:

The 1974 Act gives rise to a set of UK Regulations called The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations 2009, which we shorten to CDG 2009 but only because the full title is a bit of a mouthful.

Of that whole set of Regulations, Reg.5 is the most important because it tells us that in most instances, we should do most things as per ADR.
The rest of the Regs in the set (and a couple of other lawbooks) tell us what we are to do differently and in what circumstances it should be done differently.

So Bking, it IS the law of the land and you will usually need an ADR licence to “recover some old bloody tanker” quite simply because the UK Parliament and HM the Queen said so!

Yes last Adr “course " I went on really taught the rookies about the reality of blowing a tank,about the problems of blowing a gas tank too fast,about the most important things if your going to run a tank.
And you know why? because the nearest these “experts” have been to a tank is a picture on a computer.
But these"experts” bought themselves a bit of paper that qualifies them to “teach” you (at a price) to be allowed to do a job these shysters know jack ■■■■ about.

I sat an ADR the other week funnily enough this subject came up and according to the guy who gave the course the tow truck driver now needs his own ADR a recent change I’m sure he said . And should have shown an orange plate also on the front of his truck

chester1:
I sat an ADR the other week funnily enough this subject came up and according to the guy who gave the course the tow truck driver now needs his own ADR a recent change I’m sure he said . And should have shown an orange plate also on the front of his truck

Corrected Thank You :smiley:

I changed my Calor gas 46kg cylinder, and got a mate to fetch it home for me on his builder’s truck. We’ve done it before, but reading this thread, it appears that it’s illegal. is that right?

chester1:

Thankyou for a decent reply. I knew it was probably right about the tow truck driver needing an ADR licence and to display the orange boards but was 100% sure that’s why I asked. It’s just a shame that we can’t all give a straight forward answer to the questions that get asked on here. I know a few other chaps gave the answer you have put in their own way but they all seemed to get shot down with idiots replying with stupid comments.

Sent from Platform 9 3/4