Passengers.

Hi guys, I’m currently reading everything available on here about moving/living/working in Canada. Everything you fellas post is valuable information, so firstly, thank you.
My situation is pretty good to try and make a go of it over there. As it would be just me and my wife, what is the attitude of companies you’ve experienced to taking a partner or wife with you on trips?

Thanks, Andy.

The two companies that I have worked for in Manitoba have both allowed passengers; but make them sign a waiver. This is for insurance purposes and it would be a good idea to make sure that your passenger has medical and travel insurance if going to the US. Passengers also have to be registered on the customs manifest when entering the US in a truck so always let your company know that you have company. I don’t always carry passengers in my truck. But when I do; I prefer non-smoking, fit-looking blondes, aged between 25 and 35.

You would have to ask the company you would work for. But most of them will let you take a passenger and there are quite a few couples living in trucks over here.
Just ask if they have a rider policy, that’s what they call it here. My mrs traveled with me for the first 3 months when we came over.

ChrisArbon:
The two companies that I have worked for in Manitoba have both allowed passengers; but make them sign a waiver. This is for insurance purposes and it would be a good idea to make sure that your passenger has medical and travel insurance if going to the US. Passengers also have to be registered on the customs manifest when entering the US in a truck so always let your company know that you have company. I don’t always carry passengers in my truck. But when I do; I prefer non-smoking, fit-looking blondes, aged between 25 and 35.

Male or Female we wonder… :wink:

Thanks for the swift replies. If we were to live in the truck at first, would we need a physical address to satisfy immigration requirements? We wouldn’t want to sell up here just in case. We have minimal mortgage payments so would just rent our UK house out until we found somewhere we liked. Holidays would be OK as my dad lives in Denver and my mum the Bahamas.

cliffystephens:

ChrisArbon:

No need to wonder, Cliffystephens, just buy a copy of my book; “Canadian Longhaul Trucking” and all will be revealed.

its sold out Chris oh bugger…

actualy Chris looking at it on amazon might well get wife to buy it me for xmas is it a good read …

cliffystephens:
actualy Chris looking at it on amazon might well get wife to buy it me for xmas is it a good read …

September issue of Truck and Driver magazine did a review of the book and said it was essential reading for anybody wanting to take the plunge and try truck-driving in North America. It has been as high as number 4 in the Amazon Best-sellers list.

monkeynuts:
Thanks for the swift replies. If we were to live in the truck at first, would we need a physical address to satisfy immigration requirements? We wouldn’t want to sell up here just in case. We have minimal mortgage payments so would just rent our UK house out until we found somewhere we liked. Holidays would be OK as my dad lives in Denver and my mum the Bahamas.

Most companies will let you use their address

I have worked for 2 companies and been a self employed driver getting loads from broker with their name on the truck. Both actual companies refused point blank to allow passengers. The O/O bit I did permitted passengers if I paid extra to the insurance company. DOT will give you a point on your CSA record for carrying unauthoised passengers so it’s best to carry written permision.

Never heard of a Canadian company having a problem with it and I’ve also never heard of the US DOT bothering about those passengers in a Canadian truck. I know a few guys who have their wives with them all the time without official papers from the company and its never been an issue. You can’t get a passenger over the border on the ACE manifest without the company doing it, so getting written permission is a bit moot.

I assume that as my 3 year old would not be allowed to sign a waiver, that <18s is a no-no.

Shame as it’s definitely something I’d like to do.

dar1976:
I assume that as my 3 year old would not be allowed to sign a waiver, that <18s is a no-no.

No, kids are seen all the time in trucks here during the holidays. Some companies specify a lower age limit such as 8yrs old, but most aren’t in the slightest bit bothered in my experience so long as there is only one passenger in the cab. My previous company had to say no to a Romanian driver who wanted to take his wife and two kids but said that one passenger at a time, regardless of age was fine.
Never heard of any one here signing a waiver either, at the very most you’ll just get a letter filled in by the company giving the passenger permission to be there.

robinhood_1984:

dar1976:

No, kids are seen all the time in trucks here during the holidays. Some companies specify a lower age limit such as 8yrs old, but most aren’t in the slightest bit bothered in my experience so long as there is only one passenger in the cab. My previous company had to say no to a Romanian driver who wanted to take his wife and two kids but said that one passenger at a time, regardless of age was fine.
Never heard of any one here signing a waiver either, at the very most you’ll just get a letter filled in by the company giving the passenger permission to be there.

Interesting. Thanks for that info.

As I get nearer to 40, I’m thinking that it’s time to move on from this depressing place.

Onwards and upwards for me and the littlun

robinhood_1984:
Never heard of a Canadian company having a problem with it and I’ve also never heard of the US DOT bothering about those passengers in a Canadian truck. I know a few guys who have their wives with them all the time without official papers from the company and its never been an issue. You can’t get a passenger over the border on the ACE manifest without the company doing it, so getting written permission is a bit moot.

Be careful in the U.S.!
At the time I was driving from Canada to the U.S. I was asked two times when I had a DOT inspection for the written passenger authorization for my wife!
Better to have one, also was asked for at the border crossing in Coutts AB / Sweetgrass MT once.

Tom

ChrisArbon:

cliffystephens:

ChrisArbon:

No need to wonder, Cliffystephens, just buy a copy of my book; “Canadian Longhaul Trucking” and all will be revealed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canadian-Longhaul-Trucking-Dry-Freight-Flatdecks/dp/1469998335/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387042888&sr=8-1&keywords=canadian+longhaul+trucking

Wish it was available on kindle

Neil1x:

ChrisArbon:

cliffystephens:

ChrisArbon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canadian-Longhaul-Trucking-Dry-Freight-Flatdecks/dp/1469998335/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387042888&sr=8-1&keywords=canadian+longhaul+trucking

Wish it was available on kindle

Yeah Chris, any plans for your publisher to make available on the Kindle platform?