Bucket list

Hi all, not sure if what I’m thinking of doing is even possible but thought at least I’d try. I’ve recently been retired (medically) after being a class 1 driver for over 25 years, now here’s the idea. Since I’ve loads of time on my hands I’ve been thinking of going to America for a holiday but with a difference. I was thinking of seeing if I could go as a passenger with a driver on a couple of runs to see what truck driving in the states is really like and to get a real view of the country and not the usual holidaymaker sightseeing crap. I know and accept the fact I wouldn’t be able to drive but is my idea even feasible?
Is there any companies that would allow this or is there even any drivers that would be happy with a complete stranger sharing their cab for 2-3 weeks??

I see your thoughts on this. You need to find an independent owner operator who s willing to take you, most companies wouldn’t permit it. My company for instance doesn’t even allow company employee’s to ride passenger without permission, let alone others. Try going on the US trucknet and enquiring, you may get a response but be careful :exclamation: Having met loads of US drivers, most of them are ravin nut cases LOL.
Your other option would be to contact an actual company and ask, they may then give written permission for you to go with a reputable driver, it’s a long shot but it may work.

You could always try “Drive-away”; which is delivering cars and trucks across the US. You don’t get paid, but do get to see the country, use the truck-stops and mix with the non-tourist people.

Any of the companies I’ve worked for in Canada wouldn’t give a flying rats willy about taking passengers so you could try and take that route and in a Canadian truck you’ve probably got a better chance of seeing more of America than in a US truck which sounds strange but when you consider more and more US trucks do regional work between depots etc and a Canadian truck will take the load from Canada all the way to destination and then another load all the way back again. Do you have any mates from the UK who’ve come to Canada to drive you could go with?

Thanks for the advice lads, gonna contact a few companies in Canada and see how they respond. Watch this space lol.

You’d be better off finding a driver to take you than asking companies, like Robin says most companies don’t give a toss and at worst, you sign a piece of paper for insurance purposes.
Ask on the various trucking forums.

It’s all very well asking a driver but if he is stopped south of the Can/US border by DOT it’s a point on the drivers CSA record and a fine if he doesn’t have written permission.

With H&R we signed some insurance form, got given a copy to show when stopped.
Never got asked for it in the US or Canada.
The DOT weren’t bothered or interested.

Strange :exclamation:
The very first question I get when stopped by DOT is “Are there any passengers with you ?”

neilg14:

Same as this.

The DOT only make trouble for well known rebellious types who drive tankers.

robinhood_1984:

neilg14:

Same as this.

Not so, They know I am a good guy :laughing:

robinhood_1984:

neilg14:

Same as this.

Tanker drivers that run the scales you mean