Date through for class 1 everybody!

Hi guys and girls,

i went out today for my assesment in an artic!!! what a buzz :sunglasses: :sunglasses: drove it fairly well booked up lessons i was told noting till the end of june :frowning: :frowning: . but there you go i had to accept it. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

then like a god was looking down on me :wink: my instructor phones up an hour later " good news " he says, can start you on 24th may with test on 29th at 8.45am :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

so if everyone could hone their physic energy :laughing: :laughing: for saturday 29th may and will me to pass i would appreciate big time and owe you all a big beer!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

gonna wite on here a daily diary while i train that week if thats ok with you guys and you never know may help other people in the process which would be nice :laughing: :laughing:

anyway guys i am off to have a cup of coffee to try and calm down from the excitement of havin my first drive in an artic!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Nice one Margateโ€ฆ :smiley: :smiley:
That really was a stroke of luck wasnt it :question: :wink: I know theres nothing worse than having to wait for the time to come round. Its always bad news wishing your life away, but that what you end up doingโ€ฆ believe me, I did enough of itโ€ฆ

best wishes margate, and good Luck when you take your Class 1 buddyโ€ฆ

All the Best

nice one andy, catch up with ya later on msn mate :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good Luck :exclamation: :smiley:

Keep clear of the coffee thoโ€™, if its good coffee itโ€™ll only make you even more hyper :laughing: :laughing:

I hope it gose well for you,mine is in the first week of august,ages yet :cry:

sorry to hear that john o :frowning: :frowning: i was like that today when instructor first said end of june so i know how you feel mate :frowning: :frowning: but lucky for me a cancellation came up and i got priorty cause i had done class 2 with them :smiley: :smiley: let us know how you get on mate :smiley: :smiley:

I have gone for a 6 speed wag and drag rig,I drive and passed in a splitter.
I dicided to make life a bit easier for my self :wink:

6 speed wag and drag

still new to this i avenโ€™t a clue what that is john o and what the difference is between that an a artic :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Wag and drag mate is a rigid with a free standing trailer as oppose to a tractor unit with a fith wheel coupling to conect to a longer trailer with legs. This will be described better than I am doing right now! :blush:
Basically wagon ( as you expect to see a class2) drag (aditional trailer)
I hope that helps :blush:
Anyway good luck both of you, please keep a diary it helps others that are looking to train and it keeps everybody elseโ€™s feet on the floor. :smiley:

john o,
Whilst you still have time to re-arrange things, I would seriously consider changing to a school where you can train and pass your test :wink: on an articulated outfit.This is likely to be of far more benefit to you out there in the real world of class one trucking!
I would estimate that out of every 100 large goods vehicle with trailer outfits on British roads, 95 are articulated and only 5 are drawbar (wagon & drag ) types.
Of course, the training school you have booked with wonโ€™t mention this, as itโ€™s just their job to get you through the test on test day.They can use the same motor for class C or class C&E tests just by coupling up the drawbar trailer on the days when a class C&E learner is booked. :sunglasses: -saves 'em the operating costs of an extra artic unit and articulated trailer.
I would also say that taking lessons and the test pulling a BOX type trailer (rather than a flat) would be far more realistic nowadays.

Itโ€™s your call of course, - but think about it , you will have taken and passed your test on a vehicle similar to one you will be driving for a living for the forseeable future, rather than one (probably) only leading up to, and on, test day .

What do other new(ish) drivers think ?- Did you pass C&E in a drawbar outfit and have a culture shock when you got your first job in an artic? :open_mouth:

Totally agree with what youโ€™ve said the graham, i passed in a unit and box, and to be perfectly honest thatโ€™s all iโ€™ve driven up til now. Iโ€™ve been offered wag and drag work but i wonโ€™t take it, (no disrespect to any wag and drag drivers).

I think that learning in a flatbed trailer should be stopped aswell, like you say unrealistic.

Another thing that should also be bought in, having a load on the back. I can remember going out for the first time fully loaded up, i was white knuckling it totally all the way.

I know our test is the hardest to pass in the europe, but i really do think it needs an update and shuffle about to really apply to most aspects of the job and not just driving.

ok, rant over

iโ€™ll shut up

hehe

tiggz

Yhat was my point in a post about the ex army school at Leconfield. The trucks are about 12 or 13 ton gross with a short centre axled flat trailer which resembles a big pallet. These are not at all like a 44t Articulated truck with a 13.6 metre box.

For anyone who has only ever driven a rigid, the training these companies give is great, but they should also use an artic with a semi trailer, if only to teach coupling and uncoupling and reversing!

I agree with every thing you guys say about artic training as opposed to wag and drag.
I am quite fortunate in having a choise of several jobs that offer a good into training and driver assesment before being dropped in the deep end,I plan to do day or so bigrig artic expereance training.
This covers revesing,uncoupling,driving ect.
I am no stranger to the deep end,having spent most of my life there :smiley: