Automatic Gears?

I’m a new pass Class 2, Still looking for my first job!

I passed my test in an automatic and searching for a job has got me wondering because it doesn’t state in any ads whether the lorry’s are auto or manual.

Can anyone put a % on what’s likely to be the case:
Automatic Vs Manual gears

Cheers

Omega:
I’m a new pass Class 2, Still looking for my first job!

I passed my test in an automatic and searching for a job has got me wondering because it doesn’t state in any ads whether the lorry’s are auto or manual.

Can anyone put a % on what’s likely to be the case:
Automatic Vs Manual gears

Cheers

As long as you passed your car test in a manual it doesn’t matter what gearbox the truck has you can drive either

Sent from my truck

I would say there are more automatics now, but some places may run with either a few or many manuals in the fleet. Your introduction may well be when someone hands you the keys and you go out and look down at the gear stick.

Given that you are a new pass, possibly going out and doing multi-drop with a split gearbox 26 tonne rigid may be a little too much to ask, but most places should be aware of the fact that you are a new pass and asking you what you passed your test in. Possibly build up your experience with the size and weight of the vehicle driving automatics then you will be ready to try a split gearbox.

Some places may insist on an assessment in a manual and it is a case of sink or swim, but failing an assessment doesn’t mean you can’t drive, it just means you weren’t ready at the time.

A lot of people make truck gearboxs sound like some some of mystery , it’s no real different from a car, clutch down move stick clutch up, ok a lot of have more gears buttons and switches on the stick so more to remember, less rev range between each, need to move the stick around more etc but even back when you had to use a manual for test, you could easily had a completely different style of box and you have only really had a few hours at it when going for the first job.

I am In the same boat only driven an auto truck and waiting on my resit, but you won’t need more than an hour or so to get to grips with it for the most part, like all things will have a good number of brain ■■■■ moments but take it easy, and no reasonable employer will hold it against you just be honest with them and you will be clutch less shifting a twin splitter in no time

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Honestly, you just wing it.
Best way to learn.

Majority of trucks sub 10 years old will be auto. Some will be manual; these will be either up to 18 tonne or tippers. (There are other special applications but let’s not get complicated). Up to 18 tonne will be a straight 6 speed box. Heavier tippers will be either range change, splitter or combination of both.

Some artics are manual, but are outnumbered by auto. If manual, normally range change.

There really is nothing to worry about. When I started driving c50 years ago, I learned on a 4 speed crash box. But I’ve since driven virtually everything out there and no instruction given. Anyone with a bucket full of common sense can sort it out. And Google is your friend (a benefit I never had!)

Have fun, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

i drive an auto…but mine has a clutch pedal too, to be used when pulling away etc, just remember to press it down when you are coming to a stop at the lights :smiley:

adam277:
Honestly, you just wing it.
Best way to learn.

Exactly this [emoji51]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Just find a gear to get out yard, then wing it. Will crack it in no time.