Auto or Manual Gearbox

I passed my class 2 in a manual 8 speed split gear box and I’m now considering going for my class 1. I’m trying to decide whether I should train in an automatic to make it a bit easier or go manual again. I’ve read that some class 1s have 16 speed gear boxes which I’ve never used so I’m thinking I should train in a manual again as I don’t want to be caught out. However I know that a lot of the industry uses automatics now.

I’ve always thought that allowing someone to pass in an auto which then qualifies them to drive a manual is just wrong as it should be the same as it is for cars. But should I try and make things a bit easier for myself if the future’s going to be mainly auto? I’m going to have to jump one way or the other but what’s the thinking out there? Thanks

If I were you I would go back to your previous training provider as it worked out well for you last time.

The transmission aspect is not as important as picking a good trainer.

Paul

if you go for the easy auto option then id think you will always feel like a ■■■■■ for not doing it properly.no doubt the examiner will make allowances for you driving a manual and its not as if you will be dragging 46 ton around with you for half an hour.have the balls to do it in a manual,and thereafter you can look down on the fannys that did it in an auto…have some pride in your abilities…itl still be the same test and doddle anyway

dieseldog999:
if you go for the easy auto option then id think you will always feel like a ■■■■■ for not doing it properly.no doubt the examiner will make allowances for you driving a manual and its not as if you will be dragging 46 ton around with you for half an hour.have the balls to do it in a manual,and thereafter you can look down on the fannys that did it in an auto…have some pride in your abilities…itl still be the same test and doddle anyway

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I’m that Fanny! :open_mouth:

It doesn’t make a jot of difference what you passed in, ONCE you’ve passed! :wink:
I’ve driven a manual since and eaten a Yorkie at the same time! :smiley:

but don’t you lie in your bunk at night with your thoughts in that secret dark place deep deep down inside you thinking…if only I had sat the test in a manual…wheres your pride,wheres your self respect…hang on…wait a minute…you were agency for a while wernt you… :wink:

The thinking is that once a driver knows how to operate a manual then they can adapt that to all the various types of manual - same goes for autos

This is why there is no emphasis on passing in either type and why most choose the easier auto option for passing a LGV test in

We have been through this debate many times on here so there are plenty of threads to read on the issue

dieseldog999:
but don’t you lie in your bunk at night with your thoughts in that secret dark place deep deep down inside you thinking…if only I had sat the test in a manual…wheres your pride,wheres your self respect…hang on…wait a minute…you were agency for a while wernt you… :wink:

I still am, and you’ve cut my gammy limp to the bone! :cry:
:wink:

look on the bright side…at least your not on the same night trunk…night,after night,after night after night,… :slight_smile:

dieseldog999:
look on the bright side…at least your not on the same night trunk…night,after night,after night after night,… :slight_smile:

What’s a night out in a truck? :open_mouth:
I’m not doing my real trucker cred much good am I? :laughing:

Yep, I’m a Fanny! :blush:

puur reading eyes in…not a night out in your truck,but a job on a night trunk…night after night after night… :slight_smile:

I don’t agree with taking a test in an auto.I passed with an 8 speed ‘slap-over’ and drive an 8 speed ‘split’. And I’m glad. Especially if you’re a new pass starting your first job,there’s enough to worry about without ‘how does this gearbox work?’.
That way,if I’m given a truck with a switch marked Dunce Nob and ■■■■■■,i’m not stumped. But I would be the other way round.
The 15 plate auto DAF that I drove I wasn’t impressed. I wanted my manual back.

Given that the OP has already passed a test with an 8 speed I see no reason why he shouldn’t take his CE on an auto. Highly unlikely he would find a 16 speed training vehicle - though there’s probably one or two out there. So it would probably only be an 8 speed again so achieving nothing.

BTW, I have no axe to grind as I run a mix of manual and auto.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

dieseldog999:
puur reading eyes in…not a night out in your truck,but a job on a night trunk…night after night after night… :slight_smile:

Sorry pal, was knackered after a long day…
I’m not nights mate, it just feels like it with a 4 am start! :cry:

But back to the topic! :smiley:

I don’t think it matter what you pass in, but what does matter is whether you can drive a manual when needed!
I’ve come across lots of newbie drivers that haven’t touched a manual and failed assessments because of it…

Do whatever you feel gives you the best chance of passing, you only learn to pass a test with a trainer, you learn how to be a lorry driver every day after you pass your test.

Do Auto draw bar ,make life easier for you pal.simple easy and class 1 licence gained.
This mentality of do the artic 60 speed manual
And your a Man is laughable.