Straping pallets - full load of empty pallets

Hi all just a quick question please, I’m have a load to go out of empty pallets on a curtainsider. I was told only to strap the rear pallets.

Not too sure if I should do them all? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

FUZZ

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Strap them all, the curtain is just ‘‘weather protection’’ treat most loads as if you was driving a flatbed.

shullbit:
Strap them all, the curtain is just ‘‘weather protection’’ treat most loads as if you was driving a flatbed.

Many thanks for the quick response. I will do so.

I have carried many loads of blue Chep pallets and never strapped them in, with a full load you are going to struggle getting a strap over them anyway unless you slide the roof back and climb above a safe working height.

Thats my final answer.

It comes under the weight issue i think. If the stack isn’t over 400kgs, my memory of cpc course, says it’s ok unstrapped.

Thank you all for the advice it’s much appreciated.

I should have gone for no straps at all!!!

I picked up the loads and it was actually Morrisons green crates on pallets.

Straped the lot… Wat a job!!!
The problem was getting tiped. Pulled on a bay and it was tip out the back.

Struggled my arse off to get the Ratchet off and straps out.

A friendly fellow trucker said to only strap the last 2 side by side pallets with 2 crossed over internals and two through the pallets. But no straps if its loaded to the door.

I think you could have spotted me as a Newby from out of space.

Did I mention it was my 1st day out by myself as a class 1 driver. [emoji41]

Thank you again for all the advice guys.

gov.uk/government/publicati … ised-goods

If DVSA pulled you and the load wasnt secured in some way, you would probably get a fine. Its not just about getting from A to B its what happens when you get there and you open the curtains or back door and some unsecured empty pallets fall out onto someone. The job can be a ballache sometimes, in all honesty i would have used internals if available, but even this may result in a fine if pulled, it depends on the overall weight of the stack, if its more than 400kg then internals will not suffice.

A chap pallet weights 28kg, so you should be able to put stacks of 13 or 14 on with internals.

shullbit:
Securing loads on HGVs and goods vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK

If DVSA pulled you and the load wasnt secured in some way, you would probably get a fine. Its not just about getting from A to B its what happens when you get there and you open the curtains or back door and some unsecured empty pallets fall out onto someone. The job can be a ballache sometimes, in all honesty i would have used internals if available, but even this may result in a fine if pulled, it depends on the overall weight of the stack, if its more than 400kg then internals will not suffice.

Have you ever seen a pallet?

FuzzButt:
I should have gone for no straps at all!!!

If its an XL trailer and XL curtains and its loaded within XL trailer regs, then you might be alright. But personally I’d have gone with min internals even with XL just for safety.

400KG is the limit for those so assuming not a 15’ trailer then going by figures here, you’d prob be alright with them.

Wouldn’t take too much notice of what other drivers say you can get away with. DVSA really won’t care if driver Mike says he never straps them, as you’ll be getting hit with the fine and possibly your boss when either you get stopped or something falls out.

Btw, don’t worry about looking like the newbie. There’ll be plenty there who are glad you did it right but its the know it alls on site who’ll be vocal.

Wheel Nut:

shullbit:
Securing loads on HGVs and goods vehicles - Guidance - GOV.UK

Have you ever seen a pallet?

Would you like to explain your question?

Wheel Nut:
I have carried many loads of blue Chep pallets and never strapped them in, with a full load you are going to struggle getting a strap over them anyway unless you slide the roof back and climb above a safe working height.

Thats my final answer.

Lucky you - I’ve done several of their depots. Each one really slow and FLT drivers not great.

I have not strapped as the pallets have been packed to the roof, then rear doors opened and packed in tight. As for strapping they don’t allow you on the trailer and so one struggles. Whether XL or standard curtains one should always have a crossed strap at the back unless packed to the doors. Some folk have quoted weights. My understanding is that if whatever is strapped that is fine with DVSA. The fine of £100 is applicable where every strap should be… ratchet or roof strap.

With standard curtains I was told that anything over 3ft high should be strapped otherwise can be left provided pallets are packed tight from the front.

It is an HSE requirement that any depot should provide the steps but not so often is that the case I have found. It is the driver who carries the responsibility once they have left the yard. No steps - one can complain but as I have found one doesn’t get much support.

Worst loads I have taken are recycling bags and tyres. On a long distance trip they joggle/move - there is a recommended way of packing them but seldom will the driver be allowed to ensure it is done. I resigned from my last job.