New driver March? Business picks up

So I’ve been to the temporary agencies and they all tell me that business only picks up in March. I thought this business would’ve been relatively easy to get into but for some reason every single temp agency says to me march time is when business picks up.

Seem to me that the temp agencies promise you this and that

I only been out once that was on Monday. I thought in this Industry people needed HGV driver this is very discouraging I do not know what to do.

Why does business pick up in march?

I am around manchester if anyone knows someone who takes on new drivers?

notao:

EASTER

Did you listen to the false statements about there being a general driver shortage :question:

ROG:

notao:

EASTER

Did you listen to the false statements about there being a general driver shortage :question:

Or the false statements about high pay, and respect?.
Sorry…couldn’t resist.[emoji3]
Jan, Feb, is often a slack time, but should pick up soon in some sectors, if not all.
Retail, (shop deliveries) will stay busy, because it must: so long as we have a population eating food, there’s work there.
Other sectors are variable, but (resisting the temptation to start a political rant) food and booze deliveries will always be there. Not glamourous but good experience, and all shows a good attitude to later employers.

Theres plenty of drivers out there, the companies that cry about a driver shortage are usually advertising £9/hr for class 1, maxing out hours every week in crap equipment.

Don’t be shocked if you average 2 shifts a week from one agency at this time of year, First 2.5/3 months of the year are brutal for agency drivers.

Also Driving on the whole is an easy industry to get into when compared to others, still not a walk in the park but it’s not that hard. £3000, 2 seperate weeks training to get class 1 and you can be working as soon as your licence comes back. Beats spending years of your life and getting yourself in debt to get a qualification then end up stacking shelves in tesco because you can’t get a job.

Agencies are always quiet around this time of year until Easter when it slowly picks up

Agency drivers with experience are lucky to get 2-3 shifts at this time of year.

There is no driver shortage and it seems many are leaving driving for better paid work as there just isn’t the driving work out there for everyone.

Since Amazon Logistics do the majority of their own deliveries, the parcel companies are pretty much dead. You only need to look at the headlines for Royal Mail, DPD etc it isn’t great right now.

You might want to consider other lines of work, such as getting a plant ticket to operate 360 excavators etc as the pay is better and typically more reliable hours too.

Hyh:
Agencies are always quiet around this time of year until Easter when it slowly picks up

Agency drivers with experience are lucky to get 2-3 shifts at this time of year.

There is no driver shortage and it seems many are leaving driving for better paid work as there just isn’t the driving work out there for everyone.

Since Amazon Logistics do the majority of their own deliveries, the parcel companies are pretty much dead. You only need to look at the headlines for Royal Mail, DPD etc it isn’t great right now.

You might want to consider other lines of work, such as getting a plant ticket to operate 360 excavators etc as the pay is better and typically more reliable hours too.

I looked into 360/180 digger tickets a few years back as citb near here. Like with hgv all agencies I rang said yeah do it shortage of labour (good pay £16ph). Asking around no one would consider you without site and digger experience. So put my £2k back in the wallet.

notao:

In transport agencies (in theory) are there to cover mostly holidays and varying stock levels. Many start having hols around the time kids are off school hence Easter onwards, plus a lot of industries ramp up over Spring / Summer.

Once kids start having hols and people start going on the cruises, thats when you’ll find a boost. I did agency and even after a year, it could be 2 days a week this time of year.

Food delivery companies like Brakes might be a good option - decent pay but graft. Pallet companies might be taking on such as Palletline, Palletforce affiliates.

If you have a look through similar threads here there are other examples included. Its hard to start with, but once you have a foot in the door, its easier, like all industries.