Career Advice

Hi

Have been reading posts on here for the best part of 6 months while planning to get my LGV licence. Got as far as doing the theory, even done the module 4 theory which was not as simple as i was led to believe. Few tough ones on there. Downloaded quite a few documents/pdfs/etc…

Have been having a few issues for a while with my vision which i put down to being prescribed varifocals. But now have found out that there is a problem which can’t be corrected and have had my licence revoked (including car). Bit of a bummer! Wasn’t expecting to qualify for a bus pass for another 17 years but, hey, better than nothing i suppose.

Thing is i don’t want to completely give up on my plans and have been looking at other possible jobs within transport. All i can really come up with is operator CPC. Now lets be clear, i am no manager. So i would be looking at other jobs within the business. I am also in two minds about whether to go for passenger as well. My biggest concern is my age and having never worked in an office and the fact that i don’t have a licence. It also looks like there would be very few opportunites in passenger transport. But because of the quite considerable overlap i’m thinking both might be usefull.

Now i appreciate that you don’t need the cpc for jobs other than the transport manager but just assuming having the knowledge might make a difference to getting/not getting a job? Plus i don’t think there are any other qualifications below the transport manager that you can do by home study. I have seen what few jobs there are for traffic planner (in passenger transport) all stipulate must have driving licence. Maybe the people who work in the office of bus companies are more in and out of the office driving to different locations.

Any advice appreciated. Should i just cut my losses and look at something else to work out my last 17 years. Have never really had any vocation since leaving school. Been from job to job hence my reason for looking at doing LGV. But i am screwed now on that front. All that will be left is some minimum wage job and not be too fussy about what i do. I keep telling myself that there are people in this world far worse off than i am so i should think myself lucky it wasn’t something even more serious.

Cheers.

Outside of Operator licence holder, requiring the CPC Manager course, the only other role that comes to mind is being a DGSA (Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor) for ADR stuff. I can’t imagine you would need a driving licence for that, as long as you could still get to the depot location

Have you considered Lasik/Laser to get the vision fixed? I have no idea how funding works if it is NHS or Private only etc.

Unrelated to driving, but I always thought contingency planning for Highways/Council/Large enough company to care might be interesting and would still involve logistics to an extent.

Do you have a Highways Agency CCTV centre nearby? Working there might be of interest, as still road related, but you would captain a desk and computer screens rather than a truck…

You could always be a Driver CPC trainer :wink:

Hi mate

Not fixable I’m afraid it’s apparently neurological rather than to with the eye directly.

I can remember applying for a security job when I was in my late teens which involved CCTV but was rejected as my colour vision not perfect.

Looked at DGSA but not keen and I don’t think you would get a job purely on the basis of just having that.

Don’t think I could tolerate standing up in front of a classroom either.

Looks like operator cpc might be a good bet.

Thanks for responding. Still a bit ■■■■■■ off at the moment coming to terms with wasting 6 months preparing for LGV. Had my heart set on it.