3.5t online delivery driver

Just been for an interview at Sainsburys for their home delivery van job. Pay is just shy of a tenner for 24 hrs contract with more hours if flexible. So now I’m thinking is it worth the expense of getting HGV right now for same money? As much as I would like to drive trucks if I get this job and link it to part time gardening in the summer sounds like a no brainer. Fingers crossed…

Up to you.
I did Tesco online deliveries. Multidrop, lugging shopping up stairs, rushing around. It does depend on how busy your area is though… work in a rural area is very much easier than a busy town store.

The predominantly Class 2 truck job I have now (new pass) brings me in £150 a week more (take home) than my Tesco job did. The job has the potential to earn me double (£700 take-home), once I’m experienced enough to drive their Class 1 on my own.

The truck job wins hands down. More money, less stress (apart from reversing as that’s so hard) - but it’s easier work most of the time. I didn’t hate supermarket delivery but I don’t think I’d go back. Not a bad idea to start on supermarket delivery and then work your way up, many do.

We use online shopping and get it delivered. To be fair, none of the lads and lasses seem too stressed out, they always have time for a natter, some help, some don’t come past the doorstep. if they pressure me, it slows me down, if the kids are around we have a relay team from the door to the kitchen.

SJB:
Up to you.
I did Tesco online deliveries. Multidrop, lugging shopping up stairs, rushing around. It does depend on how busy your area is though… work in a rural area is very much easier than a busy town store.

The predominantly Class 2 truck job I have now (new pass) brings me in £150 a week more (take home) than my Tesco job did. The job has the potential to earn me double (£700 take-home), once I’m experienced enough to drive their Class 1 on my own.

The truck job wins hands down. More money, less stress (apart from reversing as that’s so hard) - but it’s easier work most of the time. I didn’t hate supermarket delivery but I don’t think I’d go back. Not a bad idea to start on supermarket delivery and then work your way up, many do.

Before the interview I had thought i could train for catc around the job but now think if i can get £500 a week with it and some gardening may be an option. Also nervous about spending nearly 2k with cpc etc as not many well paid jobs in Norfolk.

Start with the van/ gardening option.
Put a little cash away each month for truck training, so if you’re unhappy, or the big truck itch is still there you’re ready for it.
Not burning any bridges by waiting a bit.
All driving experience, whatever vehicle, is good for the future.

My future son in law has a similar problem, his being the state style wedding my daughter had her sights on ( god help him ).
He’s looking at self employed delivery with Hermes, he’s got a one of those hybrid Hyundai’s which is massive inside but limits him to smaller packages, so there’s no van to get, pay is £100 - £150 a day.
May be an option for you to look at.

I used to have Tesco deliver to me they always chatted with me if need’s be and were always polite. However first time I had them the driver commented he had been given an extra 3 minutes to explain the paperwork to me as I was a new customer. I have interviewed for the job as well and got the strong impression that you are placed under the cosh and expected to dash about but woe betide you if you damage the van even a scratch because you had to drive past a bush on someone’s drive. You were expected to get out and walk the rest of the way.

As someone said if your in rural Norfolk it might be easier than Norwich say because you can bet your bottom dollar if you want a flat it will be on the top floor with the lift broken and no one to help you carry the stuff.

As to the flexi shifts with Tesco you had to do so many mornings, so many afternoons and so many evenings a week. The only fixed hours contracts were part time which was no good to me as I needed 40+ hours a week. Yes the rotas are worked up in advance and its fine if your foot loose and fancy free but no good if you have other commitments.

I don’t know if you did it at your interview but we did a work trial for 30 mins and I was put with a loader who promptly said that if you were on the morning shifts you had to help finish loading all the vans before you could leave if they weren’t done which seemed to be a common occurrence. What he wouldn’t tell me is if they change the delivery schedule so the time loading was taken into account.

Having said all that it might suit you better its a different store etc etc its just I found the multi drop I did in a 7.5 tonner a lot easier and more relaxed

Start with the van/ gardening option.
Put a little cash away each month for truck training, so if you’re unhappy, or the big truck itch is still there you’re ready for it.
Not burning any bridges by waiting a bit.
All driving experience, whatever vehicle, is good for the future.

I can’t help with the advice on the online delivery driver job, but I’d agree with franglais.

I had been looking at the idea of HGV training for a couple of years, but am happy enough working where I am at the moment (office-based sales). So in October I applied for a weekend driver job for a brewery. My thoughts being that it’d give me driving experience with a larger vehicle than my little fiesta.

Anyway I’ve been working weekends with them since October and have really enjoyed it so far, whilst learning the roads (and where all the pubs are :smiley:) in South Wales and building up a savings pot for funding the HGV training if I still have the urge for it.

At the moment I am thinking when I have enough money in savings to cover the HGV Class C & C+E, I will probably get them both done whilst staying in my current jobs. The brewery also operate 7.5t lorries and pay for drivers CPCs, so could possibly get some work doing that if I had my licence.

I’ve also made a few friends along the way which is always good, so yea, I’d go for the van/gardening job to start with and take it from there.

cooper1203:
I used to have Tesco deliver to me they always chatted with me if need’s be and were always polite. However first time I had them the driver commented he had been given an extra 3 minutes to explain the paperwork to me as I was a new customer. I have interviewed for the job as well and got the strong impression that you are placed under the cosh and expected to dash about but woe betide you if you damage the van even a scratch because you had to drive past a bush on someone’s drive. You were expected to get out and walk the rest of the way.

As someone said if your in rural Norfolk it might be easier than Norwich say because you can bet your bottom dollar if you want a flat it will be on the top floor with the lift broken and no one to help you carry the stuff.

As to the flexi shifts with Tesco you had to do so many mornings, so many afternoons and so many evenings a week. The only fixed hours contracts were part time which was no good to me as I needed 40+ hours a week. Yes the rotas are worked up in advance and its fine if your foot loose and fancy free but no good if you have other commitments.

I don’t know if you did it at your interview but we did a work trial for 30 mins and I was put with a loader who promptly said that if you were on the morning shifts you had to help finish loading all the vans before you could leave if they weren’t done which seemed to be a common occurrence. What he wouldn’t tell me is if they change the delivery schedule so the time loading was taken into account.

Having said all that it might suit you better its a different store etc etc its just I found the multi drop I did in a 7.5 tonner a lot easier and more relaxed

I do know people who are doing/have done Tesco and it doesn’t sound very organised. I did say at the interview with Sainsburys that the job gets a lot of stick online. The hours apart from 11pm finishes will suit me and have asked for more hours if possible as like today I’ve had to finish gardening early as ■■■■■■■ with rain.
I may do cpc and get some pt 7.5t work as well although having done a bit before cpc days i did prefer vans as they don’t feel like a proper truck.