C+E Test dry steering

Hi all ive been on my training since yesterday and did the reversing exercise today. Ive been looking at everything on this exercise on youtube etc so i get a general understanding before i attempted it myself.

My instructor told me to line up to the cones put full lock right then start reversing until i see the marker placed on the headboard.

I asked him about the dry steering on the test and he assured me that it is allowed. Im just wanting to ask you fine people if you were allowed to dry steer.

I swear if i fail my test because of that im going to punch my instructors chops in.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Been a couple if years since i did it, but dry turning was never mentioned as being disallowed, albeit not brilliant for the tyres but that’s not your concern at this point.

Just remember all stops are classed as a shunt amd you have 2 max so try to keep it moving slowly unless you need a shunt.

Good luck! Crossing fingers.

Done mine C test today and passed. Dry steering fine. Only advice I have is take your time and don’t rush it.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Dry steering isn’t best practice but it’s accepted on test.

A shunt is a move forward. So if you need one, make it count.

A pause is irrelevant.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

trevHCS:
Been a couple if years since i did it, but dry turning was never mentioned as being disallowed, albeit not brilliant for the tyres but that’s not your concern at this point.

Just remember all stops are classed as a shunt amd you have 2 max so try to keep it moving slowly unless you need a shunt.

Good luck! Crossing fingers.

Hi ive been told full lock right. Reverse until my cab aligns with a marker then stop. Handbrake full lock left u til the next lock then stop etc etc.

It’s not what I would teach, but I suppose you’d better carry on with what your trainer says.

Unfortunately many instructors ‘teach’ dry steering on the basis that it makes the reversing exercise easier.
However it is bad practice as it puts unnecessary strain on the tyres and power steering components especially on hard surfaces like dry concrete. On a badly maintained elderly training vehicle it can cause the power steering to fail completely on the test. I have seen this happen on two occasions!
The other factor is that dry steering gives a new driver a bad habit that could go against them when going for a driving assessment.
Youtube is great for watching techniques however you should be listening to your instructor and closely following his / her tips. If you are still struggling then ask the instructor to demonstrate the exercise with you sat alongside. By observing the instructor’s mirrors you will ‘see’ the key points that are needed for success in the exercise.
Beware the instructor that refuses to do this for you.
Sadly some are just lazy and a minority probably could not do the exercise themselves!

the professor:
Unfortunately many instructors ‘teach’ dry steering on the basis that it makes the reversing exercise easier.
However it is bad practice as it puts unnecessary strain on the tyres and power steering components especially on hard surfaces like dry concrete. On a badly maintained elderly training vehicle it can cause the power steering to fail completely on the test. I have seen this happen on two occasions!
The other factor is that dry steering gives a new driver a bad habit that could go against them when going for a driving assessment.
Youtube is great for watching techniques however you should be listening to your instructor and closely following his / her tips. If you are still struggling then ask the instructor to demonstrate the exercise with you sat alongside. By observing the instructor’s mirrors you will ‘see’ the key points that are needed for success in the exercise.
Beware the instructor that refuses to do this for you.
Sadly some are just lazy and a minority probably could not do the exercise themselves!

Hello professor i just read your thread earlier. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my thread. As stated above i am best off listening to my trainer for the duration but no way am i going to do dry steering in tye real world once i have passed.

There is a few things im not comfortable with that i have been shown and have seen videos of it done better but again i will do wjatevwr it takes to pass and learn it all once im out driving.

My reversing is on point. Driving is good and coupling etc all there just learning from a few little niggles now but as i said the real test starts when i drive them for a living.

Thanks again.

Jonbones89:
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my thread. As stated above i am best off listening to my trainer for the duration but no way am i going to do dry steering in tye real world once i have passed.

There is a few things im not comfortable with that i have been shown and have seen videos of it done better but again i will do wjatevwr it takes to pass and learn it all once im out driving.

My reversing is on point. Driving is good and coupling etc all there just learning from a few little niggles now but as i said the real test starts when i drive them for a living.

Thanks again.

Oh yes you will. You will also spin the wheel using just the palm of your hand and do other stuff which is required to get the job done.

Anyone who claims they have never had to do any dry steering has never been anywhere ridiculously tight. Sometimes you literally won’t have time to get the wheel rolling before getting any turn on.

Anyone who claims they have never had to do any dry steering has never been anywhere ridiculously tight. Sometimes you literally won’t have time to get the wheel rolling before getting any turn on.

Very true. And, just to explode another urban myth, it’s acceptable to " spin the wheel using just the palm of your hand" during your training and test. Just make sure that there is no hint of loss of control.

Just my 2 cents. On the first try to pass Class 1 reversing I did the dry steering thinking it will get me nicely around a B cone. Ended up failing in a horizontally stopped trailer. Took my 2 weeks to realize none of the youtube videos show the reversing while dry steering. Second attempt did it right with just one shunt.

My advice - don’t dry steer. Drive very slowly but keep moving.