Tips to C Reversing Exercise?

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone on here had any sort of tips/tricks to doing a perfect reversing exercise for the c class test.

I’ve been studying the video posted on one of the stickies several times but just wondered on the off chance if anyone had their own routine for it.

I know to listen to what my instructor tells me but really messed it up last time (got a serious so failed before even leaving the yard…dammit!!!).

Just really want to crack it this time and hopefully pass my test.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Practise, practise & more practise :smiley:

Your instructor has probably told you all this but pull up as close as you can to the cone on the left. As soon as you start moving get full lock then run it along the line, constantly checking the mirrors as you do so, then the rest is easy. Do you use the bulldog clip method?

What part of the reversing did you struggle with? Crossing the yellow line, getting round cone b or going into the bay?

when I pull up level with the cones more twards the left one, I have when I stop aleady got the wheels turned left slightly , moveing in reverse now lock hard over taking care not to go over the yellow lines, follow through until i see the cone & flag in right mirror , as passing that start to straighten lock & look for front box cones in both mirrors bring it gently roud keeping box cones in veiw of both mirrors & straightening up level & back into box ,allow for your tail lift sticking out further than the body . hope this helps . I do this in a 34 ft long lorry spot on. :smiley:

Try to relax & move slowly & gently watching in your mirrors ( both ) you may also look out of the window ( or could when I took my teat) just to check on things

As I have said about the C+E reverse buy a small toy 1 & practice with that on the floor / table just to see how this moves (yep it can help )

Like has been said, if you’re struggling then position your seat so you can take a peek out of the window down at the cones. It’s amazing what actually looking at it can do for your awareness rather than just using mirrors.

Otherwise just chill out and remember its not REALLY a test of your skill at driving and its impossible to fail if you listen to what you’ve been told.

Its a set course, your instructor knows the truck you’re using like the back of his hand, treat it like a simple memory exercise, turn the wheel at the right point, go at the right speed and it will all fall into place.

Thanks bonnie lass I have been trying but at the end of the day if I can’t make it work on the day then it all flies out the window. I will bear in mind what you said in your second post though, it makes sense and everything helps :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Harlow_wannabe what is the bulldog clip method please?

Tockwith Training I came round the side at an angle and didnt straighten up and get over to the left for the end cone so when I reversed I hit cone B. The when I tried reversing it in the bay I went too far and had the nearside rear go over the yellow line - what a complete mess I made of that one!! :blush: :blush: :blush:

animal - thanks, that is one thing I really need to do, I got all in a fluster and panicked which really doesn’t help but cant help getting all nervous before the test.

Thanks Scarab - that is another thing I’ve struggle with, I still havent gotten used to the size of the vehicle and the mirrors dont help that much to estimate the length and distance. I see what you mean though and will try and put it in to practice on test day.

Just want to say a big thank you to Scarab, animal, bonnie lass, Tockwith Training and Harlow_wannabe for your responses and help, its all taken on board and very much appreciated :smiley: :smiley: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I didn’t feel that I did enough practice at the reversing exersize on my 2 tests (although I managed it ok both times…just). If I had my time again I would pay for and extra 1/2 days tuition just doing reversing until it clicks. I spent so much time and energy before the first test worrying about the reverse that I made a couple of stupid mistakes when I was out on the road.