So how hard is a Wagon N drag vs Arctic

So I passed my class 2 at the end of 2016 and I have been driving a 26 tonne merc axor ever since. I’ve now decided to do my class 1 lessons and move up the Trucking ladder so to speak.

I think I’ll do it in a wagon N drag and then pay a company to do “lessons” in a proper artic. ( or just mess about at work with a unit and trailer to get a feel for it before going on the road) A local instructor near me will do my class 1 wagon N drag for £1000 over 4 “full days” at 8am to about 3pm. The cheapest artic lessons are 45 miles away and an hours drive at a cost £1600 for 16 hours ( plus the travel cost) 360 miles… £25 diesel??

I think with a £600 base saving + fuel saved having not travelled wagon n drag makes the most financial sense. But is it really as difficult as people say? The only actual reversing on the test is very minimal and the reverse is the only thing I’m worried about… How does a wagon n drag compare ? After all It’s literally just a rigid with a trailer on the back. It seems most people advise to learn in an Artic but it’s £600 more expensive

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Go for it.
You will get a draw bar which will reverse similar to an artic, so not that hard. I think they are quite easy to reverse.
It’s the A-Frame wag and drags that are a ■■■■■ to reverse but I’ve yet to see a trainer use them.

Edit.

Would like to add the cheapest training is not always the best.
Sometimes its better to throw a bit of extra money on a more reputable trainer.
That being said if you done business with the firm before and are happy I doubt you will have any issues.

I’ve had the pleasure of an a frame when I worked at tuffnells, they aren’t too bad if you plan in advance, but if you are in a small space, or let it get knotted up…

Normal w and d is easy. A lot easier to reverse, but coupling is more fun. I would train in the w+d if it were me, save the 600 and use half for an artic conversion course, best of both worlds. Who’s to say that you’re first job won’t be on a w+d? Who’s laughing then

I think I’ll do it in a wagon N drag and then pay a company to do “lessons” in a proper artic. ( or just mess about at work with a unit and trailer to get a feel for it before going on the road) A local instructor near me will do my class 1 wagon N drag for £1000 over 4 “full days” at 8am to about 3pm. The cheapest artic lessons are 45 miles away and an hours drive at a cost £1600 for 16 hours ( plus the travel cost) 360 miles… £25 diesel??

The £1000 for drawbar is very cheap and, if cost is the main driver, it’s a no brainer. BUT, I would be concerned about quality. The quote of £1000 for 28 hours, assuming this is an inclusive price, works out as £885 after test fee, £737.50 after VAT. This is £26.33 per hour. Just a squirt more than folks are charging for lessons in a Fiesta. And it wouldn’t cover my instructor wages and fuel.

I would have serious concerns about the quality at that price. It is possible, of course, that you’ve been given a particularly great deal. And you should grab it with both hands if that’s the case.

With CE it is more important than ever to have a properly marked reversing area. Anything less is a compromise and often leads to problems. The condition of the outfit is also vital. If it doesn’t couple up readily (and plenty don’t) this is going to be trouble on test.

As far as the broader question goes, either route will end up with CE. The drawbar is easier on the road as it doesn’t cut in - if it’s set up well (not all are). The more tricky bit with the drawbar is the coupling that needs more precision than artic. But beware, there’s plenty of ropey old artics floating around with L plates on them.

Reversing is similar with both. The drawbar reacts much more quickly ie it will go wrong very quickly but, if you know what you’re doing, you can correct it just as quickly. Whereas the artic is more leisurely to reverse. This is why many folks say it’s easier to reverse a larger trailer.

As a comparison, we charge the same for drawbar or artic: £1550. Deduct 10% (£155) Trucknet discount and take advantage of free accommodation if more than 70 miles away. OR no questions asked finance (£1000). Training is a product you only want to buy once. So choose carefully. Cheapest is rarely the best.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Pete.

I actually did my class 2 with the same bloke and that was also £1000. He actually charges £1000 for Cat C and £1100 for Cat C+E but if you did cat C with him then C+E is £1000 instead of £1100.

The reversing area is to scale with the actual test reversing area. It’s just a yard in an industrial estate. He literally measured it up to scale using cones and has even painted white lines. I believe the instructors has an understanding with the land owner and thus he let’s him train there.

The instructor is just a one man band. He is an ex army bloke and is a very good instructor. Obviously the price is very good and the cheapest by far and I’ve no doubt as to the quality of the training provided. I just simply wondered how a wagon N drag would compare to an Artic at £600 more expensive. Eg its cheaper but would it be much harder to pass in.

But as you say the price is cheaper so it’s a no brainer. I think I’ll leave book lessons for March [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I passed my Class 1 in one of Peters W+D’s, I also took a test in the artic but I failed that. I went from passing in a W+D to driving an artic. It took a few days to get used to it but now its second nature.

As I’m a one band I don’t have to pay a instructor a wage and holiday pay so can keep the price down.

Peter unfairly questioned the quality of the standard of the training in his reply.

I think the 28 hours quoted is excessive especially if you passed in the same category C vehicle and are using the same test centre.

Regarding the coupling yes you do have to be more precise than an artic, I’ve got a reversing camera facing the coupling which makes it a lot easier.

See if this post gets deleted now.

Paul

Peter unfairly questioned the quality of the standard of the training in his reply.

I questioned it. Whether that was unfair or not is to be seen.

My comment was around the fact that it seemed very, very cheap. In my mind, if someone is offering a top quality service then presumably they wouldn’t sell themselves that cheap. Unless, of course, they are feeling charitable.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

My comment was around the fact that it seemed very, very cheap. In my mind, if someone is offering a top quality service then presumably they wouldn’t sell themselves that cheap. Unless, of course, they are feeling charitable.

From experience people do like the security of a bigger company but a one man band with a good reputation is a good option not only just for people on a budget.

I’m only trying to explain why one man bands are generally cheaper. But yes £1000 for 28 hours seems very charitable. I would say 16-20 hours for £1000 would be nearer the norm for a one man band.

Paul

Peter Smythe:

Coming from the man that has more offers than DFS on a Boxing Day

But yes £1000 for 28 hours seems very charitable. I would say 16-20 hours for £1000 would be nearer the norm for a one man band.

In other words, it’s half the price you would expect. That confirms my thoughts.

Coming from the man that has more offers than DFS on a Boxing Day

It’s very simple. When you are running a large training school (or any other business for that matter), the standing costs (the stuff that has to be paid whether or not you turn a wheel) still have to be found. From time to time, normally because of increase in capacity, we find we can cope with a bit more work to fill the book. A typical example is where we’ve successfully headhunted a particular trainer. Then we quickly have to increase the vehicle numbers and find work to fill up another programme. Or a last minute cancellation due to sickness. And that’s where real bargains can be found. For those with the patience to wait, there are some outstanding offers from time to time. And, in any case, we offer brilliant value for money bearing in mind the facilities, vehicles, pass rates etc etc etc. Never had a complaint from anyone about being on the right end of one of our offers!

Peter Smythe:

But yes £1000 for 28 hours seems very charitable. I would say 16-20 hours for £1000 would be nearer the norm for a one man band.

In other words, it’s half the price you would expect. That confirms my thoughts.

Not half Peter on 20 hours? I would imagine it beats your price hands down?

Please understand Peter I’m not knocking you I’m merely pointing other options available to people on perhaps a budget.

Paul

:

You’re hard work sometimes Paul!! 16 is close to half of 28. Near enough for me to say that it’s half the price.

And yes, it is cheaper than me - but you gets what you pay for in this world.

Peter Smythe:
You’re hard work sometimes Paul!! 16 is close to half of 28. Near enough for me to say that it’s half the price.

Hardly worth the effort haha!

Pete

Now who’s being pedantic :question: :smiley:

I like how you diversify away from issue about value for money from one man bands as another option.

Paul

That isn’t intentional. In 1984, I was a one man band. We’ve all been there. But there are differences between a one man band and a larger school which cannot be denied. However, not all the larger schools are particularly special. Sadly, some of the larger schools dont use the facilities they have at their command to offer the candidate a superb customer service. And, as I’ve said countless times, not all one man bands are bad - - by a long, long way.

Folks must compare the two, including price, and make their own choice. This is the joy of a free market economy. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Part of the comparison should be a visit to the training centre, take a look at the trucks. “Gut feeling” is often quite reliable. The exception to visiting is booking on rock solid recommendation. This is why we have customers, continually, from all parts of the UK.

I am not “knocking” all one man bands regardless. And never have done.

Peter Smythe:
That isn’t intentional. In 1984, I was a one man band. We’ve all been there. But there are differences between a one man band and a larger school which cannot be denied. However, not all the larger schools are particularly special. Sadly, some of the larger schools dont use the facilities they have at their command to offer the candidate a superb customer service. And, as I’ve said countless times, not all one man bands are bad - - by a long, long way.

Folks must compare the two, including price, and make their own choice. This is the joy of a free market economy. You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Part of the comparison should be a visit to the training centre, take a look at the trucks. “Gut feeling” is often quite reliable. The exception to visiting is booking on rock solid recommendation. This is why we have customers, continually, from all parts of the UK.

I am not “knocking” all one man bands regardless. And never have done.

Now that is a fair summary and well done for being honest.

Paul

PHEW!

Radar19:
I passed my Class 1 in one of Peters W+D’s, I also took a test in the artic but I failed that. I went from passing in a W+D to driving an artic. It took a few days to get used to it but now its second nature.

I passed in one of Peter’s W+D’s too, it was the easiest thing to reverse I’ve ever come across. I got it out of shape quite a few times but could always get it back on track within the space you have on test.