First Year Trucking

Hi,

For anyone contemplating getting their trucking licence to earn an additional income, I would say GO FOR IT!

One year ago, I signed up with a few agencies hoping for occasional weekend work. I had zero experience and had held my Class 2 for three years and my Class 1 for just a year.

First job was with Hovis at 4am in the depths of winter. Up to Lidl at Newton Aycliffe. My reversing was shocking. I learnt a fair bit with Hovis and was starting to really enjoy it but after two small scrapes they said don’t come back. I miss the cheap bread but not the early starts.

A different agency got me in with Stobarts and I love driving the Volvo. It pays OK. Some days are a breeze, such as a cruise up to Penrith in the sunshine for a trailer swap. Other days, when you’re dragging badly loaded cages into a Tesco store at midnight, seem tougher.

My favourite gig at the moment is weekend work at Panther Logistics. The yard at Leeds is a bit tight so my heart sinks if I’m asked to do a bit of shunting (although I do appreciate the practise) but once out on the road it’s a simple trunk and trailer swap to either Gateshead, Preston or Northampton.

If you enjoy being on the road and you’re a fan of the radio, there’s no better way of earning a few extra quid. Learning with Peter Smythe in the beast below was a great move and I’m looking forward to seeing what my second year in driving brings my way.

Good luck to all the new starters out there!