One year in

So, I’m 1 year into my new career. I’ll keep the story short and to the point.

Passed my C last September and jumped straight into C+E two weeks later (Both 1st time passes).

Started on class 2 multidrop via agency and then within 1 month jumped to Class 1 (Tesco store deliveries via same agency for a few weeks). My big break came in Dec 17 when the agency sent me to my current employer. After about 12 weeks or so regular class 1 work, the company asked me if I wanted to go full time.
I took them up on the offer and been there ever since. They knew I was a new driver and don’t normally take new drivers but they gave me a crack and I grabbed it.

It hasn’t all been a bed of roses (steep learning curve) but I can honestly say that so far I’m loving it. I should have quit IT years ago. I’m on a 45 hr per week contract but I average about 50-55 (I’m cool with this as it’s 30 hrs a week less than I was doing in IT!).

My work / home life hasn’t been this good in a long time and I’m making a decent living.
The other drivers I’m working with have all been spot on. Every one of them to a man has been fantastic and helped me along the way.

I also have my ADR so another new avenue involving tankers has opened up for me with my employer. It’s a work in progress which I’m chomping at the bit to get on with :slight_smile:

They say you make your own luck, ■■■■ knows how I did it but thus far, I’ve made plenty!

For those sitting on the fence, ■■■■ it, get off it and get cracking. There’s a decent living to be had out of it.

Is the old saying true? Reversing comes with time. I’m 1month in and im still ■■■■

TruckDriverBen:
Is the old saying true? Reversing comes with time. I’m 1month in and im still [zb]

Even more of a laugh when 1 year in and you have to drive a rigid for 3 days :blush: the dam thing keeps going the wrong way :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

TruckDriverBen:
Is the old saying true? Reversing comes with time. I’m 1month in and im still [zb]

Yes, very true. Stick with it and it will click. In saying that, there are still the odd times when I line up for a reverse, stick my head out the window and say to myself “What the ■■■■ are you doing you stupid prick?” The experience bit is knowing what to do to correct your ■■■■ ups :slight_smile:

TruckDriverBen:

It took me about 6 months, 2 trailer mud guards and a lot of grey hairs for the driver trainer before I really got the hang of it :blush: :blush:

It will come but as said above I still have days where you would look and wonder if I even have a license :blush:

Good to hear there doors opening up for you rabb, I’m into my 2nd month already with my class 1 and loving it. I’m on containers who some would say are the slowest trucks in the West but I find it a great place to get the experience as a new driver and not rushed by some crazy TM. Lots of reversing in tight yards but with a lot of help when you inform them your a new driver. The most experienced started off with no experience lol cheers for the update Paul

NPABU:
Good to hear there doors opening up for you rabb, I’m into my 2nd month already with my class 1 and loving it. I’m on containers who some would say are the slowest trucks in the West but I find it a great place to get the experience as a new driver and not rushed by some crazy TM. Lots of reversing in tight yards but with a lot of help when you inform them your a new driver. The most experienced started off with no experience lol cheers for the update Paul

I’m on containers too mate. Mainly in and out Freightliner & RDCs in the M8 corridor. Recently done some internal training on XL double deckers so I’ve been signed off and let loose on them too :slight_smile: I should have done this long ago.

I’m glad to hear it going so well. I’ve been in my first driving job now for around 4 months (C+E). I’ve been so incredibly fortunate. Good pay, I’m home every day and easy work. They don’t want me to rush, just take my time and get from A - B in one piece. They don’t even bother me while out on a run, company policy.

Reversing is getting better but there are times where it just goes straight out the window.

TruckDriverBen:

Very true. I’ve gone from being completely hopeless to hopeless in 4 months, progress is still progress.

rabb:
I’m on containers too mate. Mainly in and out Freightliner & RDCs in the M8 corridor. Recently done some internal training on XL double deckers so I’ve been signed off and let loose on them too :slight_smile: I should have done this long ago.

That sounds good mate, I am really enjoying it and it has helped me so much with the reversing lol it’s at a pace that I’m able to take it all in and not be rushed to the point where it becomes dangerous as a new driver.
Although it’s container work and a lot of it is for the whisky trade but when you get the other stuff and delivering to smaller companies it mixes it up and doesn’t become stagnant
Cheers Paul

Agentile:

TruckDriverBen:

Very true. I’ve gone from being completely hopeless to hopeless in 4 months, progress is still progress.

Made me smile that did :slight_smile: