First time using Tacho *UPDATE 13/7/17*

Hi guys, I’m supposed to be starting my first driving shift tomorrow (class 2) for a local food delivery company on the agency. I’m just wondering what it will be like using the Tacho for the first time given that i’ve never used the card before, I’ve watched various youtube videos but none of them show a first time card entry. This is what I gather so far (by the way I start at 6am):

1. Insert card with the chip facing up and the arrow pointing forwards
  2. Give it a moment to read the card
  3. When met with a screen asking me whether I want to make a manual entry select yes with the up and down arrow then proceed to press the OK button

Now given that I haven’t used the card before do I have to input that I was on a rest period until 6am or can I go straight ahead and input other work from 6am until the time I’m now inputting this information? So:

1. Select crosshammers (other work) and press ok, proceed to change date to current date, and time to 6:00 (as that was my shift start time) and press ok to show I’ve been doing work since then because I don’t have a rest break from my last shift as it’s my first time driving
  2. Confirm with the OK button to finish the manual entry and I’m good to go

On a side note it will be chilled food so the lorry will have a fridge unit. Having never used one before will I be ok to ask the transport manager (or whoever is dealing with me) to give me a quick lesson on using it?

Also would you mention that it’s your first day driving if the company is unaware?

I’m sure you can tell how nervous I am throughout this post so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Sounds like you have got the tacho sorted, you need to show on the tacho what time you have started and at least 15mins of other work before driving to show you have done your checks.
As far as the fridge goes, it should already be set at the temp you need, you just need to keep an eye on the set temp but if you have to alter it for any reason they are very simple to adjust the set point. Ask any driver to run through it with you, tbh it is that simple that you can be shown it in 5 mins so any driver will give you the time.

Cheers UKtramp, good to hear I’m on the right track with the tacho as that’s what I’ve been most worried about

Any other tips and words of advice are welcomed, as far as I’m aware it’s multi drop work delivering seafood to restaurants

I found this video helpful

youtube.com/watch?v=PyW6lA_7FPc

Don’t worry over it, the fridge part is so simple to use that you could work it out for yourself easily enough if you had to. Is it frozen or chilled? either way the setpoint is displayed on the screen to keep an eye on. Whilst unloading don’t leave your doors open just treat it like your fridge or freezer at home. Don’t worry over timed drops either, traffic, parking etc is not taken into account. Delivering to restaurants won’t be on timed deliveries anyway. Just keep calm and you will be fine. Don’t be afraid to ask other drivers for help, they like to think they know it all and will help you out even if for the wrong reasons.

I show 15 minutes of Other Work before the truck moves. That way it shows you had time to do your walk round checks etc in case anyone questions you. It gives you time to figure out how to adjust the seat too

Here’s a tachograph simulator if you want to try before tomorrow: tachotutorial.com/

Fridge unit controls are very simple on the Class 2 trucks I’ve driven.
On the control Units I’ve used: If the controller unit is switched on but the chiller doesn’t fire up, make sure Compartment 1 and/or 2 (+3 if you have a compartment 3) are switched to On ( 3 little switches on the front of the unit). If no compartments are switched on, the control unit will just show you the temps without doing anything about cooling.

You might want to take a pair of gloves with you in case the company doesn’t have any spare for you to use - Especially if you’ll be handling frozen cages.

If the truck has 2 rear axles and one can be lifted, when you’re almost empty, try and run with it lifted, it makes your turning circle tighter. If you push the axle lift button and it doesn’t lift, the truck is simply sensing you’re too heavy for it to be driven with the lifting axle up - If you go up or down a steep hill while the axle was lifted, the axle might decide to drop on it’s own (you’ll hear the air system doing its thing when this happens) don’t worry, it’s perfectly normal and you can lift it the next time you stop at traffic lights etc.

Oh and take a phone charger, google maps will become your best friend if you don’t have a truckers atlas or a trucking sat nav that shows weight limits and low bridges - I’ve yet to come across a truck without a 12 volt cig lighter socket. some might have a 24 volt plug too

Good Luck !

Only other thing to mention which may help is sometimes if you go into the yard to collect your vehicle the fridge will be running at the correct temp already (obviously) but the fridge can either be rubbing under its own fuel or can be plugged into a electric point on the bay, you will see the blue cable on your walk round checks, just in plug it from the bay and it will store away in a plastic box/ unit on the side of the vehicle. I’ve seen it before where people have forgotten the lead and drove off still plugged in. I’m sure you know this already but it’s a lot to remember on your first day so worth posting it I hope !

Best of luck, stay calm and it will all get easier the next day !

Make sure there’s enough red diesel in the tank to keep the fridge running throughout the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem to have the basics of the tacho operation. Essentially, you will need to show Other Work (crossed hammers) from the time you clock on until the time that you actually insert your card. Once the card is in, it will automatically record Driving time any time the wheels are turning. Depending on how the tachograph has been set up (you can’t change this BTW) it may default to Break as soon as the wheels stop turning, or it may default to Other Work. Once you know which way yours works, you can change the Mode switch on the front panel as necessary to record Work and Break. Just be aware that some tachos change from Break to Other Work every time you switch on the ignition (e.g. to open the window). If yours does this, you’ll have just a few seconds to use the Mode switch to put it back onto Break in order to record an uninterrupted break…

As for the fridge - you will need to be guided by the company as to what printouts (usually called “tickets”) you need to produce for customers and how to do them. You’ll probably also need to produce a “Journey Printout” at the end of the run to show the temperatures inside the chilled/frozen throughout the day. It’s not difficult, but make sure that you are shown how/when to do this before you hit the road.

Oh - and there is nothing wrong with making it clear that you are a newbie! The clown behind the desk will probably roll their eyes and/or make some sarky comment but then they’ll very likely get one of the other drivers to take 15 minutes to show you the essentials. Much better than making a major ■■■■-up!

2 things to remember on the first day and both pieces of advice have served me well. #1 if you don’t know something, ask. #2 if you can’t see where you’re reversing, get out and look.

The rest of it will fall into place as the day goes on.

Dont forget to post how it went, we’re all interested

Roymondo:
You seem to have the basics of the tacho operation. Essentially, you will need to show Other Work (crossed hammers) from the time you clock on until the time that you actually insert your card. Once the card is in, it will automatically record Driving time any time the wheels are turning. Depending on how the tachograph has been set up (you can’t change this BTW) it may default to Break as soon as the wheels stop turning, or it may default to Other Work. Once you know which way yours works, you can change the Mode switch on the front panel as necessary to record Work and Break. Just be aware that some tachos change from Break to Other Work every time you switch on the ignition (e.g. to open the window). If yours does this, you’ll have just a few seconds to use the Mode switch to put it back onto Break in order to record an uninterrupted break…

As for the fridge - you will need to be guided by the company as to what printouts (usually called “tickets”) you need to produce for customers and how to do them. You’ll probably also need to produce a “Journey Printout” at the end of the run to show the temperatures inside the chilled/frozen throughout the day. It’s not difficult, but make sure that you are shown how/when to do this before you hit the road.

You can change the tacho to always default to other work when you stop and stop the tacho from changing modes when you turn the ignition on and off, if that’s what you meant. I had mine sorted before when I took the truck into DAF.

Thanks again everybody, I’ve read though all your replies and seen some really helpful stuff. I just can’t wait to get going at this point, just packed most of my stuff into my bag ready for morning. So far I’ve got Satnav+Cables & holder, Road Atlas, Phone charger & holder, usb splitter, pens, notepad, hi vis and might even take a pair of trainers to change into. Just got to remember to make myself some sandwiches later on haha

austers:

Roymondo:

You can change the tacho to always default to other work when you stop and stop the tacho from changing modes when you turn the ignition on and off, if that’s what you meant. I had mine sorted before when I took the truck into DAF.

As I said - it’s not something you, the driver can change. The only way to get the default behaviour changed is to take it into an authorised tacho workshop.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi guys, did my first days work today and I’m absolutely knackered. Everything went fine in terms of the driving, I went on a run from Telford down to Luton, had about 5 drops (only one i really struggled finding) and drove back. I started at 6:00 and finished at 5:10, I might post more in depth about a couple of stories from my first day on another post when I have the time but like I say I’m shattered right now. I must’ve done ok as they want me back to start at 5:00 tomorrow.

Anyway, regarding the tacho. It was a stoneridge unit, I put my card in and was met with a screen I wasn’t expecting and there wasn’t any other drivers around to help. I settled for putting it straight onto other work and making sure I recorded 15 minutes of time for the daily checks (although I’m aware this isn’t 100% correct as I didn’t record the other work from the time I arrived on site). When I got back I took the card out so I’m aware I’ll have to make a manual entry tomorrow so i’ll keep researching to make sure I don’t get caught with my trousers down again.

Before taking the card out I took a drivers hours printout so I can keep a record but I don’t know how to read it properly, I have 4 lines of sybols and times at the bottom of the printout, I’ll describe them and hopefully you can help.

Line 1: 1o (the o has a dot in it like a driving symbol) 03h14 ?
Line 2: 1II (Looks like a pause button) 00h16 ?
Line 3: oI> (Looks like a play button next to the dotted o) 07h08 ? (>9h : )
Line 4: ->I- (An arrow pointing to the rest symbol) 4h20 ?

To top this off the bottom of the printout came out with a fold in it so it isn’t really even that easy to read especially on line 4 (but I think it does say 4h20)

I’m bricking it in case I’ve messed up after doing fine with the driving, but I’m not feeling at all confident with the tacho.

Sounds like you did ok.
Just a quick tip if you have to give temperature tickets to customers,some places like to see what temp the truck is running at,once your ready to leave the yard print enough temp tickets to cover your drops but when you separate them make sure you tear the time stamp off,covers you running at the right temp but saves you time waiting for the fridge to run to the right temp,but ssshhhhhh don’t tell anyone it’s a secret lol :grimacing:

You can download a user manual for the Stoneridge tachograph from here

Check your printout to see what model tachograph you use, though if you’re driving different vehicles the model could change anyway.

Roymondo:

austers:

Roymondo:

As I said - it’s not something you, the driver can change. The only way to get the default behaviour changed is to take it into an authorised tacho workshop.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Only realised today that the truck I’ve driven for the past two days kept defaulting to rest when I was on other work, especially annoying as I set it to OW but once I turned engine off and removed keys it showed 46 break when I got back in!!

Keep an eye on that mate, vosa catch you they will have a ■■■■! Remember to carry a couple of spare tacho rolls with you as well. I’m always forgetting :blush: my bag is full of various rolls now, so if I get a pull I will probably have the correct roll with me, and if not, at least they can see I’ve made the effort :sunglasses: seriously though, very important

Cheers Jbazz, tbh I wrote on the printout on the back and signed it that it was OW. I do carry a roll and some analogue tachos as spares too, just in case I land an antique truck Lol!