It's hard to know the truth... current job vacancies

For the second time in recent years i’m on the edge of training for a ridged license. sooo i google about looking to see what the job prospects are, contact agencies, look at job websites. And I cant get a clear picture, apparently there is a national shortage of drivers, a massive shortage, half a million and growing. And at the same time I don’t see many job vacancies advertised and the job market seems to be quite competitive with little hope for the inexperienced.

any light that can be shed would be welcome… and is there a pay rise round the corner…

I wouldn’t believe the shortage story. There are many drivers who don’t think that the terms on offer are worth doing the job for. If terms improve drivers will reappear.

Minimum wage is supposed to be 9quid something in a couple of years so if adverts are less than that then will probably get a rise yes.

Regards getting a start, remembering what I have put above, what firms want and what they can get isn’t always the same thing.

I passed class 2 in January and class 1 last month. No professional driving experience. I went to 1 agency and a couple of local firms. I ended up with 3 offers and start next month. I’m happy with the money offered (especially as a new pass) though some more experienced guys probably wouldn’t rate it.

The point of my ramble is go there tidy, with a good attitude and you may be surprised. There are places that will give you a start

I’m a new pass myself, first agency i went to got me work within 20 mins of me walking out of the door, money is OK for a newb like me and its a long term position, i might have just been lucky but from speaking to people there is work out there, if your not too picky with the right attitude etc.

THERE IS NO NATIONAL LGV DRIVER SHORTAGE = 100% FACT

There may be some pockets of the UK where they are having problems finding EXPERIENCED drivers

When newbies are being recruited by companies (not agencies) directly from training schools the minute they pass THEN there will be a driver shortage

Look at the job vacs - how many companies (not agencies) are looking for full time perm drivers :question:

I agree that there is no sign of a national driver shortage. However, it is an indisputable fact that a huge percentage (I cant remember it so I’m not going to guess) of current drivers are 55+. At the other end of the scale, only 2% of drivers are under 25. It doesn’t take a very clever person to figure out what’s going to happen.

I never, ever, sell training on the basis that anyone will get rich quickly. But the vast majority of new passes will get work if they present themselves properly and are willing to work.

I met with one of the largest hauliers in the UK yesterday and they were expressing their concern for the near future - though they have no crisis at the moment.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

got my class 2 Jan this year and from the moment I set foot in my local agency (Which was mid feb, as i waited for my licence and cards to come through) I’ve worked pretty much every day I’ve wanted to :slight_smile:

Admittedly only about half of it has been Class 2, but it’s all been enjoyable paid work that’s helping to build my experience

Probably depends where you are in the country as to how much work is about. Same as you I’ve looked about before deciding I want to learn to drive.

I can say that here in brum I see lots of vacancies and a fair few have explicitly said on the advert that they consider new passes.

A mate of mine has had constant agency work since he got his class 2 a couple of years ago. So whilst I don’t expect a job to fall into my lap I’m fairly confident I’ll at least get opportunities once I have my licence.

Thankfully though I’m already in full time work so I can afford to wait.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Started driving class 2 in January after passing on November
I’ve had patchy work from agencies from January up to Karachi, since April been in a 6 month contract with airport, however I’ll give a week’s notice and leave if I find anything permanent as the airport made it clear no one is being kept on past October.

Agencies always seem to have work(apart from a quiet spell in Feb/march)

As said many times on here before,there isn’t a "Driver Shortage " what employers are bleating about should read “stupid driver shortage” due to the ■■■■ poor wages jobs and conditions.
If employers finally got their heads out their asses and realised drivers won’t put up with the crap they are offering and pay decent money kit and conditions they will have full books drivers will work for a decent day everyone happy.
Did anyone see that pig fly past■■? :open_mouth:

thank you everyone for such a great load of inside info/opinion.

I’m slowly building a plan. get my license. do agency work initially on weekends. I’m also a retained firefighter (on call from home/work…crap pay) and there’s a high chance the fire service will use me as a driver which will hopefully count for something. And then make the leap when the time is right…

what do you recon?

nickpeppers:
thank you everyone for such a great load of inside info/opinion.

I’m slowly building a plan. get my license. do agency work initially on weekends. I’m also a retained firefighter (on call from home/work…crap pay) and there’s a high chance the fire service will use me as a driver which will hopefully count for something. And then make the leap when the time is right…

what do you recon?

I was retained as well, did it for just over 10 years, left about 3 years ago, couldn’t stand the politics any longer, plus the whole time guys nicked our station ground so our call rate went from 30 odd a month down to 6, not worth doing anymore, miss the shouts and the lads though.

I got my class 2 through the Fire service, is there any need for drivers at your station? That way you get paid to do it :laughing:

thehig:
I’ve had patchy work from agencies from January up to Karachi

now that’s a fair old trek :laughing:

Got to love Autocorrect…

Daz3244:

nickpeppers:
I was retained as well, did it for just over 10 years, left about 3 years ago, couldn’t stand the politics any longer, plus the whole time guys nicked our station ground so our call rate went from 30 odd a month down to 6, not worth doing anymore, miss the shouts and the lads though.

I got my class 2 through the Fire service, is there any need for drivers at your station? That way you get paid to do it :laughing:

I wish there was a need on station, but they’ve just trained up three drivers so not much chance. we’re a quiet rural station fully retained so the politics isn’t to fierce but it’s still there.