Whats life like?

Whats life like as an Owner Driver? Im only a student :cry: but i want to be a Truck Driver :laughing: and my dream was also to become an Owner Driver. :stuck_out_tongue:
The reason i ask ‘Whats life like’ is because the people i speak to say not to do it, becuse its getting harder, and your better off driving for someone.
I just wanted to see what some true Owner Drivers thought?
Is it worth it or should i just stick to driving for someone else.
p.s i know its a long way off but the trucking industry is all im interested in any info would be greatful.

In answer to your question, all I can say is that
I am an owner driver, of two years standing and
I LOVE IT
I admit that I was fortunate enough to pay cash for Tractor and Trailer so i do not have the worry of Repayments(replacement might be problem though ha ha)
The main bonus is that I am my OWN boss(After the wife that is)
I can afford to take a week off now and then and dont have to fit in with other peoples holiday plans
I have to watch the pennies though and undertake as much repairs and maintenence that I can myself’ within my capabilities
I could go on and on but I am sure you will receive other replies both for/against becoming an o/d
read and inwardly digest
rgds

I’ve been an O/D for 14 years and life is very good so you won’t hear me putting you of the idea. If you want to do it though you have to give it 100% and do lots of research first. Good Luck.

Hi MAD,

why couldn’t you have asked an easy question like…What is the meaning of life■■? :laughing:

If you want to earn a fortune…forget it!!!
If you want an easy life…forget it !!!
If you don’t want to do some of your own maintenance and sit up at night doing paperwork then it probably isn’t for you.

BUT

If it really is your dream to become an o/d then go for it mate :laughing:

It was for me and I did it.

Even the most disillusioned o/d or ex o/d will tell you there is nothing like the first time you drive down the road in your own truck

Better still the day you collect your first new truck :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

The grin will stay with you forever :smiley: :smiley:

Try taking a look at this months Truck and Driver magazine, in there is an o/d who has just got his first new truck.

Its hard work, lots of heartache and even more a…ache, but its for me I don’t regret it one bit.

cheers
STEVE.

Maintenance■■? Is that that thing with spanners and other tool type thingies■■? I don’t do any of that, I let the nice people at Volvo do it all. Much cleaner and if you had ever seen me with a spanner much safer. :wink: :smiley:

I know what you mean Neil :laughing:

But any new o/d who can’t afford to buy new must be prepared to get down and dirty :laughing:

I even cut my own tyres :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

cheers
STEVE.

Thankyou for your replies i will look into it,ilproberly drive for someone for a couple of years, for experience, then i will go for it.
ATKIG11 i wont do it for the money i love trucks :smiley: and thats all i want to do and to drive and own my own truck with the name on the door sounds really appealing. :smiley:
Ive just got Truck and Driver and i will read it later. By the way that VOLVO FM tipper looks very smart :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help everyone!!! its much appreciated :smiley:

That’s true Steve, I lease mine over 3 years and I do the whole package, except for tyres as I can get them cheaper through the company I pull for. Means my costs are very fixed with no nasty surprises and I can budget better. Each to his or her own though

as an o/d in a van its harder,i think theres more work oppertunaties in a truck,you have more opotions,like pulling containers,getting work out the backs of the mags,but in a van theres not that oppertunaty,so in a truck yes ina van think hard,too many people with redundacy money can just buy a van its harder to do with trucks…