To all O/Ds, past and present

This is to all of you who have had balls enough to go for it, try and to make a name for yourself.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only crack at life that we get. After this there may be something different or there may not. I have no idea, and have no wish to find out for a very long time.

Life’s what you make it. Everyone says so, so it must be true.

I went Owner Driver several years ago. I worked ridiculous hours, spent my free time involved in some aspect of the business and worried myself silly most of the time. I took all the jobs that the firm I subbed to couldn’t cover with their own drivers because of laws and similar. I worked awfully damned hard, same as most do.

I loved it, every minute of it. I took jobs to new places all very often. Every single day held something different, whether it be seeing the Alps for the first time or changing injector pipes on the side of the road in the pouring rain.

Every day was different in some way, and I didn’t have the luxury of the phone being my toolbox. I didn’t always have the benefit of being the thousandth truck to go somewhere- I was often the first. When something went wrong, I fixed it. I became a wholly independant person with a will to carry on which probably would put many to shame.

What I am saying is this. Every day was made up of new experiences. Some big- some not. They were all like mini-adventures, and that is what memories come from.

When I am old and greyer, I will be able to look back on all the times I had and remember things. Standing in a WW1 frontline cemetary and signing the book, waking up in the foothills of the Alps for the first time and seeing the view, driving through a blizzard so extreme that stopping was not an option because you couldn’t see a place to stop, seeing my first wolf or bear, crawling under a truck cab in freezing rain to cobble a repair to a cracked line.

All of these things colour the way I see the world. They make me proud of all I have done. Owner Drivers see it differently because the reason they are there, in that situation, is that they have gone out of their way to do it.

Drivers lives are filled with these Micro-adventures. Owner Drivers ones are slightly more colourful.

A man I have known since he was a small child works for a milk company. He used to do long distance but went on the milk because it affected his drinking time at the club. He’s 35 now. His life revolves around going to work, going to the club and going home.

I can’t imagine anything worse. When he gets older, his memories will consist of such boredom that I wouldn’t want to carry on.

NSH. I know what you are talking about in everything, but remember all the micro adventures you had. It makes you a success regardless of any outcome.

And before my acerbic little friend chips in, there is a vast difference between people like NSH and yourself. He has guts enough to do it for real.

bobthedog:
And before my acerbic little friend chips in, there is a vast difference between people like NSH and yourself. He has guts enough to do it for real.

So you’re clearly saying that I haven’t/didn’t.

Oh dear, oh dear. Another one who apparently knows more about me than I do, when in actual fact, he knows nothing and me or my past. :laughing:

bobthedog:
I didn’t always have the benefit of being the thousandth truck to go somewhere- I was often the first.

interesting, like where then? have to agree with the sentiment of your post though

Very good post Bob :smiley:,
I take it that is your letter printed in this months “Trucking” mag :question:
What about this guy “Philo” who is turning up on all the trucking websites promoting Canada, do you know anything about him :question:
I see a picture of him standing beside what looks like a “Yanke” truck on his website,I wonder is he now a British recruiter for Yanke :question:
Ah, but the bold Rob K, I don’t think he’s that bad a bloke really just don’t ever let him get a hold of your trailer number plate :exclamation: :exclamation: :laughing: .

Yes, an inspirational post.

Just goes to show how a "free spirit " supported by commitment, will always enhance your life.

(both these attributes deserted me, long ago!!) :unamused: :laughing:

I notice RobK suggests he has tried it, yet he has said in the past that he hasn’t and wouldn’t. Strange. He spends so much time having a go, however, that I have suggested before that there was more to his history than he lets on. I may have misunderstood his meaning recently, but I think he said he had earned £52k in the first 10 months of the year. £1200 a week then +/-. Good hourly rate there considering the WTD.

The places I was referring to were new jobs and sites for the firm. I guess I didn’t phrase it quite as well as I could have.

So they printed it, did they? They emailed me, asking if they could do a feature, but I haven’t heard anything since. Wouldn’t mind a copy of that mag if possible. If someone can help me out, I’ll obviously cover the cost of mag and postage.

I posted what I feel. With more and more people losing out to those who can afford to ponce them around, it seems as though there is no point to it. But there is always a point. If you can, and want to do it, then you should. When you are old and grey you will be able to bore the sh 1 tee out of the grandkids with your memories.
The bad ones are important, too, as they make the good memories glow brighter.

Bob,
PM me your address and I’ll see what I can do about the magazine.
What about that guy “Philo” who writes a monthly article in the “Truckstop News” about Canadian trucking you know anything about him :question:
P.S. I’ve received a whole pile of bumph via e-mail from “Bigfreight” seems they are coming over to the UK in Jan 2007 for more recruiting,how many drivers do they really need :question:

great post bob they are the reason’s I’m an o/d rather than a driver. over here its also the the satifaction of finding and keeping the customer. we dont have the strict licenceing rules you guys do. the handing out the large number of business cards and never judging the person always prospecting. then they ring you cause they have a load and that turns in to 3 then 7 etc. then the quiet times come. and the over geared (finance wise) feel the pinch, Some how your still there plugging away cause you give you customers the good service. and charge a fair and profitable rate. its an interesting game transport. I started in it @ 20 and now I’m in my forties and still know nothing :smiley: