Renault T High

How much are the new Renault’s going for? Big cab 520 6x2 General haulage setup trying to crunch some numbers PM if you don’t want to say here. TIA

Chalkst3r:
How much are the new Renault’s going for? Big cab 520 6x2 General haulage setup trying to crunch some numbers PM if you don’t want to say here. TIA

I had one on demo last year mate good on fuel build quality still not good 85 grand was the quote i went for second hand scania

We have just been offered on lease from Renault, a brand new unregistered T High 520 6x2 with alloys, a Kelsa bar with lights on the top, fridge, microwave, 130kms pa, full R&M, no tyres though, for £440pw. My gaffer is after 5 new motors now, but is a Scania man through and through, and they want the same spec, but V8 580, for nearly £140pw more!!! (He currently has one with 12 months left on the lease.)

So lets do the maths.

5 x £440 x 4 (Weeks.) = £8800 (Renault)
5 x £580 x 4 (Weeks) = £11600 (Scania)

So you can get 6 Renaults for the price of 5 Scanias, and still have a grand in change, PER MONTH!!!

Yes, the Scania is a V8, but at the end of the day, the truck is going to do the same work, and the Renault is a Volvo underneath anyhow.

Mercedes and DAF were about in the same ball park on price as the Renault as well, for the Giga Space and XFSSC respectively, both at around the same bhp as the Renault.

Volvo wouldn’t bring one to us, citing Covid, but invited us to go and see one at the local dealer. (Think about that statement.) My boss told them to do one.

Over the next 18 months, he is looking at around 15 new trucks. Guess who lost out at the start?

Ken.

Quinny:
Volvo wouldn’t bring one to us, citing Covid, but invited us to go and see one at the local dealer. (Think about that statement.) My boss told them to do one.

Surely not! Do you not realise you are merely a customer and should be hugely grateful for the opportunity to pay their wages, pay them for any maintenance and other expense the allow you to receive. :open_mouth:
I wonder how many haulage companies, even the super hauliers, would still be in business if they behaved in a similar way!

I’ve been offered numerous Renaults recently,520 tag with leather seats and durabrights 66 reg 200,000 ks was one for £18,000 .

Cheers for the responses lads, I love the scanias but ■■■■ their prices when new, if I could get a decent second hand one that hasn’t been ragged I’ll grab it if not a new Renault seems a decent choice and then you know it’s not been abused!

Punchy Dan:
I’ve been offered numerous Renaults recently,520 tag with leather seats and durabrights 66 reg 200,000 ks was one for £18,000 .

That’s value!

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Like the look of them range t cabs wouldn’t mind one myself soon be Christmas you never know

£92k :open_mouth:

Fell off my chair :blush:

The interior in them is like something from the 90s. The dashboard fascia is extremely basic and completely devoid of any design thought or ergonomics. You could argue that it’s functional and all you need, but it’s not acceptable in the range-topper 520.

An owner driver I know on quarry work had one (a 520) from new (2016) and said mechanically it was fine but despite being regularly washed, the rust protection was nonexistent on everything attached to the chassis frame and it looked a right state when he traded it in at just over 300k.

Another one gone down here today not a Renault fault though it’s a crappy Volvo holo cam shaft with sweated on lobes turned on the shaft and killed the injector ,not the first one that’s done it either .

Punchy Dan:
Another one gone down here today not a Renault fault though it’s a crappy Volvo holo cam shaft with sweated on lobes turned on the shaft and killed the injector ,not the first one that’s done it either .

Not a V4.

That be a fh13, 460/500. we had a few do it, Volvo say it’s downshifting and letting the revs get to high on the retarder,

Punchy Dan , was that a 460 variant or a 480 13lt I have heard of these problems before and Renault have no less than 5 different camshafts to choose from , funny enough they aren’t selling many and are cheaper than Volvo , our local Volvo dealer tells us they are selling them regularly and thought the issue was overheating in the smaller fm cab with no air flow , does anyone now if the euro 5 camshaft from the premium will fit as it is solid as far as I know and doesn’t suffer the same problem

Punchy Dan:

I’m not following how a turned cam lobe is going to knock out an injector on a common rail fuel sytem… unless the Volvo still uses a mechanical operation for the injectors and isn’t common rail?

cav551:

Punchy Dan:

I’m not following how a turned cam lobe is going to knock out an injector on a common rail fuel sytem… unless the Volvo still uses a mechanical operation for the injectors and isn’t common rail?

The cam lobe works the rocker arm that works the injector ,some break the injector spring some just mash the injector ,they are fine on tick over when the lobe turns on the shaft but soon as the engine is under load it goes in to limp mode .

chipliner:
Punchy Dan , was that a 460 variant or a 480 13lt I have heard of these problems before and Renault have no less than 5 different camshafts to choose from , funny enough they aren’t selling many and are cheaper than Volvo , our local Volvo dealer tells us they are selling them regularly and thought the issue was overheating in the smaller fm cab with no air flow , does anyone now if the euro 5 camshaft from the premium will fit as it is solid as far as I know and doesn’t suffer the same problem

10 litre 460 euro 6 .

Punchy Dan:

cav551:

Punchy Dan:

The cam lobe works the rocker arm that works the injector ,some break the injector spring some just mash the injector ,they are fine on tick over when the lobe turns on the shaft but soon as the engine is under load it goes in to limp mode .

Thanks, so it is not a common rail system, my bad I didn’t think any manufacturer was still using mechanically operated electronically controlled injectors.

cav551:

Punchy Dan:

cav551:

Punchy Dan:

Thanks, so it is not a common rail system, my bad I didn’t think any manufacturer was still using mechanically operated electronically controlled injectors.

Been operating A 460 T Euro 6 since 2016. Never ever heard of this so called problem. As the DTI 11 litre & the DTI 13 litre are both common rail engines. Just go onto the Renault site and look up engine specs ITS THERE IN BLACK AND WHITE.

Punchy Dan:

Hope the leather seat isn’t just the bog standard one with a leather instead of fabric as it’s horrifically uncomfortable.

I’ve got the regular 460 T range and wish I’d got another Stralis really.

Own Account Driver:

Punchy Dan:

Hope the leather seat isn’t just the bog standard one with a leather instead of fabric as it’s horrifically uncomfortable.

I’ve got the regular 460 T range and wish I’d got another Stralis really.

No I have the Fabric seat ( looks like mesh down the sides ). Comfortable for me. To be honest I would have preferred a Volvo if money was know object. But as an owner operator, I need just a reliable vehicle that earns me the same as a Volvo but at a fraction of the cost. Having operated this Renault since 2016 it has more than paid its way. And I will replace it with Another next year. Probably go for a 480 13litre if I can get one for the right price.
Renault dealers have been very good in my opinion, and that is another reason why I will stick with them great customer service and a very under rated Truck ( Ugly Betty does come to mind ).