DAF S/Space v Scania S 500

A friend of mine who runs a predominately DAF Super Space fleet of tractors is getting fed up with constant add blue issues with Euro 6 vehicles,he has contacted Scania as regards trying the S500 as a possible alternative to the Super Space.
He was surprised to be told that the Scania is 27k dearer than the DAF,he appreciates the Scania is an all new model but wonders how the value will be in comparison with the DAF at 6 to 8 years old with one million k’s on ?
All trucks are bought ,any thoughts?

Gardner6LYT:
A friend of mine who runs a predominately DAF Super Space fleet of tractors is getting fed up with constant add blue issues with Euro 6 vehicles,he has contacted Scania as regards trying the S500 as a possible alternative to the Super Space.
He was surprised to be told that the Scania is 27k dearer than the DAF,he appreciates the Scania is an all new model but wonders how the value will be in comparison with the DAF at 6 to 8 years old with one million k’s on ?

One will be worth £27k, and the other will be worthless :open_mouth:

Ive been looking to upgrade to euro 6 for a while, but the only constant I get back from colleagues running this kit, is to expect to spend sometime EVERY month in the mainstealers, and to pay for the pleasure in proper sheckels :blush:

So, I think I`ll be holding off for the time being :wink:

As others have said, if buying a euro6, budget for full r+m, as euro6 keep going wrong, example V4 two lambdas which is a common fault £600.

Scania nox sensirs are about 450 plus fitting plus vat and the trucks seem to like one at about 450/500k sometimes pre and post nox sensors which then works out bloody dear, but overall I would say more releiable than the dafs on the aftertreatment front, these are early Eur06 models so Im sure later ones are way more complicated and expensive.
Scania clutch friction plates like to break their centre plate damper springs at about the same mileage and the dafs blow their release bearings at about 600/700k.

What I have noticed with quite a few of the E6 models Daf and Scania is they all turn into lemons at one point or another and can be a real ball ache boomeranging back and forth to the garage/dealer, then they can run for maybe a few months with no issues, then new issues can show their ugly head and so it goes on.

Basically you have to be nuts to actually buy one outright!

Our Mercedes is in and out of the dealers every other month, the Scania’s have never had any adblu issues to date. I drive the oldest one, Euro6, coming up to 500,000kms, and no problems at all, which is an R580. The R450’s seem to use more adblu, but again, haven’t had any issues.

It does make you wonder, are any of these trucks going to be a viable secondhand purchase?! I got the jitters going from a Euro 3 to Euro 5 and sure enough have had a big bill on the adblue system. It won’t be many years before this great truck won’t be economic to repair, but the alternative looks even worse !

Cant beat the EU6 Scanias. All mine have been spot on. Had 2 nox sensors so far but all done under warranty. On heavy work all week they are doing mid 8’s and using around 75-80 liters a week in adblue for 2,700km ishhh.

My Daf is euro 5 on a 13 plate done over 850000k’s and I can honestly say has been the best truck I have ever had I know it should be going and replaced with a euro 6. I am a DAF man through and through but all the fitters are telling me keep with what you have as there are problems with the injectors at the moment also if you buy one make sure it is on full R and M ,well I never buy my trucks with r and m as I am a steady driver and as they used to come with 2 years maintenance I believe it’s three now why would I won’t to pay for it and up to now it has worked very well for me.
To me euro 6 is a backward move in reliability so I will be keeping my truck for another two years by then hopefully Daf will have sorted out there problems we will know the out come of brexit as at this moment in time my work has slowed right down as I do dock work and every body as ordered all there goods early just in case of tariffs now the warehouses are full.
The only other truck I would buy apart from the Daf is the scania 500 I have a couple of mates who have just bought some and they both run Daf 530’s as well so I am sitting on the fence to see how much better they are on fuel. The main problem I have my Daf dealer and back up is a 100% and I can not see how scania service will be as good also I can walk home from my Daf dealer where as the scania dealer is 14 miles away.
The second hand price does not really bother me as I keep my trucks so long no body only ever wonts to give me 7 k for them and if it’s the case for the one I have now then I shall keep it and take it to shows when I retire.

Gardner6LYT:

All my trucks are also bought. I run Volvos 1x euro3, 4 x euro5, 4 x euro 6.
The adblue issues with the V4 euro6 volvos seem to have been cured by 2016. Things obviously wear out, but I spend less on the Euro 6 trucks than I did on the euro 5 trucks at the same point in their life.
The main issue with newer trucks is that a lot of electrical faults are down to the software which needs updating. Which you have to use the main dealer for.

Scania’s are £20k more than a Volvo, but I can’t see much point paying a premium for a truck that is as reliable, but holds its value better because you paid 20k more for it in the first place.
After the 10-12 years I’ve had out of a truck they’re all pretty much worthless whether it’s a Volvo, daf, or scania. So no, I wouldn’t pay a premium for a Scania. Has your friend had a look at Volvo, that are a similar price to a daf?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Professor:
My Daf is euro 5 on a 13 plate done over 850000k’s and I can honestly say has been the best truck I have ever had I know it should be going and replaced with a euro 6. I am a DAF man through and through but all the fitters are telling me keep with what you have as there are problems with the injectors at the moment also if you buy one make sure it is on full R and M ,well I never buy my trucks with r and m as I am a steady driver and as they used to come with 2 years maintenance I believe it’s three now why would I won’t to pay for it and up to now it has worked very well for me.
To me euro 6 is a backward move in reliability so I will be keeping my truck for another two years by then hopefully Daf will have sorted out there problems we will know the out come of brexit as at this moment in time my work has slowed right down as I do dock work and every body as ordered all there goods early just in case of tariffs now the warehouses are full.
The only other truck I would buy apart from the Daf is the scania 500 I have a couple of mates who have just bought some and they both run Daf 530’s as well so I am sitting on the fence to see how much better they are on fuel. The main problem I have my Daf dealer and back up is a 100% and I can not see how scania service will be as good also I can walk home from my Daf dealer where as the scania dealer is 14 miles away.
The second hand price does not really bother me as I keep my trucks so long no body only ever wonts to give me 7 k for them and if it’s the case for the one I have now then I shall keep it and take it to shows when I retire.

The Problem with the injectors has been down to contamination ,so in theory the injectors are good items …It has been nalysed to death by DAF and all theother manufacturers are involved .The fuel coming in to the country has more contaminants than it should .The South East is a fuel omponent failure hotspot…Ireland and Scotland are 2 of the better areas…If workshps or whoever does the servicing doesn’t follow the manufacturers filter change procedure then ,then the dirt in the filter bowl then passes in to the clean side when the filter is removed

For EURO 6 R&M is the way to go…nothing is cheap ,If you can hang on to the EURO 5s and aren’t a keep up with the jones,as long as they are performing well then stick with the EURO 5

With brexit there is talk of a 20% hikke for importing complete vehicles ,though it is only 2% on parts ,so in theory DAF should be laughing as they only import parts and then asemble them

As you know DAF pride themslves on DAFaid and back up ,obviously not all dealers get it right ,but for you they obviously do and you live close

That is what my fitters are telling me Norb that it is down to fuel contamination and I believe they said the euro 6 blasts in the fuel at a higher pressure than my euro 5 when I asked why my euro 5 does not suffer but the euro 6 do and guess what I live in the south east, always look forward to your reply’s norb as I always learn something off you.i will just add at my dealership they have some very good top blokes who work there who take a pride they all so have the odd one who are not so good but I am very lucky they always seem to put the best ones on my truck

Professor:
That is what my fitters are telling me Norb that it is down to fuel contamination and I believe they said the euro 6 blasts in the fuel at a higher pressure than my euro 5 when I asked why my euro 5 does not suffer but the euro 6 do and guess what I live in the south east, always look forward to your reply’s norb as I always learn something off you.i will just add at my dealership they have some very good top blokes who work there who take a pride they all so have the odd one who are not so good but I am very lucky they always seem to put the best ones on my truck

It’s the highter pressure of the fuel systems and also the tolerances…If you look at the parts through a microscope it would look like the earth beiing hit by meteors…The lads in the south east are pretty good at fuel faults now lol…We are ok up here if we do get issues it is generally say 3 motors from one customer ,and its usually contaminated fuel…Though people need to follow the fuel filter removal procedure…DAF have made videos on how to change a filter
…And thank you fo the compliment,i wish we had customers like yourself ,some one who is appreciative and that is the kind of customer you go the extra mile for …At a guess i would say you use Channel Commercials

Definitely right with the Euro 6 DAF, injector problems and suspect fuel contamination problems, my 64 plate needed new injectors and our 17 plate, is now in DAF Southampton, with engine malfunction, suspected fuel or injector problems.

Sapperm

company i often work for got fleet of CFs and its not day without at least one is VOR with adBlue malfunction…
Just wondering if diesel injectors amd adBlue injector are close to each other when you saying contaminated fuel…(?)

LL79:
company i often work for got fleet of CFs and its not day without at least one is VOR with adBlue malfunction…
Just wondering if diesel injectors amd adBlue injector are close to each other when you saying contaminated fuel…(?)

totally seperate systems

norb:

LL79:

totally seperate systems

Sadly not always :grimacing:

Trickydick:

norb:

LL79:

totally seperate systems

I had to read that twice… before laughing…
Is that a common problem? How often do you guys get ‘mis-filling’ cases in?
It wasn’t that long ago there was a thread about a bunkering site (Avonmouth?) where the AdBlue nozzle had not got the magnetic nozzle and caused loads of trouble.
How long until we are see some companies banning drivers from using self service pumps?
Apparently can’t change bulbs at some places now.

Franglais:

Trickydick:

norb:

LL79:

totally seperate systems

I had to read that twice… before laughing…
Is that a common problem? How often do you guys get ‘mis-filling’ cases in?
It wasn’t that long ago there was a thread about a bunkering site (Avonmouth?) where the AdBlue nozzle had not got the magnetic nozzle and caused loads of trouble.
How long until we are see some companies banning drivers from using self service pumps?
Apparently can’t change bulbs at some places now.

To be fair not seen it for a long time now.
Was more of an issue with custom tanks from S+B and Specialized welding where the caps were all the same and only the labels told the operator whats what.
Again custom alloy tanks fitted with steel drain bungs, adblue reacted with the steel and caused all sort of adblue issues.

Trickydick:

norb:

LL79:

totally seperate systems

in a DAF it is

norb:

Trickydick:

norb:

LL79:

totally seperate systems

in a DAF it is until a driver makes it a fuel tank / windscreen washer bottle / or an oil master