face to face

We have a proliferation of communication channels; Skype. emails, voicemail. How much time does the Traffic Commissioner expect a TM to spend in a physical face to face situation?
Have any TMs here been asked about this by a TC in a PI?
In the application process for a new TM or O-licence, is asked for a weekly “timetable” for his time allocation of work on his licence(s)
Personally, I find it hard enough to grab the Operator for a phone conversation or e-mail reply let alone a face to face meeting with tea and biscuits

A couple of years ago, where I worked in Tunbridge Wells we used an External TM based in Norfolk.
in the application form we said his visits would be about 6 weekly to check records are filed and keep in touch, but most of the other stuff could be done sending data to him by email.

However we didn’t actually do many miles in our trucks and I was at the company to make sure the vehicles had safety inspections on time and check any day to day issues.

The official line is; as much time as is necessary to maintain ‘continuous and effective’ control

How much time in reality varies massively, it could almost be zero. It all depends on what systems you have in place and what delegation is possible. You would have to show that your systems and delegates are audited though.
For my operators, I arrange everything possible online which allows me to work mostly from my home office. When I used to work for a large firm my office was based at only one of their three operating centres, nobody ever seemed to think my lack of physical presence at the other operating centres was a cause for concern. But we had good communication and had shared access to electronic records.

Poor lines of communication would be a major red flag for me, causing me to visit more frequently and tell the Operator I was considering dropping him.
TC likes you to be based within 1 hr of the OC, so travel time/costs don’t discourage visits.
Certain physical records have to be kept, and in a prescribed way, you need to visit to verify this at least. Once you can establish a compliant history you can reduce your visits ( a bit like checking the new drivers digi card daily when he first starts, then weekly/fortnightly with everyone else once you know he is driving within the rules).

I use a contract to define who is responsible for what part of each task within the transport operation (e.g. TM is responsible for tacho analysis and checking download frequency but the Operator is responsible for physically downloading or collecting tachos. Operator is responsible for physical storage of paper charts, TM is responsible for checking they’re stored correctly etc). I recommend keeping a diary of the duties you are performing and any visits you make. I also publish agendas and minutes for all meetings, showing responsibilities for actionable items with task completion deadlines (which are followed up). It sounds like a PIA but it’s easy enough once you have made all the templates. It also helps keep everything straight if you have several operators/centres doing similar stuff.

Once everything is established and working smoothly (which can take a while), I would expect to visit every 6-8 weeks and communicate via email when needed usually just sending notifications and status updates. I like to confirm meeting times and dates on the phone.

If you are acting as a TM for a new O licence you will be getting an invite to a DVSA new operator seminar, make use of it to ask any questions that you have

My understanding is that the guidelines produced by the TC (that is, the amended guidelines as of Dec '15) cover both site visits and home working for any given licence. It depends how you like to work too, if you like a cuppa and natter with the lads or just straight in and out once you’ve done your stuff. I try to work efficiently, so, if I had to stay at a yard and wait for a unit to come in for whatever reason, I’d have something else to crack on with, and I organise my time accordingly. That said, I find that home working can be more intense than at the yard! Every firm is different and I’m sure most TM’s will agree…