How to upset the austrians

When i was on Astrans we had a system in place with regard to the permits and although we did not use mickeys on that firm we did sometimes avoid having them stamped…which meant we could use them again…the system we had in place was that once we had done the paper work for austria…before crossing into yugoslavia…we would leave the permit with our agent…so any following Astran trucks.or those going home…would always have a valid permit we were a well respected company and known by all the border police and customs and were treated with respect …and us to them…company policy as it were. This trip i was on my way back from Baghdad…as i negotiated the worst mountain on the route Tarhir or Tarsus as some called it…it was difficult as it was covered in a foot of ice and snow and the kamikazi turk drivers didnt help matters…not moving out of your way as you were trying to get up the hill…or even sliding sideways down it at various levels…the grader drivers or snowploughs would always be nearby inncase you should go over the edge (no barriers to stop you) or even slide into the side of the mountain and
needed to be pulled out…it was back breaking at times to keep stopping and putting on your snow chains…and taking them off when the road had clear patches…i always put a spare chain on my front wheel of the unit, and one on the trailer on the opposite side to the front one as well, which gave me very good traction…although not letting it give me a false sense of security for you always had to have your wits about you, eventually i started to climb down the last stretch where the road would then be flat up towards Trabson and Ersincan, i started to slide as i barely touched the exhaust brake in first gear and saw the trailer sideways through the mirror as the engine cut out…my heart was in my mouth at this point as i struggled to bring the old girl under control and to re-start the engine…i had no choice but to accelerate…to straighten her out…which she did…and then i spotted what looked like one of our motors parked up in the opposite direction…it was the firms favourite truck AMY…which she was christened because that was the first letters of the number plate…the driver was Jeff Ruggins the very same guy who took me on my first trip to the middle east…i managed to park safely and although i kept the engine running because of the cold (minus 20) crossed over the road to see what the problem was…it seemed that old amy had shot her big end bearings and Geoff (god rest him) was trying to change them…i soon got my overalls on and joined him under the truck as all that was left was to re-place the sump after greasing the new gasket for a tight seal…i left geoff on his own while i put the kettle on and kept the truck warm…making sure there was plenty of water and a washing bowl and swafega to clean up with. Job done Geoff started the old girl and left her ticking over whilst he enjoyed a hot coffee and a sandwich…after an hour he went back over and gave her some serious revs…knock…knock…knock…knock…too much for her…crank was knackered…so we eventually left her there…drove 10 miles up the road to a garage where we could park…i dropped my trailer after speaking to the forecourt attendant…and ran back to geoffs outfit…which was a road train.and the trailer was connected via a dolly…so i managed to pick up the trailer smashing my back lights along the way…and took it back to the garage and parked it…then went back to tow amy as well…we parked everything up and went in search of an international telephone…which we eventually found in Ersuram…we phoned bob Paul and told him the news…he would arrange a new crank and shells and all the spares amy would want and would arrange for ■■■■ Snow to bring them out to the Londra Mo-camp in Istanbul…and also for Scania to recover the truck and take it to Ankara for the re-build, in the mean time i would give geoff a lift there and he would wait for the arrival of the bits he desperately needed…On the way geoff asked if he could drive my outfit…so he took over the driving only for a kamikazi turk to hit us broadside smashing the n/s window…taking the mirror off…damaging the door…and breaking the T.I.R. cord in 5 places…and not stopping but we eventually arrived in Istanbul where we booked into the motel for a refreshing shower and a night on the proverbial…next morning i called Ayadin from across the road to assess the damage…i also called customs and they came out to the Londra to re-seal the t.i.r. cord in the 5 places it had been broken…i didnt have a spare one as it was an unusual length and not a standard one…but the job was done and noted on the carnet…eventually i had to leave Geoff after 3 days…all the repairs had been done and looked like nothing had ever happened…good mechanic Ayadin…and such a nice guy…would often come over the road to share a beer or a chay.(chai.).cuppa tea
after the formalities at kapicule the border with Bulgaria…i set off through Yugoslavia and then reached Spielfeld the border with Germany…it was a nice border with a circle of earth in the middle and full with the best daffodils and tulips…so i went into the office to get my carnet stamped.the guard must have got out of bed the wrong side this morning for he had the raving hump…and insisted he checked my seals…well he didnt like it when he saw the cord had been broken and re-sealed by the turks…he insisted on a new cord…so i pointed out that i had been through 3 previous countries with no problems…and wanted to know why he wanted to cause problems and that if it was good enough for the others …then it should be good enough for him…NEIN.NEIN…99 i repeated 99…why you keep shouting 99 i asked…NEIN…NEIN he went on and on…new cord he said…then shouted permit so i showed him that…out of date…so now hes got the raving hump even more…so i started calling him names…like super kraut super german…and told him his nice flower arrangement was history…and i was so angry that i drove right across it…flattening everything…and he smiled as i walked back rubbing his thumb and forefinger suggesting it would cost me plenty…i went to the agents office…we had one on every border…and i explained what id done..and that i needed another permit and a t.i.r. cord..and he went over to the office to sort out how much damage i had caused telling me beforehand that it served them right..the chef` (boss) was called and agreed that his man had gone over the top with regard to the cord as it was eventually accepted…but with the new permit stamped i could go…providing i paid for the damage…which was about £65…lot of money back then…but i had to eat humble pie…apologised…and got on my way…and eventually the Hook Van Holland and the ferry home and my long awaited 10 days off before the next trip.for we always were entitled to 10 days off after each trip unless we shipped out earlier and we would be paid accordingly…same as the xmas period…we could fly home at the companies expense or stay and get the airfare in our wages…not a bad deal…way back then…more stories to follow…
have a nice day

Another wonderful tale full of the up,s and down,s along with the

good description of a typical idiot who when given a uniform and

a job for life ( civil servants have a job for ever) always think that

they are right and behave like programmened idiots.

Please keep on jotting your memories down and thank you for shareing

them with all of us,

i agree with pete keep em coming m8

Another great story truckyboy :smiley: .

Nice one Bob, looking forward to bumping into you on the ferry and hearing some of these stories first hand.

)

truckyboy:
…it seemed that old amy had shot her big end bearings and Geoff (god rest him) was trying to change them…

Says alot that statement truckyboy!!. How many drivers (international or otherwise) today would be able to identify, find, then fix a major fault (changing big ends!!! :open_mouth: ) like that, by the side of the road, in the middle of winter, in the middle of nowhere, in a foriegn country?? A case of just roll up your sleeves, grab some tools and get on with it!! Cos if you dont then who will?

Not me, I couldnt do it!! Wouldnt have a clue :blush:

I think it would be fair to say that the guys who ran down there in the early days were more than just drivers!

Excellent tale, keep em coming

Cheers, bullitt.

truckboy youve got more stories than jessie james :laughing: :laughing: keep em coming

Innit…i have been in the industry a long time…and worked for a lot of companies…theres loads more to come…as i think of them…watch this space !!

Neil (coffeeholic) i`m on the Dover/Dunkirk ferry Norfolk line this sunday en-route to espana.hope to see ya in dover…about…1900-2000 hrs left ■■■■■■ Daf
have a nice one