My year with Lindner transport, Austria

I saw an ad for a driver in a truck mag, rang the guy up, interview over the phone, then asked can i be in Calais to collect the truck that had been left there, the keys will be on top of the radiator, but stay there untill the Hungarion driver brings me the truck paperwork later on.
The job was running to Spain and back to the Uk, mainly steel from the Yorkshire area, in a Scania and red and green trailer, i had to leave in the end as they never paid the expenses back,i would fax the work and time sheets and the pay was always on time and not messed around with.
The reloads were text over to me, and the only negative thing was we were told to always fuel up at Luxembourg, but that was a long way to get to Barcelona.
I used to park the truck in my village, a retired milatary gent objected to this foreign truck outside his house and i got the blame for all the kids ripping off the ivy off his wall and the truck attracted criminals to the village.
He said i should park in the nearest truck parking which was 7 miles away and walk home.
He called the police, who turned out to be concerned that the driver was ill or dead in the cab and that i should leave the cab curtains open when on my time off, so they could see in.
Most of the work was sliding roof, and as it was a foreign truck i would hear the yard staff and fork lift drivers making comments and got a shock when i was an English man, that should teach them not to judge.

And what planet was this on?

Planet Tobias. :smiley:

Blimey that had the hallmark of a real good story and it fizzled out … I’m so disapointed … :sunglasses:

It started ok, the Hungarion drivers were on the fiddle selling fuel on the Shell cards, maybe to the Turks that loiter around at the diesel stations around the Calais area.

I can remember loading steel in Avesta Sheffield with an English bloke driving for Lindner. Be about 98 ish.

Was it me,you saw? :smiley:

andrewv8:
I can remember loading steel in Avesta Sheffield with an English bloke driving for Lindner. Be about 98 ish.

wont he be retired now then :slight_smile:

Which is odd how a complete stranger gives me a truck over the phone without flying to the Fatherland for an interview, some Uk lads did fly out,i tried to make them pay my bus and ferry crossing, but no joy.To collect the truck that is.

the flying foden:

andrewv8:

wont he be retired now then :slight_smile:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I got my 8ft tow bar from a Lindner trailer, had a bloody nightmare with one of their trailers, so it was only fair that they donated the tow bar :open_mouth: I picked up the trailer, already hooked up to my unit from Romac’s Crayford warehouse (our yard was on the same estate) and took it to Dover, parked it in the slot, undid my suzies, wound down the legs and pulled the pin, pulled out and OMG, WTF :question: The trailer was leaning over to the right at an alarming angle, turns out there was a handle on each side and the legs weren’t linked, you had to wind both down individually :unamused:

toby1234abc:
I used to park the truck in my village, a retired milatary gent objected to this foreign truck outside his house and i got the blame for all the kids ripping off the ivy off his wall and the truck attracted criminals to the village.

I think i know the gentleman in question Toby, from our previous conversation via PM, would be about the right reaction from certain elements in said village :smiley:

BTW was this before the bypass was built?

After the bypass.The gentlemen in question has passed away.