Leggetts european

harry:
UMD 36S- Driven by Dave Jeffries: Jeffries went with a firm in Middle Switzerland. His truck got nicked in UK .He hitchted a ride to Swiss to jack-in but the boss offered him the keys to a brand new rig standing outside. Jefferies was captivated & is still probably moaning & groaning his merry way back & forth. :laughing:
The scanny was part of a batch that were fitted with night heaters & then the boss paid good money to have them taken out until somebody reminded him that it was EU law & then he had to pay good money to have 'em put back.
What happened to Swiss Roll?
Linney ,I think was the name of the Legget family. Some good ,some best forgotten… mostly forget 'em. :laughing:

I worked at the reddish, stockport depot from '98-'02. They were called Linney. Not the best company I’ve worked for but I heard it used to be ok.

Hi all has anyone got any pics of leggetts european trucks , Andy

TRANSCON ANDY:
Hi all has anyone got any pics of leggetts european trucks , Andy

there are some Leggett pics on the excellent north west lorries site at: paulanderson.fotopic.net/

Sorry no pics but remember Leggetts - used to do their tyres late 70s.
They still had a couple of Atkinsons with the sleepers then and the workshop/depot was at the old railway station - Shrivenham.

Not great quality but these are old pictures.
UMD 37S- she may have been on UK work by the time this picture was taken
UMD 36S- Driven by Dave Jeffries

This Stockport based scania did a few european trips.

UMD 36S- Driven by Dave Jeffries: Jeffries went with a firm in Middle Switzerland. His truck got nicked in UK .He hitchted a ride to Swiss to jack-in but the boss offered him the keys to a brand new rig standing outside. Jefferies was captivated & is still probably moaning & groaning his merry way back & forth. :laughing:
The scanny was part of a batch that were fitted with night heaters & then the boss paid good money to have them taken out until somebody reminded him that it was EU law & then he had to pay good money to have 'em put back.
What happened to Swiss Roll?
Linney ,I think was the name of the Legget family. Some good ,some best forgotten… mostly forget 'em. :laughing:

I wrote an article on leggetts european workwhich appeared in theJuly 2002 issue of Truck and Driver magazine,the info and photos came from Roland"roly"Cambell who drove for Leggetts for 8 years on the Swiss run.Here are some of those photos.I will also put some of my photos of other leggetts motors on here.

Where is Dave Jeffries now , last time i see him was about 1981/82. Would like to know is he still working in swiss or uk.
If any body knows, post reply please. :question: :question: :question: :question:

Hi Tony last spoke to him about 3 years ago where he was working for Jimmy Pengally at Barking

What’s Jimmy up to these days ? Haven’t seen Jim since he was running Swiss for Ken Davies.

Thanks mrken jimmy pengally he,s the guy with the white ERF,S i think if so i will keep an eye out see if he is still there.
Cheer,s mate much abliged. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

scania----tony:
Where is Dave Jeffries now , last time i see him was about 1981/82. Would like to know is he still working in swiss or uk.
If any body knows, post reply please. :question: :question: :question: :question:

Pretty sure he is on for Wincanton now sampling the easy life!!

carl jarman:
I wrote an article on leggetts european workwhich appeared in theJuly 2002 issue of Truck and Driver magazine,the info and photos came from Roland"roly"Cambell who drove for Leggetts for 8 years on the Swiss run.Here are some of those photos.I will also put some of my photos of other leggetts motors on here.

And is that a 180 Gardner in that Atki too?

Hi Jimmys doing really well now had 2 on for me for a little while then went back on european got 4 or 5 superspace cabs on fridge trailers now look great
a top bloke

The photos of UMD 36S and UMD 37S look like they were taken at the old London depot in Lea Valley Road.36S is parked on the old service station site now replaced by houses and 37S looks like its parked on the old trailer park which was on the opposite side of the road now a car dealers.I remember when UMD 37S first arrived.I think its first driver was Ronnie Fielding .

Ruley:
The photos of UMD 36S and UMD 37S look like they were taken at the old London depot in Lea Valley Road.36S is parked on the old service station site now replaced by houses and 37S looks like its parked on the old trailer park which was on the opposite side of the road now a car dealers.I remember when UMD 37S first arrived.I think its first driver was Ronnie Fielding .

They were indeed taken at the old Lea Valley road depot! Can’t remember who had what motors at what time all i can remember is my old fella Roy Jackson had UMD 39S for a short while before Clive White ended up with it!!
It was around this time Ronnie Fielding set up on his own taking on me dad when he got his second unit!!

How is Roy.Last time I saw him was about 15 years ago in the canteen at NFT London Colney.I think he was working fo ELW out of Darwen.

My memories of Leggetts during the 1980’s are good :smiley:
When I used to ride up and down the M1 with Diesel Dan, Billy Goat, Jaffa Cake etc the most well known driver on Leggetts was ‘Caveman’ (Dave) … wonder what he is doing now ? he shared a flat with another ‘Jaffa’ who turned out to be as bent as a nine bob note :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
The later (Jaffa) went to Elan from what I remember ?

How about Tony the Norwegian? used to do 2 trips a week to Swiss in an old Atki.