Pete - recognition at last!

Does this mean fame and fortune has found you at last?

Steve

Ste46:

Steve

Yes Steve, just one of my many ‘irons in the fire’ I have to try and make a shilling or two! I thought that if ROF can earn a healthy living, and run a Jaguar, with his overpriced sheeting and roping courses, besides charging an excessive fee for breakfasts consisting of stale bread and cold tea, then I should branch out into the world of high finance with buying a housing estate. :wink: I even had a whole ship named after me once upon a time… that venture didn’t work out too well though as it sank. :unamused:

Pete.

You’ll think so when the papperatzi find you Pete ! That’ll steady you up, cheers from your no1 fan Coomsey

Every time I see a windrush(Pete) post I can’t help connecting with the River Windrush giving name to the long gone Windrush Transport Cafe on the old A40 Burford side of Witney it also was the main water supply for Witney blanket mills of the day. There is also a multi storey tower block at Cowley named Windrush Tower.
Oily

oiltreader:
Every time I see a windrush(Pete) post I can’t help connecting with the River Windrush giving name to the long gone Windrush Transport Cafe on the old A40 Burford side of Witney it also was the main water supply for Witney blanket mills of the day. There is also a multi storey tower block at Cowley named Windrush Tower.
Oily

They were both named after him of course Oily, he’s done well to keep such a low profile all this time, now the cat’s out of the bag his name will be popping up everywhere, you see ! Cheers Coomsey :unamused:

coomsey:

oiltreader:
Oily

They were both named after him of course Oily, he’s done well to keep such a low profile all this time, now the cat’s out of the bag his name will be popping up everywhere, you see ! Cheers Coomsey :unamused:

The cafe served me well for a few years Paul and Oily, but when you have charitable people around like ROF offering cut price sub standard breakfasts etc (and even for free in certain cases for needy folk! :unamused: ) I just couldn’t compete so it had to go. :cry: The tower isn’t mine though, I missed out on that one alas. :confused: Never mind, being a former tipper driver I have a cracking pension to fall back on and the housing estate rents will keep that topped up so there is no way that we will starve! :wink:

Pete.

I had a good laugh reading your exchanges, folks! Certainly what we French call “l’humour anglais”!

Froggy55:
I had a good laugh reading your exchanges, folks! Certainly what we French call “l’humour anglais”!

We aim to please Froggy! :wink: Now this is a venture that I WAS actually involved with, I served on the Windrush Club’s (the owners club for Cotswold Coachcraft caravans) committee for many years and was Chairman for several of them and was responsible for organizing events and dinners etc. No money in this venture, infact it cost the wife and me a small fortune over the years, but we enjoyed it while it lasted. :laughing:

Pete.

That was a bad mistake of yours, publishing the menu for your club’s dinner! And you’ve got the infernal cheek to comment on the fare at the Charitable Macclesfield Breakfast Club when your lot are dining on such exotic stuff as Farmhouse Pate & Prime Roast Beef!
And if I’d known you were the one creaming off all the profits from the Windrush Café (Rest it’s soul) I may not have breakfasted there quite so often in my early days. I remember as if it were yesterday my regular order, “Everything you’ve got, two toasts, an extra egg and a tea, please”. Of course, there would be the inevitable shouts from the back of the seating area, “And we’ve got time for another cup, too”. How do you think I’ve retained my youthful, racing snake figure?
And surely you haven’t forgotten what sterling service that fine old vessel the Empire Windrush did for us? If it hadn’t been for her, London Transport would have had no bus drivers!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I really do appreciate your contribution to my coffers by dining in the Windrush Cafe Rof, I couldn’t afford to eat there myself though. :unamused: Oh and that ‘fine old vessel the Empire Windrush’ brought me to these shores as well, I actually travelled on the bridge for part of the journey, however they had enough staff on London Transport by that time (1951) so I had to settle for piloting tippers instead and never looked back! :wink:

Pete.

I reckon Pete has got his fingers in alot of pies. Maybe we should re name him the “Governor or Mr Big” :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

So it seems that the tipper job was just a hobby, then? Reading between the lines I reckon Pete must have a similar sized pension fund to that of the former ■■■■■■■■ haulage magnate! If we could persuade Windy to join the Macc Breakfast Club I’m sure he wouldn’t shirk his responsibilities as some other members do. Maybe he could even run to an extra fried slice, which would do Dave’s heart a power of good!

DEANB:
I reckon Pete has got his fingers in alot of pies. Maybe we should re name him the “Governor or Mr Big” :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

No need for that Dean, just simply calling me ‘Sir’ (accompanied by respectful bowing of course) will do nicely for now. :wink:

Rof: alas my pension is nothing like our man in the Fells, too many ‘hangers on’ and benevolent causes to fund. :unamused: I never got salvage on that ship either! :cry: Now if things were different on a personal front I would gladly join the brekkie club just to see what some of you actually look like as the mental picture I have probably flatters you! :laughing: I only know Dan so all the rest are just names on a page, and not even real ones in some cases which I can understand as the Inland Revenue have their spies everywhere! I would certainly stand my round though, I bet it’s a right struggle some have trying to be the last one entering through the doorway? :confused: :laughing:

Pete.

Ste46:

Steve

This will just be a short cul-de-sac made from going off base coarse, left over from a motorway resurfacing job, with a thin layer of wearing coarse rolled on top a couple of weeks later or however long it took to find the next over tonnage job.

“To be sure it’ll be guaranteed to never break up till we’ve left site sir”

windrush:

DEANB:

No need for that Dean, just simply calling me ‘Sir’ (accompanied by respectful bowing of course) will do nicely for now. :wink:

Rof: alas my pension is nothing like our man in the Fells, too many ‘hangers on’ and benevolent causes to fund. :unamused: I never got salvage on that ship either! :cry: Now if things were different on a personal front I would gladly join the brekkie club just to see what some of you actually look like as the mental picture I have probably flatters you! :laughing: I only know Dan so all the rest are just names on a page, and not even real ones in some cases which I can understand as the Inland Revenue have their spies everywhere! I would certainly stand my round though, I bet it’s a right struggle some have trying to be the last one entering through the doorway? :confused: :laughing:

Pete.

If you saw what we really look like it would put you right off that expensive breakfast!

1970commer:

Ste46:

Steve

This will just be a short cul-de-sac made from going off base coarse, left over from a motorway resurfacing job, with a thin layer of wearing coarse rolled on top a couple of weeks later or however long it took to find the next over tonnage job.

“To be sure it’ll be guaranteed to never break up till we’ve left site sir”

Now now ‘young’ ( :open_mouth: ) Robert, don’t go lumping us fine Dales folk with the con tricks you in the affluent south inflicted on the unsuspecting public! :unamused: That close was laid with only the finest quality sealing grit and lasted right up until until either the first pedal cycle passed over it or the first rain storm arrived. I was long gone by then of course, however my cover appears to have been blown now? :cry: :wink:

Rof: I must have seen far worse sights than you lads, (and no, not in my mirror!) so you wont put me off of my grub!

Pete.

windrush:

DEANB:

Pete.

If you saw what we really look like it would put you right off that expensive breakfast!
[/quote]

Retired Old ■■■■:

windrush:

DEANB:

Pete.

[/quote]
I’m useless at posting photos , but if a certain image were to see the light of day ?

I don’t mind folk seeing what I look like Dave, although it was back in 1997 so things aren’t quite the same today! :blush: Pics taken by Ray Gould who had the sister Foden to mine.

Top half: the hat was surgically removed in 2002 when I finished driving! :open_mouth:

674f1e07677fb2d1fad2c3451dda93b7.jpg

and my (possibly better looking!) lower half!

Pete.

A Foden tipper, gotta be on here.
Oily