The first sania I saw

First Scania 110 I drove was MKW 421G for Leather Chemical Co out of St Helens, shortly after I drove NAK 715H for same company, the units were supplied by B & W Motors of Wolverhampton on a one year lease, at the end of the lease the returned to B & W who sold them on to a Midland company called Foulkes, I hope the spelling for Foulkes is correct

The first Scania 140 I ever saw was a LHD one for an owner driver from Todmorden Eric Isherwood who traded as Britannia transport running a tanker and I was always led to believe that this was the first 140 in Britain it may not have been so but it was quite early and was supplied by B & W from the new depot at HYDE.

Chris your right my Dad had a left hand drive Scania 110 with Cyprian Fox group on the head board. And Alltransport on the doors it had Scania Vabis on the grill in little tiny letters and a little 110 and super badge also had twin levers for splitter and gearbox like a LB76 and small mirror arms like a TK Bedford it came from SWS services Hemel Hemstead and I have the keyring in my office with a early metal ingnition and side light key.

Frankie Flintstone:
First Scania 110 I drove was MKW 421G for Leather Chemical Co out of St Helens, shortly after I drove NAK 715H for same company, the units were supplied by B & W Motors of Wolverhampton on a one year lease, at the end of the lease the returned to B & W who sold them on to a Midland company called Foulkes, I hope the spelling for Foulkes is correct

The first Scania 140 I ever saw was a LHD one for an owner driver from Todmorden Eric Isherwood who traded as Britannia transport running a tanker and I was always led to believe that this was the first 140 in Britain it may not have been so but it was quite early and was supplied by B & W from the new depot at HYDE.

Hi, I worked for B+W at W-ton and remember servicing both of those motors but I also remember putting a new cab on a leathers chemical 110 that had a really bad smash but I’m not sure of the reg. number, Scania came to look at it, as up until then they had not had a 110 sustain really bad damage and wanted to inspect it.
LGK 3D was the first LB76 in the country and was in a salmon pink colour as a demo, although it was not the first to be sold and taxed, a firm from Walsall had one of the first (Partridge steels at Pleck) an E reg, as did Bowkers of Blackburns and J&S Hemmings from Pensnett.LGK was then sold to J.Rounds of Dudley who had it many years before Ray Hingley aquired it.
I only ever saw 68 G’reg 110’s so it’s possible that an F reg not sold in our area could have been first.
IIRC the contract lease on Leathers motors was for 21months as was Joseph Foulkes, Sammy Williams,T. Brady and many other companies to get a market established.

Greetings,All. We,at Union Cartage, had a Scania Vabis in 1968/9. It was painted grey and the gearbox had a splitter lever next to the gear lever.It was just about the time when we started going to the Continent. George Curtis was amongst the drivers who drove it. Soon after that,we got the 110 Super model, 6x4. Regards,900X20. :smiley:

Were the Union cartage trucks green and white, I remember the name?

Hello,Trev_H.Up to 1968 they were a Dark green,then all of a sudden the whole fleet was replaced by Brand new Big J’s (AEC 505) and C/F fridge trailers.The Continental side used the Scania 110 Super with spread axle 40ft. C/F trailers. The whole fleet was,as you so rightly remember,painted dark green and white. Regardsa,900X20. :laughing:

if any ones intrested if you search for my samuel williams thread theres cracking lb76 scania vabis photos and a g reg 110 all professional quality.from samuel willams dagenham fleet.taken by my father alan frost

Ive got some UCC 110 pictures and a lot of Brain g reg 110 with those little badges I will put them on others this way as well as Sammys were
Cowards Creasey Martintrux W.J.Sims Beck & Pollitzers also had vabis British ropes Laceys Atwells Spurlings Trinity Wharf Kestrals D Transport
and Bloomfeilds all to name a few.

mrken:
Ive got some UCC 110 pictures and a lot of Brain g reg 110 with those little badges I will put them on others this way as well as Sammys were
Cowards Creasey Martintrux W.J.Sims Beck & Pollitzers also had vabis British ropes Laceys Atwells Spurlings Trinity Wharf Kestrals D Transport
and Bloomfeilds all to name a few.

hiya ken,
what was the name of the creasey brother that ran the blue with white roofs scania’s? i worked for him for a few months in about 1978 subbing for jessie woodcocks i had a scania vabis there with two gearsticks(wish i took some photo’s now) it was summer and you wouldn’t believe the heat in there.

cheers steve.

When I worked for W & M Wood out of Enfield we had six Varbis’s four were Super’s and two non turbo, (big difference in power but still very comfortable), I think three of the motors were E reg. and three F reg. The first of the new square cab motors he bought was a 140 then a dozen or more 110’s. The first Varbis I ever saw, long before our one’s, was a full sleeper cab wagon and drag belonging to Asian Transport as it was known then, driven by Johnny Frost. You were still the bee’s knee’s if you had a Varbis, happy days.

Ossie

rexyu:
Soon after '64, Scania dropped the Vabis bit at the same time as they introduced the Scania 110 to the world.

makes me laugh, all these years later, people with Scania Vabis stickers on their Scannys, most of em werent even born when they dropped the Vabis name. prob none have ever driven one.

Wonder if anyone has the little triangle key that opened the grille on the vabis, I must have one in my toolbox somewhere. There was also an angled key that went in the battery master switch, they had some good ideas on those motors,laminated windscreen,the chain operated rad blind from in the cab, trailer brake lever, the tractor protection switch ( shut the air off to the trailer in an emergency), they were well ahead of their time in 66/67.

hi all,
cool thread,because i was born in 1965 memories of the vabis are very vague for me.though i do remember this 110 when new,so i would say this one would be the first scania i ever saw.driven by len tyler,who gave me this photo,monarch transport from llandow had two 110’s new and they ran alongside a mandator v8 on steel from port talbot :sunglasses: .

Hi Steve
That was Robert and that was the old one we had at Bloomfields TUR 9E there was also a Greg one as well

Hi,Heres a cutting from a 1964 Motor Transport magazine,CCY246B was an early attempt by Scania to explore the english market and see if we liked them…the rest is history :smiley:

Apologies for the poor quality,

Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Well done Bubbs, I think that settles when the first Scania Vabis was in the country once and for all, also gives me chance to correct my spelling in my earlier post of the name Vabis.

Ossie

hi marcus,
i forgot about bill entress’ left ■■■■■■,my old man always mentions that motor too me :sunglasses: .
regards andrew.

Frankie Flintstone:

Im good friends with the man who was the Garage Manager at B & W Hyde (He had been sen there from the Wolverhampton depot) and he confirms that Erics 140 was the first in he Country and he also tells me within 6 months he put a new crank in it !

Well done Mark I always thought it was 1966 so at leaste we know look at the lenth of the wheelbase

The first Scania Vabis I remember was a D reg 1966 unit, it was used pulling a low loader trailer moving kit around for the local county council. The first proper Scania I remember seeing was a 110 Sleeper cab unit in around 1968, it was owned by Graham Harraway a well respected cattle haulier based in Somerset, it was coupled to a 40 foot single deck cattle trailer & I remember hearing the farmers & wholesale slaughter buyers gathered around it mumbling that he had a bed in that cab. It was also the first sleeper cab around too.

Harraways still haul cattle today and now run FH16 Volvos pulling double deck cattle trailers. As far as I know, they still haul for the same wholesale butchers now as they did right back then, not many people can boast that these days.

BB