Brit trucks on Middle east and international trucking

Hi I have just finished a couple of great books ’ Baghdad Trucker’ and ’ Long haul pioneers’ so i am interested to find out if any body knew of anyone who ran Foden 4000’s or Seddon Atkinson 401/411s on these runs??

I think you’ll have more joy with this post in the old timers section. Some of the people that post on there have written similar, if not these actual books.

Ok thanks i will give it try.

In his book “A Thousand Miles from Nowhere”, Graham Coster went as a passenger to Moscow in a Seddon Atkinson.

I will have a look for that book thanks Harry

bluenosebulls:
Hi I have just finished a couple of great books ’ Baghdad Trucker’ and ’ Long haul pioneers’ so i am interested to find out if any body knew of anyone who ran Foden 4000’s or Seddon Atkinson 401/411s on these runs??

I agree with nomiS36’s observation above, so I’ve moved your topic to this forum because I think it’s now far more likely to get read and responded to by those in the know. :smiley:

Sadly I can’t remember his name or who he drove for, I didn’t keep a diary which of course now I wish I had, but I remember a Scottish lad I met at Kapik, heading for Iran, driving a Big J. (I would have loved one in 1970, but perhaps not in 1976 on ME!) he was complaining that he no longer had a torch - useful bit of kit. His big J had a 2ft wide sleeper capsule welded on the back and his torch had been on the bunk, and kept rolling off it into the foot well. He said he had eventually thrown it out of the window, shouting ‘Get oot and walk ye fing basd!’

I couldn’t have done that, whatever I was driving, but even from my silver grille Volvo F88, I was in no way envious of his Guy!

John.

Thanks all for comments, didnt astrans run a big j draw bar way back in early days? thanks dieseldave where about have you posted it? im new to this.

bluenosebulls:
Thanks all for comments, didnt astrans run a big j draw bar way back in early days? thanks dieseldave where about have you posted it? im new to this.

ive found it thanks :smiley:

Have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82202&p=1118686&hilit=atkinson+saudi#p1118686

240 Gardner:
Have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82202&p=1118686&hilit=atkinson+saudi#p1118686

perfect thanks will have a good look at that.

bluenosebulls i don’t recall a big J on Asian transport, but there were others running to M/E with big J`s…Asian transport did their first trip with an AEC road train.

BTW there is a guy on F/B who has just had a new book published ( old pond ) or whatever theyre called now…his name is Ivor Whittall…check it out.

truckyboy:
bluenosebulls i don’t recall a big J on Asian transport, but there were others running to M/E with big J`s…Asian transport did their first trip with an AEC road train.

BTW there is a guy on F/B who has just had a new book published ( old pond ) or whatever theyre called now…his name is Ivor Whittall…check it out.

£24.95 for a book- their having a laugh, aren’t they? Is it gold plated?

truckyboy:

Ages ago I started a thread called Guy Big-Js on Long-haul Work - here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=137711&hilit=guy+big+j+long+haul

Robert :wink:

Their was a lad who ran a Yellow C series ERF for Archbolds middle east . Don’t know his name but he had a lame leg .

kickstart:

truckyboy:

The book is worth every penny you tight[zb] !
Get yer [zb]money out ! And get educated about the old days.

Hello Truckyboy, how’s it going ?
Long time no see/hear… I’m still struggling in the Caribbean !! :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi yall! Whats that called??

Danne

Dirty Dan:

Danne

Could be this one:
google.com/url?sa=t&source= … nzfM69at6R

GS OVERLAND:

kickstart:

truckyboy:

The book is worth every penny you tight[zb] !
Get yer [zb]money out ! And get educated about the old days.

Hello Truckyboy, how’s it going ?
Long time no see/hear… I’m still struggling in the Caribbean !! :stuck_out_tongue:

I am fully educated about the old times, having lived and worked through them. As to the book being worth every penny, that is a subjective view. I have many books on this subject, including Ashley’ s fine book for around the same price. His book has considerably more pages than this one, including many fine photos. When I look at the description of this book it doesn’t mention any photos, Also it is not available until June. My point was that there are many other books on this subject, written by authors who have also experienced the “Middle East” runs, including Paul Rowlands at £14.95 some of which are only around £5-£6. Nowhere in any description of this book can I see anything in it to make it worth the extra. Perhaps, when it is finally published and someone gives a more comprehensive review, other than what is available at the moment, I might “get my money out” and buy it. Until such time I do not need financial advice from you or anyone else on how to spend my pension, thank you!
Les.

[zb]
anorak:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

Could be this one:
google.com/url?sa=t&source= … nzfM69at6R

Thank you so mutch anorak! I think i have a look at this one to :sunglasses:

Danne