Camion Stew

Just interested whether Brexit voters know what Camion Stew is
And if yes, what would they contribute?

whisperingsmith:
Just interested whether Brexit voters know what Camion Stew is
And if yes, what would they contribute?

Beef madras.

This brexiteer knows what camion stew is.I’ve eaten many over the years with good company of various nationalities.Mind,the taste is never the same twice but it goes down well with some local bread so as not to waste the juice.
I have to say that I would prefer to see less hysteria and name calling of other nationalities;also referring to WW2 "jokes"is not even black humour.My dad did his bit in north Africa and Europe including 3 years as pow in Poland and he never talked about it.
I do feel that the EU will implode in a few years anyway with or without brexit.Too few payers and too many takers backed up by a corrupt political elite.

Another Brexiteer who knows what Camion Stew is and has eaten it. Middleeasttruckingstories.co.uk I can’t stomach EU stew, it has no relevance to any EEC trading group that I can see.

John.

Camion Stew, I have no idea what that has got to do with Brexit but a lot of remoaners probably think that he’s a French lorry driver.
A tin of Marks and Spencers steak and kidney pie filling was always a good starter, not a tin of your Goblin brand allegedly beef and onions. The piece de resistance was always the good company along with a few cold bottles of Efes, the more the merrier on both accounts. :wink:

Fair play to you lads ; there’s no arguing with that

The same delicious M and S canned beef that I can remember us packing for family camping holidays on the continent before we joined the EEC and which they still sell today.From memory my parents’ logic went along the lines that it was cheaper to take loads of our own food because of the massive cost of living difference between the ‘common market’ v Brit wage rates in the day even allowing for the much higher value of the pound. :wink:

marksandspencerfoodhall.co.u … 06610a2466

Also remember far more Brit trucks taking a larger share of the Brit trade surplus which we enjoyed with Europe then.As opposed to the trade deficit that we have now with the lose lose of it being hauled by East Euro based vehicles.

The best Camion Stews were the ones that had a good nutritious base and didn’t entirely comprise tinned foods. I remember one hot afternoon in Sale, Morocco when several of us were loading in various factories in the industrial zone. Dave Clarke from Bodmin and I had already loaded, so he and I dived down into the alleyways and found a butcher for some basic meat (sheep I think), and a stall with onions, garlic and carrots etc. We got this under way using our gas stoves. Then as each driver returned after loading we simply added a tin of this and a tin of that depending on what drivers were carrying. Bottles of Rioja and ‘Flag’ beer were popped open and by dark-time we were all sitting in the velvety heat in our garden chairs feasting on proper Camion Stew. We’ll never get those days back. Robert

And wasn’t it a bugger when the inside of your trailer box got wet and the labels came off all the tins and you didn’t know which was a tin of potato’s or a tin of rice pudding until you opened it. :frowning:
I first met Dave Clarke when we were weekending at The Prater Stadium in Vienna in 1980, he was driving for a mate of his who had a Berliet and Dave was waiting to get a Ford Transcontinental so that he could start doing Middle East work. I think that Dave said his mate was called either Diamond or Prince from the West Country. Over the next seven years we met up and run together on a number of occasions when he was pulling for Whittles of Preston.
Whenever I go through my old photo shoe box I always wonder if this was the same Dave Clarke from Cornwall. :confused:

mushroomman:
And wasn’t it a bugger when the inside of your trailer box got wet and the labels came off all the tins and you didn’t know which was a tin of potato’s or a tin of rice pudding until you opened it. :frowning:
I first met Dave Clarke when we were weekending at The Prater Stadium in Vienna in 1980, he was driving for a mate of his who had a Berliet and Dave was waiting to get a Ford Transcontinental so that he could start doing Middle East work. I think that Dave said his mate was called either Diamond or Prince from the West Country. Over the next seven years we met up and run together on a number of occasions when he was pulling for Whittles of Preston.
Whenever I go through my old photo shoe box I always wonder if this was the same Dave Clarke from Cornwall. :confused:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
old habits die hard.
its still not uncommon for me to eat my pudding 1st on the ferry if its a good un.
sods law dictated that if you had 4 tins of spuds,5 of meat and 1 of fruit or rice pudding,it would be the 1st or last tin you would open.
it was alwas a bummer having eaten your meat and spuds,to gamble on what one left was the fruit or rice pudding.
tinned spuds or corned beef and a spoon of jam is no substitute.

From memory my parents’ logic went along the lines that it was cheaper to take loads of our own food because of the massive cost of living difference between the ‘common market’ v Brit wage rates in the day even allowing for the much higher value of the pound.

mushroomman:
I always wonder if this was the same Dave Clarke from Cornwall. :confused:

Could be wrong but I can’t remember Dave wearing a skirt :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dave…

mushroomman:

Yeah, that’s the same Dave Clarke. He drove for Whittles. When he ran his own wagons on M/E and North Africa work they were always Mercs. I drove his wagon down to Fez one trip while he was in hospital. Here he is his in his natural habitat cooking Camion Stew in Tangiers, Morocco. Robert

Knocked this one together just yesterday. Right next to the back wheel; to keep out of the wind.

dave docwra:

mushroomman:
I always wonder if this was the same Dave Clarke from Cornwall. :confused:

Could be wrong but I can’t remember Dave wearing a skirt :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dave…

No, no, no, no, no Dave, I didn’t mean her, I meant the young fellow with a smile on his face hoping to be breast fed.
Hang on, that could be any of them. :unamused:

you couldn’t beat a good pot luck nosh. Never ever knew what was going in the pot. But that was the exciting bit about it. And with an effes control to look forward to, it didn’t really matter. The end result was what the “spread axle” was invented for. What goes in must come out!!! :frowning: