Brewery Lorries

cav551:

paulycats:
12I’m sure most of the lads from the North East recognise this brewery (and no doubt had a pint or two from it’s product)
Built on the main road which of course became the A19, wish i had a quid for every time i passed it.

Became a Whitbread brewery in the early 60’s, closed in 2002.
Personally i loved the “Trophy” beer.They brewed Mackeson Stout here too.

More of a technical query this: So there is a recipe for brewing a particular beer which is clearly closely followed by any brewery making another’s product, but what about the water? The taste of water varies slightly throughout the country according to whatever minerals are in it, so how do they overcome that?

It was because of the local water quality that Burton on Trent became famous for its breweries, some of which were, and are, national brands. Magee Marshall brewery, which was in Bolton, and became part of the Greenall Whitley group, used water drawn from a well in Burton on Trent. Railcar tanks were used for transporting the water from Burton to Bolton and the brewery had its own rail siding. Search any publication about railway private ownership wagons and you will find a photo of one of Magee’s water tanks. Incidentally Magee’s had a large number of pubs in Blackpool and in the summer season several of Magee’s Leyland Comets and trailers ran between Bolton and Blackpool daily.