BREWERY LORRIES

Mike150166:
Hi everyone, Here are the photo’s I mentioned of the Simonds ERF (CRD 10). Sorry about the hair, but it was the 80’s :stuck_out_tongue: 3210

Hi Mike and thanks so much for the pics-ref the very top one is the chap on the far left peering into the engine bay Ray Curry■■?

I hope it´s okay with some photos of foreign brewery lorries :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Those photos were taken 1987 in Lauterbach, Germany

/Stellan

Just seen the article re Vaux Breweries i remember when i was a young lad Vaux issued a model lorry i can not remember what make it was that was about 60 year ago i had a one my Mother and Father ran a Vaux pub at the time

TautlinerTerry:

Mike150166:
Hi everyone, Here are the photo’s I mentioned of the Simonds ERF (CRD 10). Sorry about the hair, but it was the 80’s :stuck_out_tongue: 3210

Hi Mike and thanks so much for the pics-ref the very top one is the chap on the far left peering into the engine bay Ray Curry■■?

Doesn’t look like Ray to me Terry - I worked with Ray at Reading Garage in the early eighties

Steve

001.jpg

How about this one.I drove this for Harp Lager Alton in1968.Regards Charlie

013.jpg

Hereis another 1969.Regards Charlie :smiley: :smiley:

charlie one:

Hey Charlie you did’nt drive an AEC Mandator reg no. AAA 404 J for harp did you ? cos i bought that motor from Princes Commercials as they were AEC agents before taking on the volvo franchise. Any way if you remember the fuel tank had a guage on the side and while looking round the said motor it said it was full , i thought it was broken but they informed me Harp always filled the motor up before parting with it, it also had a jack and wheelbrace and most important a pair of ear defenders, Anyway if you remember this truck ide like to know cheers Buzby

Buzzer:

charlie one:

Hey Charlie you did’nt drive an AEC Mandator reg no. AAA 404 J for harp did you ? cos i bought that motor from Princes Commercials as they were AEC agents before taking on the volvo franchise. Any way if you remember the fuel tank had a guage on the side and while looking round the said motor it said it was full , i thought it was broken but they informed me Harp always filled the motor up before parting with it, it also had a jack and wheelbrace and most important a pair of ear defenders, Anyway if you remember this truck ide like to know cheers Buzby

Hello John.No mate,theSeddon was the only artic they had at the time (69) except for the two little TKs.I started for Jimmy soon after that.
Regards Charlie :smiley: :smiley:

Lovely old GUY Otter!

IMG_0007.jpg

Beer :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

A pint of Whitbreads best from the early 1950s, at Chiswell Street, EC1…

…and two ‘‘London - Cardiff Delivery’’ Mammoth Major 8s climb A40 Denham Hill - Early 1950s

neversweat1:

Mike150166:

TautlinerTerry:
Hello everyone and how are you?? At long last I’ve scanned in three pics of a Simonds ERF. This Lorry is a Tug and used to pull a drawbar trailer and it dates from the 1930’s era (I’m not sure exactly when). It was restored by Courages and sat in The Berkshire Brewery, Reading. I took these shots in 1993 and as now the brewery has shut I wonder what happened to it? Does anyone know?

Hi Terry, The ERF in question (CRD 10) was delivered to the Simonds brewery in 1936, one of a fleet. I can’t remember how many there were in the fleet but it was more than 10. I remember seeing a photo of them all lined up together. The Reading Evening Post or Reading Chronicle ran a story on it just after it was restored in 1986 I think.
I have quite a few photos of it before, and after being restored, in colour.
I was an apprentice Diesel fitter at the Berkshire Brewery at the time and was very involved in it’s restoration.If anyone is interested I will scan the photos and include them. This ERF was last used as a showmans lorry until it was abandoned in a field near Reading. The farmer who owned the field contacted the Brewery after the showmans paint started to flake off and revealed the original Simonds paintwork underneath.

Mike
I work with a bloke from B.B Workshop - Nigel Lewis - The Brewery looks a sad sight now the diggers have moved in.
I think the old workshop is now a pile of bricks :frowning:
Regards
Steve

Mike150166:

That ERF is great! :exclamation: :smiley: Who owns it now? :question: Please.Here are the details of this ERF lorry:-

ERF Streamline CI6,Gardner 6LW-engined,Ballast Box-bodied,4x2 Brewery Road Locomotive,Chassis No.4140,registered CRD 10 in Reading on Monday,25th November,1946. Simonds Brewery,H & G Simonds Ltd,Reading,Berkshire.

Long hair is stylish,and I’ve got shoulder- length long hair at the moment :slight_smile: It’s the Cavalier Hairstyle :smiley: :-
Both Jonn and George of The Beatles had this harstyle :smiley: :-
beatlesbible.com/gallery/196 … t_park_01/

I love John Lennon’s ■■■■■■■■■ wide-rim hat! :exclamation: :smiley:

Has anyone any idea of the showman who operated this ERF? :question: Please.

I love the AEC Mammoth Major Eight Mk III Brewery Tanker Lorries :smiley:

VALKYRIE

Anybody know if COURAGE changed their livery from Maroon to Blue, and when it happened?.

What colour were the AEC’s artics from about 1970 - the one’s with a gold cockerel on the roof?.

altitude:
If you have more photos Mike please put them on, there will be plenty of interest. I did a job out of the brewery a few times years ago, and seem to remember it being parked there.

HI my name is terry cheesbrough erf ci6 crd10 chassi4140 is in my barn in north yorkshire waiting to be repaird (cab only) to things 1.SIMMONDS OR 2 .SIMONDS 3 .1936 /OR 1946. DID IT START LIFE 6WHEELER OR 4WHEELER.
01757228835 /07710175831 tandtcheesbrough@btinternet.com .

Here are a couple of photos of my Sentinel DV 4/4 which I am currently restoring.
The old B/W photo was taken somewhere in the Tadcaster area in 1948. The lorry must have been nearly new then.
All three are John Smiths wagons starting with the number ‘GWW’
Mine is the front one. The fleet number ‘229’ can be seen clearly on this old photo.
The second photo is the same cab before the stripdown showing the ‘John Smiths’ and the ‘229’ signwriting underneath the current colour/ signwriting.
When the lorry was painted red in 1959, the painters didn’t rub any of the original John Smiths signwriting off and, I have photos of all the original writing, logos etc.
When restored, this lorry will be in Duffields maroon and not John Smiths green. Some may say that this lorry should be returned to it’s original state but, it’s not how I knew it when I was a youngster. It means a lot more to me in it’s later guise and, that is how it will be.
It will be at least another 3 years before it is completed.
If anyone has any photos of John Smiths Sentinels, please let me know as I am always interested.
Regards.
Stephen.

GWW 190.jpg

041.JPG

I have many fond memmories of delivering malt to breweries with my dad in the 60/s.This got me thinking as to how many photos remain
of the old brewery lorries and related transport,ie sugar tankers and malt lorries.Perhaps some of you will no doubt have some pictures of
these types of vehicles.I can remember JOHN SMITHS from tadcaster having a large fleet of green ATKINSONS with a magnet on the
radiator grills.SAM SMITHS brewery was next door and they ran a fleet of red and black BMCs.There lorries were the same colour as
WARICK AND RITCHARDSONS brewery lorries from newark.

This is the only related photo in my collection.Malt being delivered to British Diamalt,by Pauls Malt.

Hi there, my Dad worked for Courage Brewery from '79 to '97 (sadly, it’s about to close) in Reading- I’ll see if i can dig a few out for you! -Terry.

This will test the memories of someone! My mum used to run the Crown pub in Earith Hunts. for many years and i am hard pressed to remember everything but do remember the dray wagons that used to call from Huntingdon Breweries (later to become Steward & Patterson) and Ely ales that used to be brewed at Ely down forehill, we also used to get deliveries from Baldrys (soft drinks) and Wadworths at St.Ives would like to hear if anyone remembers these.Before the Crown we used to have the George & Dragon on the corner of colne road , this is long gone now. I used to go for a ride sometimes with the drays until they had done all the deliveries then i would be dropped off back home,it was common practice then for the drivers to sink a free pint at every drop wouldnt be allowed now!