80's definitely does not count as "old time"

So come on Lads this thread is a right ■■■■■■■ insult to the 50’s/60’s and 70’s ( well maybe the 40’s in “H”'s case! :wink: ) what a cheeky ■■■■■■■ this Bullitt guy is ! Obviously he is just a “brain dead” steering jockey/ curtain puller and this Lucy bird is bulling the ■■■■■■ up ! So lets hear it from the “floor” Cheers Bewick.

:laughing: :laughing: Bewick, read the reply…viewtopic.php?f=35&t=150389

I said Im most definilty NOT an “old hand”!!! Im NOT!! And I don’t claim to be either!!! LOL :laughing:

Why didn’t you just post this in the relevant thread?

Old people taking up valuable space as usual, go figure.

I’m joking! Go post the same 10 sheeted load pics in the R&S thread to calm yourself again, jeesh… :laughing:

Reef:

I’m joking! Go post the same 10 sheeted load pics in the R&S thread to calm yourself again, jeesh… :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

Punchy Dan:

Reef:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

You are just “taking the ■■■■” Dan’l so rev up and ■■■■ off eh ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

My civilian HGV driving started at the end of the 70’s after I’d left the forces and got my Class One as part of my pre release course with other lads that were also due to leave and look for work in transport of which we were told there were many jobs going. Well that piece of priceless information was soon ripped to shreds especially in the Northeast unless you were prepared to don spurs and swing a lasso! The Army unit I was in had no Class One training or testing facilities only up to Class Two, which I’d had for quite a few years, so we done our course in Liverpool with a civvie training company.
Once back in civvie street and after what seemed a long few weeks looking for driving jobs I was pleased to start on Class One work running large circumference Gas pipes from the Hartlepool works to Portobello, usually three pipes to a load but sometimes four, straight up the A1 tip and back empty, just managed in the driving hours back then as the road North hadn’t changed very much since the ‘Golden days’.
However we still had Log Books, Ropes and Sheets, Chains, pulled flat trailers with day cab units and crap money, so for me starting then there wasn’t a great deal of difference from when I went on distance runs with my Father as a lad to learn the skills needed, it was all very familiar and probably testament to the fact that the British Transport industry hadn’t moved on very much since, at least not until the 80’s got going proper more changes occurred, I even remember the roads then still bereft of lines of traffic cones. I would say though the 80’s is an important decade in road transport as so much changed by the beginning of the 90’s. Cheers Franky.

now-then-calm-down-calm-down.jpg

Bullitt, you cheeky little (z.b.) curtain puller jockey. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I noticed that the You Tube video that showed you driving for the United Nations in Bosnia has now disappeared along with all the great photos off some of your old threads.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41993

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45132&p=510164#p510164

Still, it must of been more memorable than plodding up and down the M6 everyday. :laughing:

I remember many years ago a driver saying to a younger driver " I have rolled back more miles than you have driven forward ", when an older driver interrupted and said “you will get the hang of clutch control one day”.

mushroomman:
…Bullitt, you cheeky little (z.b.) curtain puller jockey. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
I noticed that the You Tube video that showed you driving for the United Nations in Bosnia has now disappeared along with all the great photos off some of your old threads.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41993

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45132&p=510164#p510164

Still, it must of been more memorable than plodding up and down the M6 everyday. :laughing: …".

Hi Steve hope you are well. Not sure what happened regarding those photos! I keep trying to find (and failing to find) the enthusiasm to write a book about my adventures over there. I have written one chapter so far!! I also have quite a few hours of video diaries which I want to transfer onto disc and then maybe put on Youtube for others to see. Yes it was definitely better than plodding up and down the M6, or anywhere else for that matter!!! :laughing:

And just to reiterate, Im definitely NOT an “old hand” by any means!! :laughing:

As Mearloaf repeated so often at the end of “Paradise by the dashboard light”; It was long ago and it was far away and oh so much better than it is today.

What was the bird singing at the same time?

Bewick:
So come on Lads this thread is a right [zb] insult to the 50’s/60’s and 70’s ( well maybe the 40’s in “H”'s case! :wink: ) what a cheeky [zb] this Bullitt guy is ! Obviously he is just a “brain dead” steering jockey/ curtain puller and this Lucy bird is bulling the [zb] up ! So lets hear it from the “floor” Cheers Bewick.

To be fair the '80’s produced arguably some of the best ever truck designs,ever seen,before or since. :wink:

ChrisArbon:
As Mearloaf repeated so often at the end of “Paradise by the dashboard light”; It was long ago and it was far away and oh so much better than it is today.

What was the bird singing at the same time?

Ellen Foley

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Foley

Bewick:
So come on Lads this thread is a right [zb] insult to the 50’s/60’s and 70’s ( well maybe the 40’s in “H”'s case! :wink: ) what a cheeky [zb] this Bullitt guy is ! Obviously he is just a “brain dead” steering jockey/ curtain puller and this Lucy bird is bulling the [zb] up ! So lets hear it from the “floor” Cheers Bewick.

Denzil I’d say someone who started in 1980 would of by now put 37 yrs in the job ,( used a calculator for that :laughing: ) now again by my maths that would be longer than you or bewick transport ? So I think on this one you are wrong :wink: cheers Dan’l. :laughing:

I got my Class 1 in 79, but the 80s was my era.
I’ve slept across the seats/engine cover on a board/under the sheet and got digs a couple of times, and to gain more points had to put the bed legs in my boots in the down market ones.

Proficient in (neat) roping and sheeting and know (or used to) my way around a David Brown box.

Never got stuck in snow on Shap, but went over it many times with my Dad…and I’ve eaten in Jungle Cafe.

I’d still pass for 35, …ok by a man on a galloping horse on a dark night, but can I be at least an honorary ‘‘Old Timer’’
I await your decision. :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Denzil I’d say someone who started in 1980 would of by now put 37 yrs in the job ,( used a calculator for that :laughing: ) now again by my maths that would be longer than you or bewick transport ? So I think on this one you are wrong :wink: cheers Dan’l. :laughing:

Bewick:

Punchy Dan:

Bewick:

Can’t follow that “logic” Dan’l as it all depends on which era is used as a comparison. For instance by 1980 I had put in circa 15 years of ■■■■■■■ 'ard going i.e. sheeting and roping etc. I would hazard a guess the 15 years onward from 1980 to the mid '90’s were a lot easier, and I know they were 'cause I was there also. :unamused: I agree that on straight comparison of actual years you are ,of course, correct but the 30 years I put in were harder than the 37 years you are referring to. :wink: Cheers Dennis.

robroy:
I’ve slept across the seats/engine cover on a board/under the sheet and got digs a couple of times, and to gain more points had to put the bed legs in my boots in the down market ones.

Proficient in (neat) roping and sheeting and know (or used to) my way around a David Brown box.

Never got stuck in snow on Shap, but went over it many times with my Dad…and I’ve eaten in Jungle Cafe.

I’d still pass for 35, …ok by a man on a galloping horse on a dark night, but can I be at least an honorary ‘‘Old Timer’’

I rest my case ,this is the evidence :laughing:

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

I rest my case ,this is the evidence :laughing:

:wink: Totally off topic , there was a Josh Punchard Foden in our yard last Saturday , any relation ?

That’s one of my brothers lorries ,the driver is an old timer :laughing: , valley farm way ?

Well, in my opinion, the job is a lot harder nowadays going by a lot of the postings on the ‘Professional’ section of Trucknet? I certainly never had all the myther that the lads driving these days have with all the fancy electrical gubbins etc on the truck that needs a Rocket Scientist to sort out what we fixed with a hammer and screwdriver, plus all the regulations that they have to abide by with trackers etc watching their every move so (again in my opinion) the 80’s were old time to todays youngsters. In the 80’s we were still driving trucks with no spring brakes or ‘fail safe’ braking systems, a basic seat to sit on plus a poxy transmission handbrake that only ever worked on the day it was overhauled, a Gardner 180/201 that ■■■■■■ oil from every orifice and held all the traffic up on hills, air wipers that were hopeless but in those 40 odd years things have come on in leaps and bounds! Yes, the eighties were definately ‘old time’ I reckon!

Pete.

Is the job harder now ? I disagree, I started in the 80’s and the major difference between then and now is we weren’t treated like children, to be watched and over seen - you were given a slip of paper which was your load details and told to ring in when empty… everything in between was down to you as the driver to do/organise. You were trusted to get on with the job
No-one told you the route to take, where to stop for the night, or how to secure the load it was expected that you know that stuff or had the sense to ask another driver.
The most the traffic office would do is say " take some goal posts with you, or back scotches and chocks " for your expected reload.

The jobs not harder now its been dumbed down to the lowest common demoninator
So yes compared to todays tracked/camera’d/Phone “logistics” - the 80’s were old school perhaps at the very end of the era when drivers were in charge of their own working day