Garrood of Newark

Does anybody remember Ted Garrood ~ a well known character in the Newark area?
He was my late husband’s uncle and owned a haulage firm called Garrood Ltd. in the 60s and 70s. The yard was in Pelham Street, Newark, but the company has been dissolved. It seems that his family are now running a car hire business from there but I’ve lost touch with them. I think it’s likely that the haulage business was connected with agricultural products, but I could be wrong.
If anybody remembers Ted or the firm I’d love to hear from you.

Garoods ran several livestock vehicles and also used to build livestock containers under the name Newark Livestock Containers. One of the wagons was often at Tyneside mart.
We had two of their containers, first one was bought new in 1969/70 and was a 24 ft on a Super Comet. As a testament to the quality of the build, I know that one was still in regular use on a farmers trailer in Northumberland up to five years ago and that may still be the case.
The second one was bought new in 1976 and was a 28ft on a Six wheel Daf,we later extended it to 34ft for artic use. Days from Norfolk also had several Newark containers.

As mentioned the build quality and materials used were always of a very high standard, a Newark Box could always be identified by the ribbed aluminium used around the base of the box.

I personally never met anyone from the family but my Dad knew Mr Garood from doing business and I also think they were both on the RHA Livestock committe at the same time in the seventies.

Cheers Tyneside

Thank you so much for that Tyneside, and for confirming that it was agricultural haulage. His father was a farmer and that was the connection. Babs.

Here are a couple of photos for you Babs you will find them at transportphotos.com/road/photos

HuK1706.jpg
HuK1743 (1).jpg
HuK1746 (1).jpg

Oh that’s brilliant, John. Thank you so much.
Regards, Babs.

On page 406 of the Past, Present and in Between thread there is an excellent picture of a new V reg F7 6 wheeler with a Newark container with extra ventilation for pigs.
You can see the basic design of the container has hardly changed over the years.

Tyneside

tyneside:
On page 406 of the Past, Present and in Between thread there is an excellent picture of a new V reg F7 6 wheeler with a Newark container with extra ventilation for pigs.
You can see the basic design of the container has hardly changed over the years.

Tyneside

Blimey Tyneside, that’s some memory you’ve got for you to have remembered where that was!! :open_mouth:

Here’s a link for Babs:

:arrow_right: Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 1) - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK

The pic in question is just over half way down the page.

It’s a B&W pic, and the truck looks to be standing next to an old windmill. :smiley:

tyneside:

Tyneside

Hi Tyneside,
Thanks for that…however I’m new to the world of forums and have really struggled to try and find that photo. I wonder if you’d be so kind as to copy it onto this thread for me?

Thanks, Babs.

tyneside:

Tyneside

We posted at the same time! Thanks Tyneside and dieseldave for your help…got it now
Babs.

Babs:
I wonder if you’d be so kind as to copy it onto this thread for me?

I’ve already taken care of that idea, cos I’ve already asked permission, I await an answer. :wink:

A couple of side views of the ones I have already posted transportphotos.com/road/photos
These were all taken along with the others in 1964 at the Leicester Lorry Driver of the Year

HuK1742.jpg
HuK1745.jpg

Yet again, thanks John.
Babs.

dieseldave:

Babs:
I wonder if you’d be so kind as to copy it onto this thread for me?

I’ve already taken care of that idea, cos I’ve already asked permission, I await an answer. :wink:

Hooray!!

Permission has been obtained… :smiley:

Credit for the pic and permission to repost it in this topic goes to Buzzer… Thanks mate!!

Here you go Babs, enjoy

17880565_287739438345898_3316242889102752117_o.jpg

Thanks both to Buzzer and dieseldave ■■