Old comp. Memories

tennants of forth are still going, do concrete on flats.

:slight_smile:
Alpine Swaden moved from Birkenhead to Ellesmere Port many years ago, and have changed their name to Alpine Storage.

Well Spandlers are still going, although they’ve down-sized a little over the past few months (sold their pallet franchise to Bomfords), and as for Burroughes, check out www.hburroughes.co.uk fantastic website!

gavin c:

Out of Bison concrete at Leeds.

They also still run general haulage in curtainsiders through their yard in Forth.

McKelvies of Paisley also owned the Motherwell company of the same name.
TDG split the company in two and Motherwell became Strathclyde Transport.
TDG was the death of many old established firms,
Sutherlands of Peterhead.
Charles Alexander Aberdeen.
John Rhind Aberdeen.
Inter City ■■■■■■■■■■■■
Glasgow Hiring Company and subsidery Duntocher Haulage.
John Barrie Glasgow.
The list is endless.

Does anyone remember James Gilmore studholme st Liverpool and Walton haulage by Everton’s ground thanks

Loganlea:
Does anyone remember James Gilmore studholme st Liverpool and Walton haulage by Everton’s ground thanks

Do you mean Walton’s that ran red Volvos had 86 and 88s Ali grille? If so yep they hauled out of BSC Shotton, knew 2 of the lads, one had a bad smash on the A41 at Chetwynd Firs in an 86…if it’s the same firm… :open_mouth:

gavin c:

That’s a memory jerker for me. They used to deliver the concrete slabs to our school in 1970 when a new annex was being built and I would stare out of the windows at them (school never captivated me) and imagine driving an artic one day. I don’t know if they had AEC’s or Leylands, just know that they were always ergonomic cabs - obviously I didn’t know that at the time. IIRC they were blue in colour but were sign-written up for Bison.

I think it was Aberdeen Parcels that ran those Marathons.

NEJ and Chris
Now the one I am trying to remember the name of was it “Highland Parcels” who used to run red & green marathons with a cream band and used to have on the side "parcels service to Stornoway and scottish islands etc.

Chris Webb:
I think it was Aberdeen Parcels that ran those Marathons.

I remember delivering dozens of rolls of underlay to a parcels carrier near Paisley I.I.R.C. called Highland Haulage. I think that they had green and red motors about 1973/74. The rolls of underlay went to places all over the far north of Scotland and to some of the islands.

mushroomman:
I remember delivering dozens of rolls of underlay to a parcels carrier near Paisley I.I.R.C. called Highland Haulage. I think that they had green and red motors about 1973/74. The rolls of underlay went to places all over the far north of Scotland and to some of the islands.

Long established and still going.
Oily

Deesider:
Alpine Swaden moved from Birkenhead to Ellesmere Port many years ago, and have changed their name to Alpine Storage.

Alpine Swaden, that brought back some early memories, Deesider is correct, they were based in Pump Road, which was on Alfred Dock Birkenhead, the site is presently occupied by the new Irish Ferry berth, I was part way through my apprenticeship as a H.G.V mechanic and worked for them for a year or so, living across the water in Bootle, it was a bit of a hike to get to work each day especially if my lift was on holiday.

Being the apprentice meant going to the nearby cafe across the " four bridges " it was not uncommon to come out of the cafe with a box of bacon butties and find the bridges were up for a ship to pass through the lock, I was not popular when the cold butties were served.

The owners were Terry Swaden and I think Alan Smith, they would not not employ local drivers, (stayed away from Unions !!) instead employing from the Shropshire / Craven Arms area.

I was offered a job much closer to home and on London wages ( Brain haulage ) who had a depot in Liverpool and I finished my apprenticeship with them.

Regards

John

J.F.G:

Deesider:

Alpine Swaden, that brought back some early memories, Deesider is correct, they were based in Pump Road, which was on Alfred Dock Birkenhead, the site is presently occupied by the new Irish Ferry berth, I was part way through my apprenticeship as a H.G.V mechanic and worked for them for a year or so, living across the water in Bootle, it was a bit of a hike to get to work each day especially if my lift was on holiday.

Being the apprentice meant going to the nearby cafe across the " four bridges " it was not uncommon to come out of the cafe with a box of bacon butties and find the bridges were up for a ship to pass through the lock, I was not popular when the cold butties were served.

The owners were Terry Swaden and I think Alan Smith, they would not not employ local drivers, (stayed away from Unions !!) instead employing from the Shropshire / Craven Arms area.

I was offered a job much closer to home and on London wages ( Brain haulage ) who had a depot in Liverpool and I finished my apprenticeship with them.

Regards

John

The wife’s uncle drove for them, had an F86, used to bring the unit home, was before he worked for Edge Transport, seem to recall he got the job as he lived in Wales and not that local :unamused: :unamused: this was his Edge Motor.

looking at the old companies brought back some memories of now probably long gone hauliers!
Burroughs of Diss [limited to 50mph before speed limiters were fitted]
Spandlers of Gt. Yarmouth
Sutherlands of Peterhead [Gt. Yarmouth to Peterhead trunk] a 3 way changeover Gt. yarmouth to Blyth [notts] Blyth to Carlisle then Carlisle to P/ head [some trunk that seemed to be]
Mitchell Cotts of kings Lynn
Alpine Swaden of Birkenhead B/ head to Cardiff trunk all the way on the old A49
Eyre of Fraserburgh [yellow ERF,s] I remember waiting in hamilton services one thurs. morning awaitiing a call for a back load and a driver form here got a call telling him he was redundant the firm was closing on sat. morning and told to go to london with his load and be back for sat. morning to hand his wagon in his reply was unprintable but suffice to say the boss was told the keys would be put where the sun don,t shine!
A one of Leeds
LPG of Batley [orange tankers]
Tennants of Forth
Danskins of Cupar [2 tone blue F86,s]
Strachans of Turriff [blue & white F88,s]
Mc.Kelvies of Paisley [brown &cream not the ones from motherwell]
Kirkdale Lewis Haulage of Liverpool [used to work for BICC at Prescot]
Now the one I am trying to remember the name of was it “Highland Parcels” who used to run red & green marathons with a cream band and used to have on the side “parcels service to Stornoway and scottish islands etc.” the one I am thinking of used to stop at Blyth cafe nr. Bawtry [Maureen & Trevors]
in the late 1970,s they also owned the Cheerio near to RAF Cranwell
Someone mentioned about Hansons & RJ Normans of Barnsley I remember normans having one or two bonneted Macks all his trucks carried names but the one that sticks in my mind is the one named “Midnight Zulu” a day cab monster that the lad who drove it was a coloured chap who I seem to think his name was Norman he did work before that for Hansons of wakefield
I can think of probably a lot more as time goes on it is nice to remember the good times and the bad ones [few and far between] .

A One went bust about 10 years ago

Liquid Powders and Gases of Batley are now ruuning under the TDG banner as Linkman.

Was the parcel company Sutherlands?