Tachographs on Ferries

Just a quick question, if you interrupt an 11 hour rest period to embark and disembark a ferry, and these movements take a total of 20 minutes, do you have to add that 20 minutes to the 11 hours?

As far as I am aware you can only interupt a nightly rest period once to embark or disembark a ferry but i may be proved wrong and unless you have a full 11 hours of without interuption it will only count as a 9hr rest

you can interupt it twice. as long as you take 11 hours + the movements.
eg. 11 interupted 10 mins on, and 15 mins off. =11 and 25 mins.
the movements must not take more than 1 hour in total.

Harry Monk:
Just a quick question, if you interrupt an 11 hour rest period to embark and disembark a ferry, and these movements take a total of 20 minutes, do you have to add that 20 minutes to the 11 hours?

Yes, you must get 11 hours of rest in 2 or 3 parts.

For example

18:00 end shift and begin rest

4 hours rest

22:00 interrupt rest to board

22:20 resume rest

5 hours 45 minutes rest

04:05 interrupt rest to disembark

04:25 resume rest

1 hour 15 minutes rest

05:40 start new shift

If you did the above but started your new shift at 05:00, 11 hours after starting your daily rest, you will only have taken 10 hours and 20 minutes rest and that would be insufficient as when interrupting a daily rest 11 hours is the minimum required.

It also means on a day when you are intending to make use of the interrupted rest option you cannot do much more than 12 hours from the start of your shift to beginning your rest period so as to leave time for the interruptions and the 11 hours of rest within the 24 hour period.

Paul:
As far as I am aware you can only interupt a nightly rest period once to embark or disembark a ferry but i may be proved wrong and unless you have a full 11 hours of without interuption it will only count as a 9hr rest

The regulations changed nearly 5 years ago and you can now interrupt twice and you can only interrupt a regular daily rest period, at least 11 hours. It does not count as a reduced rest because you take, at least, the full 11 hours.

Article 9

1. By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver
    accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train,
    and takes a regular daily rest period, that period may be
    interrupted not more than twice by other activities not
    exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest
    period the driver shall have access to a bunk or couchette.

Coffeeholic:

Harry Monk:

For example

4 hours rest

5 hours 45 minutes rest

1 hour 15 minutes rest

If you did the above but started your new shift at 05:00, 11 hours after starting your daily rest, you will only have taken 10 hours and 20 minutes rest and that would be insufficient as when interrupting a daily rest 11 hours is the minimum required.

It also means on a day when you are intending to make use of the interrupted rest option you cannot do much more than 12 hours from the start of your shift to beginning your rest period so as to leave time for the interruptions and the 11 hours of rest within the 24 hour period.

Thanks, that’s what I thought but thanks for confirming it.

Coffeeholic:

Harry Monk:

For example

4 hours rest

5 hours 45 minutes rest

1 hour 15 minutes rest

BUT BUT BUT you missed something Mr Neil. What must he have access too?

Spacemonkeypg:

If you’re referring to what I think you’re referring to, he should have no need to say it. The reason is that he uses the word rest, which inherently includes the requirement of access to…

Coffeeholic:

Paul:

The regulations changed nearly 5 years ago and you can now interrupt twice and you can only interrupt a regular daily rest period, at least 11 hours. It does not count as a reduced rest because you take, at least, the full 11 hours.

Article 9

1. By way of derogation from Article 8, where a driver
    accompanies a vehicle which is transported by ferry or train,
    and takes a regular daily rest period, that period may be
    interrupted not more than twice by other activities not
    exceeding one hour in total. During that regular daily rest
    period the driver shall have access to a bunk or couchette.

Spacemonkeypg:

:wink:

Dam one day we’ll catch him out

Its been over 10 years since I last did international work ex cept for my twice yearly runs to Kosovo and we get 11 hours off on the ferry crossing so not clued up on the breaks for ferries rules so thanks for the update on the new rules.

Paul

Spacemonkeypg:

Grumpybum did, once, on a detail :smiley:

Simon:

Spacemonkeypg:

Dang and i missed it

Spacemonkeypg:

Simon:

Spacemonkeypg:

Dang and i missed it

It was a looooooong time ago.

Spacemonkeypg:

Coffeeholic:

Harry Monk:

For example

4 hours rest

5 hours 45 minutes rest

1 hour 15 minutes rest

No I didn’t. This question was about the interruptions and allowing time for them, not the rest periods, and you don’t need access to a bunk or couchette for the interruptions so they weren’t mentioned. :stuck_out_tongue: Plus Harry is a very experienced European driver and doesn’t need stuff he already knows pointing out to him. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

The next post clarifying they ‘new’ interrupted rest option for Paul was about both the rest periods and the interruptions so did need the access to bunk or couchette thing mentioning, and it was. :wink: :smiley:

Cool breeze.

One of our drivers was recently nicked on the A1 for allegedly taking an illegal break, when in fact it was a Ferry Rest Break and the copper didnt understand them…

I have seen the relevant paperwork with my own eyes so know its not a case of drivers ■■■■■■■■, He was fined a total of £180 on the spot(He’s Lithuanian), £60 for a 7hr 44min Break(2nd part of Rest), £60 for an 8hr 12min break(2nd Part of Rest) and £60 because the tacho ran out of paper at the end of the 2nd print out…

I have seen his print outs for the relevant days and he was perefectly legal, the copper obviously didnt undertand Ferry Breaks.

The company are now looking into it for the driver as they know he was all legal and want to know why he he was nicked.

BuzzardBoy:
One of our drivers was recently nicked on the A1 for allegedly taking an illegal break, when in fact it was a Ferry Rest Break and the copper didnt understand them…

I have seen the relevant paperwork with my own eyes so know its not a case of drivers [zb], He was fined a total of £180 on the spot(He’s Lithuanian), £60 for a 7hr 44min Break(2nd part of Rest), £60 for an 8hr 12min break(2nd Part of Rest) and £60 because the tacho ran out of paper at the end of the 2nd print out…

He’s lucky the copper was confused, that one should have been £120.

BuzzardBoy:
I have seen his print outs for the relevant days and he was perefectly legal, the copper obviously didnt undertand Ferry Breaks.

Did his printout show the ferry symbol to indicate the reason for the rest period being interrupted? If not there is no explanation for the rest being in two parts. He also would have had to use the ferry option at the correct time, when he began the interruption, and not when he was on board the ferry.

Has he entered the end country before beginning the first rest period? If not it could be read as him not ending his shift and beginning his rest period and the first part not being taken into consideration.

Were the two rest periods and the interruption(s) completed within the 24-hour period beginning when he started his shift on the day he caught the ferry. If his shift was more than about 12.5 hours in the lead up to catching the ferry then they may not have been and that would attract penalties for insufficient daily rest.

It could look legal if you just add the two rest periods together but if the right buttons were not pushed at the right time then it could leave him open to fines from an over zealous copper.

Coffeeholic:

BuzzardBoy:

I have seen the relevant paperwork with my own eyes so know its not a case of drivers [zb], He was fined a total of £180 on the spot(He’s Lithuanian), £60 for a 7hr 44min Break(2nd part of Rest), £60 for an 8hr 12min break(2nd Part of Rest) and £60 because the tacho ran out of paper at the end of the 2nd print out…

He’s lucky the copper was confused, that one should have been £120.

BuzzardBoy:

Did his printout show the ferry symbol to indicate the reason for the rest period being interrupted? If not there is no explanation for the rest being in two parts. He also would have had to use the ferry option at the correct time, when he began the interruption, and not when he was on board the ferry.

Has he entered the end country before beginning the first rest period? If not it could be read as him not ending his shift and beginning his rest period and the first part not being taken into consideration.

Were the two rest periods and the interruption(s) completed within the 24-hour period beginning when he started his shift on the day he caught the ferry. If his shift was more than about 12.5 hours in the lead up to catching the ferry then they may not have been and that would attract penalties for insufficient daily rest.

It could look legal if you just add the two rest periods together but if the right buttons were not pushed at the right time then it could leave him open to fines from an over zealous copper.

In my eyes it was perfectly legal, exactly the way in which i would have done it. The buttons were all pushed at the correct times, he had only done 11hrs shift time on the first one, and a shade over 12 on the 2nd one. He drove onto the boat in Dumpquerkue, 3 mins driving, then 22 mins to Folkstone on the 1st card, i cant remember exactly the 2nd card but it was similar.

Obviously there may well be discrepancies that i didnt see, but it looks to me tho he did it exactly the same way in which i do, so i better hope i dont get pulled on the A1!

BuzzardBoy:

The company are now looking into it for the driver as they know he was all legal and want to know why he he was nicked.

i had a very similar thing last year. £200 fine from kent police. got it checked by vosa at stafford. total rest was 11 hours and 1 minute. sent off an appeal, and got a no further action letter within a few days.
vosa told me that the police are doing this on a very regular basis.

limeyphil:
i had a very similar thing last year. £200 fine from kent police. got it checked by vosa at stafford. total rest was 11 hours and 1 minute. sent off an appeal, and got a no further action letter within a few days.
vosa told me that the police are doing this on a very regular basis.

As I understand it, you can’t used the ferry movement thing on the Dover-Calais/ Dunkerque ferries because of there being no access to a bunk/couchette.