Ferry and Rest Time

Hi Everyone

Question:

If I rest 1 hr 40 min before the ferry
5 hr 50 min on the boat

How many hours do I have to rest after disembarking?

I did not count time moving on/off the boat.

Many Thanks

time:
Hi Everyone

Question:

If I rest 1 hr 40 min before the ferry
5 hr 50 min on the boat

How many hours do I have to rest after disembarking?

I did not count time moving on/off the boat.

Many Thanks

More information needed, did you use ferry mode, you need to know how much time it took you to complete 2 movements, depends on your actual duty time.

This will interest you. There are much more up to date threads, but read this and see if it becomes clearer.

This was a thread started in 2007 when Member Klunk asked for similar advice.

Coffeeholic:
Better pull up a chair and arm your self with a cup, or glass, of your beverage of choice, this is gonna be a long un. :wink: :smiley: I think I see the problem and I’m sorry to say you are bang to rights, let’s hope you avoid Les Flics for a while.

The insufficient daily rest thing first. You began your daily rest at 16:34 which is 13 hours and 34 minutes after you began work that morning and you are now on a reduced rest period because there are not 11 hours left until the 24-hour period ends at 03:00 the following morning. The problem is you can only interrupt a full daily rest for ferry movements, not a reduced one, and you only have 10 hours and 26 minutes rest time available to you — 13:34 + 10:26 = 24 hours — which is why you were flagged for insufficient daily rest.

It does not matter how much rest you physically take at the end of the shift because if the shift is more than 13 hours you are on a reduced rest period, like it or not. This catches many drivers out but the simple fact is the rest period must fall within the 24-hour period that began when you resumed work after you last rest period, in your case 03:00. Legally you could not board that ferry as you did not have a full daily rest available, due to the shift length of over 13 hours. Because you cannot interrupt a reduced daily rest period the only legal option was to begin your rest when you arrived in the port at 16:00, completed a 9 hour rest at 01:00 and catch the next sailing after that.

Even if you had started your daily rest at 16:00 when you arrived in the port, exactly 13 hours after you started work and then interrupted the rest period twice for the movements on and of the ferry — two movements have been allowed since the rule changes of 11th April - you would still have only taken 10 hours and 6 minutes rest by 03:00 the following morning, the latest your rest period must be completed by, as the other 54 minutes were driving.

Another thing to point out is the movements must be kept to a minimum and 50 minutes is pushing it a bit. If you drove past other suitable stopping places to get to where you parked that could be an issue with VOSA.

Excess driving. You arrived at the port having done 9.5 hours driving and then added 4 minutes to board the ferry and a further 50 minutes for disembarkation which gives a total driving time for the shift of 10 hours and 24 minutes and you are over by 24 minutes. This has resulted in an infringement being flagged.

I am not fully conversant with the workings of the digital tacho yet and am unsure as to why the 50 minutes driving time was added to both days, I suspect it was down to taking insufficient daily rest.

If you were charged by VOSA with this offence it would read something along the lines of ■■ hours with insufficient daily rest. ■■ being the period from 03:00 on day 1 until you took your next daily rest period, presumably at the end of day 2. Given the driving time on day 2 and break requirements — 9.5 hours driving, 1.5 hours breaks and say 30 - 60 minutes other work - ■■ would likely be somewhere in the region of 38 hours — 03:00 on day 1 through to 17:00 on day 2. It makes the offence look far more serious than it was given that you did actually have 10+ hours of rest in that period but it will help gain a conviction.

People always use the ‘grey area’ excuse when the haven’t a clue or are losing the argument, happens on here all the time. :wink: :smiley: The fact is VOSA have issued clear guidelines on how the interrupted daily rest and the movements are to be interpreted. See THIS thread and the post from geebee45 for conformation.

you can only make the movements if you have driving time left, if you have used all your driving time for the day you cannot drive on and off the ferry,

That would cause a bit of a riot :sunglasses:

Maybe so but not liking the rules does not mean you can legally ignore them. :wink: :smiley:

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Sorry to go on about this but until now i have always counted the ferry moves as not counting as driving time on either day as it is not written anywhere in the regs :confused:

Sorry klunk but it is. The fact there is an option to interrupt daily rest while using a ferry or train does not remove any of the other requirements regarding daily driving limits or rest and a daily limit of 9 or 10 hours is clearly stated in the regulations. If there was an exemption to these limits for interrupted daily rest then it would be stated and because it is not then the normal daily limits apply.
[/quote]

:slight_smile: I thought my question is very clear
I want to find out how many hours left after using rest b4 the boat and on the boat.

Ferry mod only can be use on a digital tacho units…
And I also mention that time moving on/off the boat is not counting in my question.

Thanks

time:
:slight_smile: I thought my question is very clear
I want to find out how many hours left after using rest b4 the boat and on the boat.

You have had 7.5 hours rest so will require a further 3.5 hours to give you a total of 11. Those 3.5 hours must be completed before the end of the 24-hour period which began when you started work for the shift which took you to the ferry, meaning you can’t have done much more than 12 - 12.5 hours in the shift.

time:
Ferry mod only can be use on a digital tacho units…

There is no such thing as ‘Ferry Mode’. The only modes associated with the tachograph, both digital and analouge, are Driving, Other Work, POA, Break/Rest. The ferry/train option on the digital tacho is only there to mark the data to explain why you have interrupted the daily rest period because you can’t write an explanation on your digital tacho card as you can on an analogue chart.